Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2015, 10:25 AM   #851
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montireef View Post
It seems that parvilucifera finally got rid of my ostreopsis problem. I keep some of it to share with whoever needs it (or just myself if it comes back).

Now I have a slight amphidinium problem, another kind of dino which is easier to deal with. I think I'm going to try the Kordon way and check if it works. Corals seem to start thriving again.
It's funny you mention the last part. I don't have a current scope to ascertain what genus I currently have, but individual cells are quite large and a easily visible with the naked eye, taking on that characteristic "grainy" appearance. While the onset of the bloom was very fast, they are slowly starving themselves. They don't seem to be nearly as resilient as the Ostreopsis I had before and, surprisingly, aren't currently killing everything in sight. There are two things the bloom coincided with--re-commencement of homemade two part dosing and fresh carbon (from an old bucket from BRS). I have started dosing kalkwasser instead to at least address Ca/alk needs while I rule things out.

As far as the Kordon product goes, I thought I had some, but apparently not. I will obtain some, as no one locally has it, but I will wait to see how the current situation plays out. Something is definitely prompting the blooms, as nothing else had changed other than those two factors. Could be a coincidence, but I don't like just how coincidental the two additions above actually were. Will keep updating.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Amphiprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 10:55 AM   #852
glweek
Registered Member

On day 2 of my peroxide journey. 5ml of 3% every 24hrs on a 50gal total system, tank is wrapped up in boxes right now for a 72hr lights out portion. ill then run low lights for the next few days then back to normal lighting and continue dosing every 24hrs until everything dies or im happy. I have two clowns, one royal grama, one cleaner shrimp, clean up crew, macro algae and a mixed reef. I am also currently running my skimmer, GAC and GFO during the process. If that doesn't work in the next 14 days ill start adding Kordon.

We will see how it goes.

glweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 10:56 AM   #853
Fishmommy
Registered Member

I found Fauna Marine Algae-X, supposedly kills dinos.
I am about to try it for green algae, but have a small patch of dinos that hopefully will die also. I'll let you know.

Unread 03/01/2015, 11:15 AM   #854
Royce7586
Registered Member

Algae X only killed like 20% of my dinos. Kinda made me think that maybe I had 2 different types at the same time.

Kordon doesnt seem to kill them...turn them from brown to dead white color, it just seems to drastically slow their growth. After siphoning out the dinos they do not grow back like they normally do

Royce7586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 09:59 AM   #855
mfaso24
Registered Member

So I'm at about a little over a week with no water change and Dino's are starting to go all over. What do you guys think I should do? Keep going no water change or take another course of action?

mfaso24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 10:03 AM   #856
mfaso24
Registered Member

You can see all these strings on the glass. This is pretty much what it's looking like.

Unread 03/02/2015, 04:03 PM   #857
Phlud
Registered Member

First off I want to think everyone for the wealth of information regarding dinos. It is by far the single most informed and detailed collection of facts regarding dinos in our reef tanks, that I have found anywhere online. Took me several days of reading but finally made it through all 35 pages.

Without a microscope I know its just a guess, but I believe I have amphidinum.
It does disappear with black outs, but returns 1-2 weeks after. I have also been using H202 at around 2ml/10gal with some success.

The issue started about a month ago. I identified it when thin brown strings were attaching to various spots of shells in my substrate. I also found several brown strands on my pom pom xenia. It was not matting and all the strands were only about 1-3cm long. I wanted to catch it early so I started dosing H202 and on the 4th day of dosing went lights out for 48hrs. This caused it disappear visually. (Obviously it remained in my water column)
Roughly 2 weeks later I noticed a single 1/2 inch strand on my zoas and 2 small strings on my xenia again. So I repeated the same treatment.
Though I have been dosing H202 @ 2ml/10gal twice a day, more agressive than is usually recommended, for 14 days and stopped last friday.
Yesterday (2days after stopping H202) it showed back up.
I noticed my goniopora not fully extending. Closer examination showed about (6) seperate one inch strands coming off the polyps. I was hoping this was just the coral dispelling waste. But as the strands blew loose they attached to nearby rocks and swayed for 30 min or so before being blown into the water column. When floating in the water column the pieces stayed together for about a minute then slowly dissolved. Strings only show up during the last half of my 6hr light cycle.

Has anyone else had any variation of dinos attach only to certain corals?

I have a mix of LPS and SPS. My xenia and goniopora seem to be magnets for dinos while none of my other coral get any strings.

Last edited by Phlud; 03/02/2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Spilling
Phlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 04:56 PM   #858
Royce7586
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaso24 View Post
So I'm at about a little over a week with no water change and Dino's are starting to go all over. What do you guys think I should do? Keep going no water change or take another course of action?
Water changes dont help other then letting you siphon out the dinos. You should be siphoning them out filtering the water through something and then returning the water to the tank

Unread 03/02/2015, 05:52 PM   #859
cal_stir
Registered Member

water changes always fueled the bloom in my case, i'm about 4 months with no water changes, aggressive removal and siphoning and filtering has worked for me. a few weeks ago i removed as much of my substrate as i could and that helped a lot, i still see a few dinos under the microscope but mostly diatoms an other algaes, corals and rocks are clean and no strings, if not for the microscope i wouldn't know i have any dinos, i'm going to do a WC soon to see what happens, just trying to get up the nerve.
i have ostreopsis.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 07:27 PM   #860
mfaso24
Registered Member

Just curious if anybody actually know how common it is for people to get Dino blooms in the reef hobby in general.

Unread 03/02/2015, 08:12 PM   #861
Kearnel
Registered Member

I've been battling some variation of this for about 4 months or so now. Don't which it is but it's definitely not the lethal sort, nothing has died and nothing is really affected by it. I blow it off with a baster, syphon up the gravel, return what water I can and top up with fresh. I still do my regular water change routine and normal maintenance but I have started doing the h202 at 30ml. I've also turned my lights wayyyyyyy down. Chanel one on my Evergrow is at 20% max during the day and chanel 2 hits 10% max during the day and I believe it's only at max for 0.5 hrs. I've been overfeeding and adding a coral vitamin supplements to try and put nutrients back into the water. Today was the first day in months that I came home and was able to do nothing to it because growth was almost non existent. I know it means little because it could just be a fluke but man it was nice to be with my wife and kids instead of up to my elbows in salt water. I hope I'm onto something, I'd love to find that perfect balance because all I've done with this tank is fight with it for the last 2.5 year's.

Kearnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 01:23 AM   #862
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaso24 View Post
Just curious if anybody actually know how common it is for people to get Dino blooms in the reef hobby in general.
I think everyone has them in small numbers and blooms to be much more common than we like to admit.
It would be interesting to test if one of the phases with new tanks is dinos and the "diatom" blooms to be looked at under a microscope.
In my small community of reefers they seem to be in most tanks in visible numbers.

If you don't know how to look they go unnoticed and that is the case with almost all small blooms.

---

I'm able to do water changes now without causing an increase in dinos.
If I don't corals will lose their color and tissue rapidly.
Does that sound like a familiar unexplained problem in the hobby?

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 10:03 AM   #863
calistyle
Registered Member

Can anyone ID this?

Video:

Last edited by calistyle; 03/03/2015 at 10:58 AM.
calistyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 12:16 PM   #864
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calistyle View Post
Can anyone ID this?

Video:

ID:Satan lol but no I'm pretty sure you need a microscope to ID

Unread 03/03/2015, 12:21 PM   #865
Montireef
Registered Member

You have many things there, besides some rock, LOL

I bet cianobacteria + dinoflagellates

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 12:50 PM   #866
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that the slime might be cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates. It'd probably take a microscope to be sure, though.

Unread 03/03/2015, 01:10 PM   #867
calistyle
Registered Member

I had cyno real bad and did chemiclean, which helped.

I've since done 3 - 30G water changes over a months time to get Nitrates down. As of now I'm sitting at .03 po4 and 10ppm no3.

I have no problem using h202, did so in the past (on my nano) with red turf algae and had great success.

That said, what do you think my best plan of attack is?

I'm thinking of trying the Kordon Ich treatment, but see limited cases on this thread.

Fish and coral are fine, CUC too for the most part.

Unread 03/03/2015, 01:19 PM   #868
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
I had cyno real bad and did chemiclean, which helped.

I've since done 3 - 30G water changes over a months time to get Nitrates down. As of now I'm sitting at .03 po4 and 10ppm no3.

I have no problem using h202, did so in the past (on my nano) with red turf algae and had great success.

That said, what do you think my best plan of attack is?

I'm thinking of trying the Kordon Ich treatment, but see limited cases on this thread.

Fish and coral are fine, CUC too for the most part.

You could try fauna Marin algae x. After doing a bit of research this seemed to help a good amount. Bought some and am waiting for it to come in.

Unread 03/03/2015, 01:20 PM   #869
mfaso24
Registered Member

Has anybody hear heard of or used the product dinoXAL? Don't know if it's available In the US. But supposedly it has good results.

Unread 03/03/2015, 02:37 PM   #870
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Can anyone ID this?
It is Cyano on top and dinos underneath.
Removing the Cyano with chemicals does not help with the dino problem.

A microscope is the next step.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 03:25 PM   #871
Montireef
Registered Member

I agree with DNA.
Microscope is a must

Unread 03/03/2015, 04:16 PM   #872
mfaso24
Registered Member

Hypothetical question: how do you tear down your tank and restart using the same livestock without reintroducing the Dino's?

Unread 03/03/2015, 04:35 PM   #873
Montireef
Registered Member

No way.

Unread 03/03/2015, 09:08 PM   #874
mfaso24
Registered Member

Was just thinking like what would happen if a large public aquarium had a major outbreak of this stuff...like LI aquariums 20,000 gallon reef display.

Unread 03/03/2015, 09:36 PM   #875
Royce7586
Registered Member

Dinoxal is the same as fauna marin ultra algae x, becareful with it I think I overdosed and it killed a few of my sps faster then the dinos were killing them