Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2014, 08:39 PM   #1
WSA_ReefZone
Registered Member

HD Video of My 125 Gallon Mixed Reef

New to the forums but not the hobby, take a look at my tank and let me know what you think. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q8IltM-7EA

WSA_ReefZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 09:16 AM   #2
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Tank looks nice.

Since you posted on the photography forum are you open to comments about the videography?

Unread 09/19/2014, 09:49 AM   #3
WSA_ReefZone
Registered Member

Yes please, This is my first video ever...literally. I am totally open to any criticism/help that could make my next video better. I do know my animations between frames was a bit childish but I was basically testing all my options. It was recorded with a Samsung Note3 in 4k. I was just holding the phone with my hand so it is a bit shaky. The reason half my audio is much worse is that it is voiceover through a standard laptop microphone. Thanks for the response, look forward to hearing from you.

Unread 09/19/2014, 11:20 AM   #4
NTP66
Registered Member

I agree, the tank looks nice. Outside of the bubble sounds in the opening frames, you sounded a little sad in the video. It was actually a little funny to me (no offense).

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 11:36 AM   #5
WSA_ReefZone
Registered Member

None taken, I'll admit I was not even originally going to put voice on the video because I hate public speaking. Although technically no one was there listening it still felt that way and I think that is what made me sound sad/mono tone. I really didn't like the way I sounded in the video either but I didn't want to voice over the whole video based on my computer mic sounding so bad. And I didn't want to wait till the next day to rerecord the video because my lights had went out. Next video I will be sure to be a little more chipper. Thanks for you thoughts!

Unread 09/19/2014, 11:38 AM   #6
NTP66
Registered Member

I'm not a big fan of speaking, either, so I usually just throw in background music and call it a day. That may or may not be the lazy way out, though.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 12:49 PM   #7
WSA_ReefZone
Registered Member

I planned on having speaking in the video to kind of explain things a little in detail and name off some corals. Then when it came down to it I just mumbled some random crap about what was on screen. This definitely could have been just as good if not a better video with music instead of voice.

Unread 09/19/2014, 06:27 PM   #8
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSA_ReefZone View Post
Yes please, This is my first video ever...literally. I am totally open to any criticism/help that could make my next video better.
Since this is your first, I'll be gentle.

Unless you are shooting an alien spacecraft landing, use a tripod! I read you are using a phone. That makes tripod tough but perhaps someone makes a mount for your phone. Failing that, turn yourself into a human tripod. Sit down and rest your elbows on something. It's like shooting a rifle.

Avoid pans, tilts and dolly shots. Zooms are bad too. Why? Because they don't compress well when put on daTube. This shows up as blotchy areas of color instead of being able to see the subject.

When it comes to transitions between shots use the simple cut. Pro movies are almost always just a cut. Cross dissolves and various barn door effects also compress poorly.

In general, shooting perpendicular to the tank glass is best. Any off angle causes distortion.

Keep shooting. You have a great subject to practice on!

Unread 09/21/2014, 12:56 AM   #9
WSA_ReefZone
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice, I actually purchased a tripod today and customized my phone case to mount to it. I think I will be buying a new one though, the one I purchased does not turn smoothly at all. Again thanks for all the advice.