Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/09/2011, 02:08 PM   #1
HOBrien
Registered Member

Large Cube or Cylinder Idea!!!!

I have been contemplating over the last several months if if I would do it as a cube or cylinder tank.

Can yall give me + and - for either.

I was thinking the smallest cube it would be 72x72x24 and upto 96x96x30.

Give some input on this as well.

This will be the center piece of the room it will go into and will have seating on all 4 sides.

I have several other questions about equipment and such but I would like opinions on these two first.

Thanks
Heath

Current Tank Info: Have a Neo Nano just set up.
HOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2011, 05:45 AM   #2
atreis
Registered Member

IMO: Cube. Easier to clean the sides and flat panes distort the stuff inside less.

Current Tank Info: custom 100g reef, custom sump
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2011, 08:14 AM   #3
AquaticFins
Premium Member

Cost will also be a substantial difference. In the grand scheme of things, of course, the initial cost of the tank is a fairly minor expense for a tank this large...but a cylinder will likely be several times the cost of a cube of similar dimensions.

I agree that the cube will also be easier to clean.

AquaticFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2011, 10:15 AM   #4
HOBrien
Registered Member

ok, that is exactly what I was thinking and finding out from research.

So as far as skimming goes would you use several smaller skimmers or just 1 large one?

Unread 09/10/2011, 02:13 PM   #5
launchnukes
Registered Member

Id say one large one. Who wants to clean multiple skimmers?

Previous Tank: 300DD Display 500g system.
launchnukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2011, 03:58 PM   #6
HOBrien
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchnukes View Post
Id say one large one. Who wants to clean multiple skimmers?
I was thinking that I would have a atleast 2 skimmer sections 1 before refugium and 1 after or both before.

Unread 09/11/2011, 03:31 PM   #7
HOBrien
Registered Member

Well After doing some thinking I would have to go with something no larger than 72" front to back due to doorway clearance entering the house.

So on tank height would you suggest 30" or 36"?

Unread 09/11/2011, 03:41 PM   #8
dave.m
Registered Member

Just a question: whether 72" x 72" or 96" x 96", how are you going to reach the middle of the tank if it is the centrepiece of the room? You would have to have some sort of movable scaffolding to do that. Just a thought.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2011, 04:39 PM   #9
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Just a question: whether 72" x 72" or 96" x 96", how are you going to reach the middle of the tank if it is the centrepiece of the room? You would have to have some sort of movable scaffolding to do that. Just a thought.

Dave.M
A tank that big is most likely going to be acrylic, especially if it's a cylinder. Large acrylic tanks have very strong center/cross braces, that can easily supper the wait of a person. Do large cylinder tanks have cross bracing?

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2011, 06:15 PM   #10
dave.m
Registered Member

Cross-bracing isn't the issue. The point is that no matter the size of the tank, one has to include maintenance in one's total vision of not just building the system but operating it on a day-to-day basis. If you put a tank on a stand in the middle of the room you are going to have to consider how you are going to climb up to the height of the stand, how far you are going to have to lean over (in?) to reach all areas of the tank, as part of regular maintenance.

I do not meant to be discouraging at all. I am simply trying to point out that there are going to be some logistics involved as part of the planning process. Some people draw computer mock-ups to get an idea of what it is they are planning. This takes a lot of skill. Another way to do it is to get some cardboard boxes and build a life-sized mock-up and put it where you intend to put your real tank.

Get used to the physical totality of it. A tank this big (this is, after all, the Large Tank forum) is going to be a very real presence in the room. We all dream of putting in the mega-tank of our dreams. I'm just suggesting getting a practical handle on the reality of what you are proposing.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2011, 07:18 PM   #11
HOBrien
Registered Member

To me having it centered in the room will be easier to maintain than if it was against a wall as I would have any access from behind tank. Initially there will be alot more maintanance to do as in any new aquarium than there should be down the road if done right.

