Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2017, 10:06 PM   #2126
Punchanello
Registered Member

Great thread!

I've read through a lot of it and am confident about setting my quarantine system up. My only question is about biological filtration.

I'm using a HOB filter with ceramic rings and some floss. It will be a permanent QT. I expect there will be a steady stream of fish going through quarantine for a period of time but there will also be periods without fish so no waste to feed the denitrifying bacteria. Is this an issue? Should I dump a prawn in there every week it runs fallow?

My tank build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647315
Punchanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 08:28 AM   #2127
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchanello View Post
Great thread!

I've read through a lot of it and am confident about setting my quarantine system up. My only question is about biological filtration.

I'm using a HOB filter with ceramic rings and some floss. It will be a permanent QT. I expect there will be a steady stream of fish going through quarantine for a period of time but there will also be periods without fish so no waste to feed the denitrifying bacteria. Is this an issue? Should I dump a prawn in there every week it runs fallow?
You should break down the tank and clean everything thoroughly between tank inhabitants. As far as setting the tank back up for new arrivals and having enough biological filtration I use this product religiously and have never had a issue.https://www.tlc-products.com/startsm...w-tank-set-up/
Use frag20 for 20% off

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 05:54 PM   #2128
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia12 View Post
Thanks for some really amazing suggestions here. Jbtw I'd also like to add mine suggestions here. I think you guys should go for it and get some really amazing filters and other aquariam stuff over there. https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/...ic.php?t=41771
I referenced a saltwater product that actually works, you are pushing a freshwater forum or something similar on a saltwater forum...

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs

Last edited by Dmorty217; 10/20/2017 at 06:12 PM.
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 12:18 PM   #2129
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Is there any difference, pro/con, in using a powerhead vs an air stone (I'm assuming one needs a pump for the air stone too)?

I picked up a 20 gallon tank and a HOB filter for QT down the road.

Is a 50 Watt heater enough for QT, or better to just get a 100-150 Watt heater and have an extra for back up on main DT?
(Main DT is 150 gal)

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 12:37 PM   #2130
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
Is there any difference, pro/con, in using a powerhead vs an air stone (I'm assuming one needs a pump for the air stone too)?

I picked up a 20 gallon tank and a HOB filter for QT down the road.

Is a 50 Watt heater enough for QT, or better to just get a 100-150 Watt heater and have an extra for back up on main DT?
(Main DT is 150 gal)

50watts not enough to heat a 20 gallon. If you put a larger heater it will heat up the tank faster and shut off earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 02:39 AM   #2131
Tastee
Registered Member

Hi, I am a long time freshwater aquarist but new to the saltwater hobby. I’ve been going through this thread which has absolutely fantastic information about QTs. I have a question about a choice of tank for the QT I would love some feedback on.

My DT is 40 gal (200L) with a 10g sump (40L) - Red Sea Reefer 250. Currently stocked with 2 clownfish, one anemone (not yet adopted), 6 corals and 2 hermit crabs. All healthy with no sign of parasites or disease. It has been running for a little under 3 months and I am planning for the next phase in stocking. Filtration is ~60 lb live rock in the DT, the standard Red Sea sponge, Marine Pure, Polyfilter and Torque skimmer in the sump.

I want to setup a QT for the upcoming livestock and also for use as a HT if and as needed. Due mostly to space limitations in our house I plan to keep to a single tank, and not having it running permanently - run initially whilst stocking, convert to HT if needed and then take it down, clean and rebirth as HT or QT as needed in future. I plan to keep ceramic and other media in the sump seeded and ready to go to reduce cycling in the QT/HT.

I am considering two tanks for QT/HT and would like opinions as to which you would recommend. Both are easy to source in my region (Sydney Australia).

1. Aqua One 320T 36L (9 gal)
2. Aqua One Reflex 35 35L (8 gal)

The former has a hood which appeals to me to reduce evaporation, the latter is open top, making an auto top up more important. Different filtration setups also.

I currently have an older version of the Aqua One 380 which is a similar design to the 320T as my freshwater tank and it is a very robust and reliable tank with good simple and effective filtration, which also leans me towards to the 320T.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Brad.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 02:59 AM   #2132
Tastee
Registered Member

QT question tank links

Here are links to the tanks.

320: http://www.aquaone.com.au/product-ra.../2950-52090gwh

For some reason Aqua One don’t have the 320T on their site - it is simply a taller version of the 320.

Reflex 35: http://www.aquaone.com.au/2015-04-16...s-aquarium-35l

Unread 11/11/2017, 07:02 AM   #2133
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
Hi, I am a long time freshwater aquarist but new to the saltwater hobby. I’ve been going through this thread which has absolutely fantastic information about QTs. I have a question about a choice of tank for the QT I would love some feedback on.

My DT is 40 gal (200L) with a 10g sump (40L) - Red Sea Reefer 250. Currently stocked with 2 clownfish, one anemone (not yet adopted), 6 corals and 2 hermit crabs. All healthy with no sign of parasites or disease. It has been running for a little under 3 months and I am planning for the next phase in stocking. Filtration is ~60 lb live rock in the DT, the standard Red Sea sponge, Marine Pure, Polyfilter and Torque skimmer in the sump.

I want to setup a QT for the upcoming livestock and also for use as a HT if and as needed. Due mostly to space limitations in our house I plan to keep to a single tank, and not having it running permanently - run initially whilst stocking, convert to HT if needed and then take it down, clean and rebirth as HT or QT as needed in future. I plan to keep ceramic and other media in the sump seeded and ready to go to reduce cycling in the QT/HT.

I am considering two tanks for QT/HT and would like opinions as to which you would recommend. Both are easy to source in my region (Sydney Australia).

1. Aqua One 320T 36L (9 gal)
2. Aqua One Reflex 35 35L (8 gal)

The former has a hood which appeals to me to reduce evaporation, the latter is open top, making an auto top up more important. Different filtration setups also.

I currently have an older version of the Aqua One 380 which is a similar design to the 320T as my freshwater tank and it is a very robust and reliable tank with good simple and effective filtration, which also leans me towards to the 320T.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Brad.
bigger the better, having a hood over the tank will increase heat inside the tank and water and also reduce air exchange which could lead to low oxygen and low pH.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 08:28 AM   #2134
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

Gmtagging along as I will be setting up a quarantine as well. Good post

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 10:59 PM   #2135
Rs Reef
Registered Member

Great info

Rs Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 02:22 PM   #2136
Esh1
Registered Member

Great thread! it's helped me setup my own QT and figure out what supplies needed. Thanks everyone!

Esh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 08:20 AM   #2137
Tom39
Registered Member

TTM Quarantining Question

So I am on day 10 of quarantining a lawnmower blenny using the TTM. http://www.tanktransfermethod.com/node/1
Last night was my 3rd transfer and since then I have cleaned all of the equipment and have it set out to dry. But one question comes to mind when drying out the equipment.
The procedures indicate that you are to dry the tank and equipment between transfers for a minimum of 24 hrs and I was wondering if there was a significance to the 24hr time period? Like maybe there a specific amount of time that it takes the Trophont to dry out and die or is it simply an approximated time that is reasonable to assume that everything is dry and the Trophonts are all dead?

Thank in advance,
Tom

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 08:47 AM   #2138
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom39 View Post
So I am on day 10 of quarantining a lawnmower blenny using the TTM. http://www.tanktransfermethod.com/node/1
Last night was my 3rd transfer and since then I have cleaned all of the equipment and have it set out to dry. But one question comes to mind when drying out the equipment.
The procedures indicate that you are to dry the tank and equipment between transfers for a minimum of 24 hrs and I was wondering if there was a significance to the 24hr time period? Like maybe there a specific amount of time that it takes the Trophont to dry out and die or is it simply an approximated time that is reasonable to assume that everything is dry and the Trophonts are all dead?

Thank in advance,
Tom
You are correct, the reason you want it dry for 24 hours is some things can't survive. Namely, I know the Tank Transfer Method is used for marine Ich. If its dry for that long, the Ich won't survive. It is an overshoot of the actual likely required time to be safe.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 04:44 PM   #2139
Phistick
Registered Member

Sorry to ask what is the ATO that you mentioned at the beginning that I might need in my QT tank?

Phistick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 07:27 PM   #2140
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phistick View Post
Sorry to ask what is the ATO that you mentioned at the beginning that I might need in my QT tank?
Automatic top off system. This system will replace evaporated water in tank with fresh ro-di water.
Because qt is a small system with higher load it's best to replace evaporated water right away via ato so there is minimal salinity shock.

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
Unread 02/16/2018, 01:29 PM   #2141
Phistick
Registered Member

Thanks for that!

Unread 02/16/2018, 05:00 PM   #2142
Phistick
Registered Member

Is ParaGuard by Seachem a good product to use for the first two weeks in my QT?

Unread 02/17/2018, 05:19 PM   #2143
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phistick View Post
Is ParaGuard by Seachem a good product to use for the first two weeks in my QT?
Yes you can use paraguard. Make sure not to use too many meds in the tank at same time.
Safe reefing

Unread 03/07/2018, 01:02 AM   #2144
Tastee
Registered Member

Dr Reef, thanks for the reply. I went with the (partially) open top Reflex 35 option and it has worked very well, allowed me to hide the hardware, mount a fan and ATO. Here is a photo for anyone who is interested.

Thanks, Brad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 03/07/2018, 04:49 AM   #2145
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
Dr Reef, thanks for the reply. I went with the (partially) open top Reflex 35 option and it has worked very well, allowed me to hide the hardware, mount a fan and ATO. Here is a photo for anyone who is interested.

Thanks, Brad.

looking good, safe reefing

Unread 04/23/2018, 09:41 PM   #2146
Seastar112786
Registered Member

Hello I am new to this site and saltwater tanks I made a post on a blog I believe and cannot seem to find it or see if someone wrote back also I wanted to make a blog because my fish is looking like he is maybe sick I just got him a few days ago and I think he maybe has itch or velv. I don’t remember seeing these dots on him before and he is not really acting the same or maybe I’m paranoid and panicking but just want to make sure he is ok please private message me I at least know how to find that thanks 🙏

Seastar112786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2018, 11:33 PM   #2147
FortyFour
Registered Member

Marinepure & prazipro

I plan on using marinepure from my refugium into a newly setup QT. While there, I’ll be treating with prazipro. Should I be worried about it leaching back into my DT when finished? Anyone drying it out before putting it back into their sump? Or just rinsing (rodi or salt water?)? Thanks.

FortyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 11:08 PM   #2148
peekay
Registered Member

I just setup a 20 gallon QT tank with a HOB filter with floss, powerhead, heater, and lights put a piece of cooked shrimp in it for about 24 hours and the water is really cloudy. I removed the shrimp as I think this is an indication of an ammonia spike? I have no idea.

Where does this magical bacteria come from? My entire QT tank is completely new. The water was RO/DI mixed with IO salt to 1.026...will the bacteria appear? Where does it come from? I'm thinking of getting some of that StartSmart stuff. Was having the shrimp in there one day long enough? I'm currently setting up a 100g DT with a 40g sump. The QT tank is in anticipation of residents within the next few months.

Oh and happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

PK

peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 11:34 PM   #2149
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay View Post
Where does this magical bacteria come from? My entire QT tank is completely new. The water was RO/DI mixed with IO salt to 1.026...will the bacteria appear? Where does it come from? I'm thinking of getting some of that StartSmart stuff. Was having the shrimp in there one day long enough? I'm currently setting up a 100g DT with a 40g sump. The QT tank is in anticipation of residents within the next few months.
Best bet is to buy some bacteria in a bottle (e.g. Bio-spira), and use that to cycle your QT. You can dose a little ammonium hydroxide to test out the capabilities of your QT's biofilter: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/...niaCycling.php

If your QT can process 1-2ppm within 24 hours, you are good to go. Ace Janitorial Strength Ammonia is what I use (contains no surfactants): https://www.acehardware.com/departme...cleaners/10183

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 12:22 AM   #2150
Tastee
Registered Member

Bacteria in a bottle will certainly speed things up, and I use it too, but it is not absolutely necessary. Bacteria is everywhere and the QT will self speed without any other additions - just takes longer. Airborne bacteria will just move on in over time.