Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2020, 01:33 PM   #1
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Tunze Stream 3 challenge

I have 2 Stream 3 6150 pumps where one has some problems, the pump has stopped and the blue light is blinking on the controller unit.
Both pumps are connected to a 7000 Smart controller, and are between 3 to 4 years old without any problems before now.

The pump has been cleaned and mounted correct.

Any other measures I can do to make it work?

Current Tank Info: 165 gallon mixed reef tank with RoyalExclusiv 45 gallon ECO Dreambox sump, BubbleKing DoubleCone 200 internal skimmer and Philips CoralCare Gen2 ligthing, Tunze Stream 3 circulation and KH controlled with an Alkatronic KH Controller and Dosetronic

Last edited by NorwayEagle; 04/06/2020 at 01:41 PM.
NorwayEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 06:12 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Have you tried the pumps without the 7000 connected? With the oldest Stream 3, sometimes the frame that holds the bearing is broken due to a manufacturing problem, please check this as well, to see it you must remove the L shaped plate that the magnets are attached to that covers the bottom.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 07:30 AM   #3
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

I have disconnected the 7000 controller without any improvement.
Have also deattached the L shaped bearing for magnets, loosened by counterclockwise screw the bottom 2-3 turns.
I have also cross checked with another PSU as this usually have been a reason for failures on my many Tunze products.

I have opened a case through Tunze in Europe and wait for inputs.

Maybe you have any additional tips?

Current Tank Info: 165 gallon mixed reef tank with RoyalExclusiv 45 gallon ECO Dreambox sump, BubbleKing DoubleCone 200 internal skimmer and Philips CoralCare Gen2 ligthing, Tunze Stream 3 circulation and KH controlled with an Alkatronic KH Controller and Dosetronic
Unread 04/07/2020, 09:31 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The bearing adjustment must be very precise, loosening it this much would be unusual. Is the frame that this screw is in broken in any way? It should have no cracks or breaks. The quick procedure to adjust the bearing is to tighten the screw until the drive unit pops out of the pump, be careful that it does not shoot out to the floor and is broken, then back out the bearing 1/4 turn and reinstall the drive unit. The video shows a more elaborate method that ensures the quietest operation and the most efficiency. At the factory this setting is done in minutes of angle and is more elaborate and the video tries to as closely match this without special equipment- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK-A...&index=21&t=0s

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 04/07/2020, 11:04 AM   #5
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The bearing adjustment must be very precise, loosening it this much would be unusual. Is the frame that this screw is in broken in any way? It should have no cracks or breaks. The quick procedure to adjust the bearing is to tighten the screw until the drive unit pops out of the pump, be careful that it does not shoot out to the floor and is broken, then back out the bearing 1/4 turn and reinstall the drive unit. The video shows a more elaborate method that ensures the quietest operation and the most efficiency. At the factory this setting is done in minutes of angle and is more elaborate and the video tries to as closely match this without special equipment- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK-A...&index=21&t=0s
There is a crack as shown in picture.

In the meantime I have bought a new identical pump, but like to repair this and use as backup, which parts should be ordered?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E0FA8B71-1B65-4271-851D-9C263A07A3DB.jpeg (78.7 KB, 11 views)

Unread 04/07/2020, 12:25 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

This is a terminal failure, it cannot be repaired, the factory will replace it under warranty. This was caused by an employee not following the correct assembly procedure in the very earliest pumps that were produced, their can be small cracks that later lead to the frame breaking.

Unread 04/07/2020, 12:53 PM   #7
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Thanks, then I wait for a follow up on my created case at Tunze.
By the way the pump has been working faultless since January 2017, but if I understand you Roger this is not a wear and tear fault?

Unread 04/07/2020, 01:03 PM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I cannot say 100%, but I don't believe so. We know on the very first units made an employee was told to do a step carefully by hand and thought he found a better faster way with tools and it stressed this frame. This pump has a 5 year warranty, they really when everything is done right should last a very long time.

Unread 04/07/2020, 02:49 PM   #9
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Just by curiosity I disassembled the other pump and cleaned it, took the attached photo. The pump does not start....

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B2EFBECD-9EC7-4D9C-9F57-53B913C3C01F.jpeg (64.2 KB, 7 views)

Unread 04/07/2020, 03:15 PM   #10
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Yes, this is the same problem, I am sure they will take care of it for you. When this frame is broken, the drive unit is not supported in the magnetic field and cannot possibly run.

Unread 04/08/2020, 08:24 AM   #11
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Then I like to tell that Tunze will send two new pumps to me.

This confirms and tell me that Tunze equipment still will be my no 1 choice for a lot of reef equipment.
When a product rarely fails they do support me as customer without discussions.

And to you Roger thank you very much for your excellent advice and for giving your input to Tunze Germany

Last edited by NorwayEagle; 04/08/2020 at 08:31 AM.
Unread 04/08/2020, 08:46 AM   #12
rvitko
RC Sponsor

No problem at all, when we know something is our fault and it is in the warranty period, it is clear and we will take care of it.