I have had 200gallon tank and had to have very little hands in tank maintinance after a few months of setup as my filtration and refugium handled it and I just had to maintain it. The equipment that will be bought and used will be overrated enough as in this last tank.

I didnt take anything personal and nothing is personally directed towards anyone to start anything.

Unread 10/18/2018, 12:05 AM   #12
bertcmg
Premium Member

I've had a 4 ft by 4ft Cylinder tank. When I build another again, I would go no more than 24 inches tall because of access / cleaning issues. It would be worse for a wider tank still.
A wide but short tank is a nicer look in my opinon.

Also, the braces on a cylinder run around the rim and as such cannot be trusted to hold your weight.

bertcmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 09:43 AM   #13
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

I've had a 2.5 foot wide, 3 foot tall tank. It's a royal pain to try and clean. I had to drain the tank about 1/2 way down and climb in to clean it. My gut/chest hurt every time after leaning over the sides to get to the bottom. Reaching the back was even harder from the front of the tank. Luckily I had some access to the back of the tank.

Even though the 3 foot tall tank looks awesome and my fish loved the extra swimming room, I won't go above 30" if I ever get another tank.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 04:49 PM   #14
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

I had a 5 foot by 6 foot tank and Dave's comment was absolutely true, however didnt have that tank 7 years ago when this thread was first made

Unread 10/19/2018, 05:30 PM   #15
fijisrfr
Registered Member

I would go with the “cube”
Cube in quotations cuz neither of the “cubes” you are thinking of are cubes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 08:21 PM   #16
jestronix
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertcmg View Post
I've had a 4 ft by 4ft Cylinder tank. When I build another again, I would go no more than 24 inches tall because of access / cleaning issues. It would be worse for a wider tank still.
A wide but short tank is a nicer look in my opinon.

Also, the braces on a cylinder run around the rim and as such cannot be trusted to hold your weight.
Second that! I just built a 1000 by 1000 by 500 cube. 20" is perfect, i can reach every part of the tank without yelling! i used to have a 30" high tank looked great, but got sick of the extra work! also insane lighting needed.

jestronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2018, 06:19 PM   #17
nikon187
Registered Member

lol no updates in 7 yrs.. we have 2 120 x 48 x 24 at the store and it is a pain to reach the middle of the tanks and thats only 48"wide

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2018, 06:22 PM   #18
fijisrfr
Registered Member

ARRGH!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2018, 08:31 PM   #19
tc2007
Registered Member

If you are handy, King of DIY on youtube made a large cube using 2 recycled 6' tanks. Also round tanks will probably have distortion issues.

Unread 11/07/2018, 08:12 AM   #20
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
A tank that big is most likely going to be acrylic, especially if it's a cylinder. Large acrylic tanks have very strong center/cross braces, that can easily supper the wait of a person. Do large cylinder tanks have cross bracing?
+1 to it being acrylic and the support braces being able to hold a person. I have a tank about the size you're thinking of doing (84x72x24) and I can tell you that you have to get in the tank to do most things and clearly the footprint is massive for the tank. I would suggest plumbing a drain for easy water changes otherwise you will be hauling buckets for hrs

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 11:48 PM   #21
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post

I do not meant to be discouraging at all. I am simply trying to point out that there are going to be some logistics involved as part of the planning process. Some people draw computer mock-ups to get an idea of what it is they are planning. This takes a lot of skill. Another way to do it is to get some cardboard boxes and build a life-sized mock-up and put it where you intend to put your real tank.

Dave.M
I do not have a large tank by any means coming in at 210 gallons but I just wanted to say really consider or hear what Dave.M is saying. My tank is small but it is 30" tall. The stand is also 30" tall. I like it but I do not like having to do something in the tank that requires me to reach the bottom. And it does happen be it a larger silly turbo snail or trying to place a coral.

The tank is 54" wide x 30" tall x 30" deep. So just wanted to sort of reemphasize that bit about leaning, working on, maintenance, etc. Once you have it all done I don't think it will matter has much. But has it matures and you build, maintain it....I'm seconding guessing some of my choices

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote