Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2019, 08:22 PM   #1
LA ICK WARRIOR
Registered Member

Quarantine water change

Do I use new salt water for water changes or display tank water when changing qt tank water? I'm using a sponge filter(seeded in my dt), live rock( from dt), and small pump for water movement in my qt. I'm using cupramine so I'm planning on matching the level which ever water I use. I just dont want to be adding dt water if its infected you know?

LA ICK WARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2019, 01:12 AM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I think either likely would be fine, although the display water might in theory have a disease that could affect the organisms in quarantine. Is the tank very new? If so, I'd probably use new salt water for changes in the quarantine.

Unread 11/16/2019, 08:16 AM   #3
mike550
Registered Member

I tend to use DT water for water changes to QT since I try to time it with water changes for the DT. Good point about risk of bringing something in from DT — haven’t really thought about that. Also assuming that by using DT the fish is getting more acclimated to DT chemistry over the course of quarantine

mike550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2019, 10:41 AM   #4
ROlympia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
... in theory have a disease that could affect the organisms in quarantine.
Why does that matter if it's bound for the DT anyway?

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlympia View Post
Why does that matter if it's bound for the DT anyway?
That is what im wondering too if the DT is pest free? Only the QT would get copper or any meds so im lost here, but am open minded & willing to learn why its a bad idea if so.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2019, 08:23 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Well, if you quarantine the fish long enough, a fair number of diseases might die out before the new arrivals get into the display tank. Also, if they have diseases or injuries from shipment, a break and some recuperation before adding any new diseases to their problems might be useful.

Unread 11/17/2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Think i get it,
So your saying the DT may well contain ick or something but not show it on any inhabitants but the new fish being stressed could then contract it. So by using new clean SW the new fish is protected from this till its certain its healthy & ready to handle this issue if its a concern. That makes sense to me for fish additions.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2019, 12:14 PM   #8
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
Think i get it,
So your saying the DT may well contain ick or something but not show it on any inhabitants but the new fish being stressed could then contract it. So by using new clean SW the new fish is protected from this till its certain its healthy & ready to handle this issue if its a concern. That makes sense to me for fish additions.

If this is going to happen, I’d rather it happen in QT where I can deal with it, than after introducing the fish to the DT (which is still going to be a stressful transition, even after QT). So, I use DT water for QT water changes. That’s the water they’re going to be in soon anyway, might as get used to it in a more controlled environment where I can treat if something pops up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote