Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2015, 03:19 PM   #2526
jerseypete
Registered Member

This is kind of like the fat people blaming McDonalds

jerseypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 03:24 PM   #2527
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseypete View Post
This is kind of like the fat people blaming McDonalds
PM me your paypal so I can buy you a big mac and diet coke.

GatorAlum05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 03:30 PM   #2528
biecacka
Registered Member

Good way for you two to get an informative thread locked.
Who cares? You don't agree with he pumps Jeff recommends and I respect that, the beauty of those skimmers is it's easy to swap out pumps. Problem solved and as you stated you are happy with the performance of the skimmer
And then the other guy says your house temp is too warm, and their might be truth to that too. However you live there, not us. You pay those bills, not us. You can continue to bash this and get it closed or we can drop it.

These obstacles you mention have relatively easy fixes. Cool the house, or swap the pumps. No need to bicker back and forth

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 03:42 PM   #2529
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorAlum05 View Post
you guys experience any crazy temperature increase using the blueline?

i set up with the new sump and jeff sent me the 2xblueline for return and for skimmer but temperature will not get below 80 degrees. I have 3 fans and office temperature stays at 79 degrees. Don't believe anything else is keeping the heat up. radions and vortechs. really starting to believe the pumps jeff recommend are crap. same thing he did when he recommended me the mag 9.5. better ac pumps out there.
Quote:
alright pictures didn't load up properly. disagree completely. without fans and room temperature at 79, I see swings up to 83-84. adding fans, I got down to 80.6-81.

dropping my office temperature down to 77, I see it maintaining 79-80.
Quote:
I run radions on a 55g display. Pumps are vortechs. Highly doubt those two are heating up my tank. I have two tanks with two lifereef system for comparison(both run with radions and vortechs) so I'm not talking out of my butt. The SVS30 with sp4 and sicce 5.0 return is flawless in temperature even though I set my house temperature at 78 degrees day and night. This office system with both recommend pumps by jeff is crap at best.

FYI only at night when I keep it at 79 via AC and NO HEAT, when temperature outside already drops down to low 70s/ high 60s, thus it's actually COOLER than 79 degrees. Figure this is common sense for people since it is November already and not blistering 90s outside during summer time. And if you look at chart, rarely does it dip below 80 even when the AC is blasting during the day time.

obviously when I'm in the office, my AC is set at 75 degrees during the day time..... it's november. you can see the date on apex. I highly recommend lifereef products and have the entire setup, but jeff's recommendations of pumps is dumb. It happened with the mag9.5 with heat and performance but i let it pass figuring an external pump wouldn't heaten things up. wrong of course. definitely don't agree with his pumps recommendation whatsoever.

Quote:
did you read what I wrote earlier? I said i keep the thermostat minimum of 79 AT NIGHT for COOLING ONLY...... With temperature at night into the high 60s and low 70s, the actual temperature is even lower than the minimum 79. HEAT DOES NOT TURN ON IN MY OFFICE AT ALL. PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND. ONLY MY AC kicks in if temperature reach higher than 79 which it hasn't in over a month. Day time thermostat is 74-75 AC.

Jeff already knew the volume I was working with and still recommended those pumps. So is it my fault or his? Thanks.
Yes I've been reading what you've wrote. The first two quotes contradict the last two (bolded and enlarged for you).

Have a nice day.

Unread 11/19/2015, 03:44 PM   #2530
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

if you read my later posts, I said I meant to add MINIMUM in there.....

Unread 11/19/2015, 03:45 PM   #2531
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
obviously i miss the word minimum of 79 degrees....
This was stated.

Unread 11/19/2015, 03:50 PM   #2532
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Good way for you two to get an informative thread locked.
Who cares? You don't agree with he pumps Jeff recommends and I respect that, the beauty of those skimmers is it's easy to swap out pumps. Problem solved and as you stated you are happy with the performance of the skimmer
And then the other guy says your house temp is too warm, and their might be truth to that too. However you live there, not us. You pay those bills, not us. You can continue to bash this and get it closed or we can drop it.

These obstacles you mention have relatively easy fixes. Cool the house, or swap the pumps. No need to bicker back and forth

Corey
corey, I'm just responding to my findings. Not even bashing.

Unread 11/19/2015, 05:17 PM   #2533
TonyB13
Registered Member

I have not read the whole post and I am green as can be but could your equipment be reading the temperature wrong, have you tried plain old 1.99 thermometer, I know i bought two regular thermometers and one was off by several degrees.

TonyB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 06:52 PM   #2534
Harry_Y
Registered Member

I would tend to believe the room is too warm, and you need more airflow.

75 is quite warm for a room with a tank in it. I typically keep my
house at about 65-68 and I try to keep the humidity at about 40%

BTW: I run my tank at 82 and have even considered going a little warmer

180 Gallon Reef with Basement Sump,
Apex Controller, Hamilton Cebu Sun Light,
Lifereef Skimmer and Calcium Reactor.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 09:21 AM   #2535
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchoi View Post
Just joined...the Lifereef package came this week; sump, skimmer, refugium and calcium reactor. Just getting around to assembling the parts. The quality is impressive! I am in the process of version 2.0 for my 85 gallon mixed reef, moving away from Zeovit to more basic / natural filtration. The plan is to improve skimming, add a refugium and a frag tank.

Lifereef sump, skimmer, filter cylinders, float switch and pump.

Upgraded to the removable skimmer top and large collection cup.

Venturi has a green plug for cleaning.

Very nice setup! I am considering something similar. How do you like it? Are you happy with the external pump? For some reason I like the idea of the external circulation pump. I feel like the extra filter area you get with the external pump is a good add. Would you go this way again? My sump is a bit limited but I think I could make it work. Do you think this is better than an internal pump?

Thanks!

Unread 11/23/2015, 09:37 AM   #2536
rmchoi
Registered Member

Thanks — By design, the sump is too small to house the pump. If a bigger pump is needed later, I did not want to be restricted by the sump size. I also want to keep the pump heat to a minimal, now moving from LED to metal halide lights. You can see with limited stand space, the extra area at the pump is nice for other equipment, like UV and doser.

The Lifereef system is not wet yet, but soon! I am still working on winding down Zeovit, moving to metal halide, and adding a frag tank & refugium in an adjacent room. I will post a rebuild shortly.

Last edited by Dino; 04/06/2018 at 05:23 AM.
rmchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 09:46 AM   #2537
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks — By design, the sump is too small to house the pump. If a bigger pump is needed later, I did not want to be restricted by the sump size. I also want to keep the pump heat to a minimal, now moving from LED to metal halide lights. You can see with limited stand space, the extra area at the pump is nice for other equipment, like UV and doser.

The Lifereef system is not wet yet, but soon! I am still working on winding down Zeovit, moving to metal halide, and adding a frag tank & refugium in an adjacent room. I will post a rebuild shortly.
Why are you winding down Zeovit? How do you like that reactor? (Nice setup BTW!)

Patrick Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 10:30 AM   #2538
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:

What all is behind the controllers? Just the excess cables? It looks super clean and something I might steal for my own setup so curious what you have behind those false walls...

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.

soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 10:45 AM   #2539
rmchoi
Registered Member

Zeovit is not really compatible with a refugium. it works well for managing nutrients, but there's just way too much ongoing work involved, between daily dosing, changing stones, and its expensive! I can not imagine not having the Avast auto reactor for Zeo and having to shake stones twice a day!!

That's why I'm going Lifereef; the LF skimmer is much more efficient than mine. I'm going back to, what I think, are proven and simpler methods.

Unread 11/23/2015, 12:18 PM   #2540
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Zeovit is not really compatible with a refugium. it works well for managing nutrients, but there's just way too much ongoing work involved, between daily dosing, changing stones, and its expensive! I can not imagine not having the Avast auto reactor for Zeo and having to shake stones twice a day!!

That's why I'm going Lifereef; the LF skimmer is much more efficient than mine. I'm going back to, what I think, are proven and simpler methods.
Ok, makes sense. I am ordering a new LR sump and skimmer as well. I am also considering Zeovit but I am not going to use a Refugium. I may send you a PM. Good luck!

Unread 11/24/2015, 06:54 AM   #2541
jerseypete
Registered Member

Quote:

So are you changing from zeovit because of cost? How did it work for you? It seems you have nice set up there. How much did it actually cost to run the system monthly? Did you see good results?

jerseypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 09:21 AM   #2542
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
What all is behind the controllers? Just the excess cables? It looks super clean and something I might steal for my own setup so curious what you have behind those false walls...
You hit the nail on the head! Excess cables, EB8's and transformers — the stuff know one wants to see. I had to go with extra height in the stand to make this work. Good luck.

Last edited by Dino; 04/06/2018 at 05:24 AM.
Unread 11/24/2015, 09:37 AM   #2543
soulpatch
Registered Member

I love the doors to still have access but also hide the clutter. Great and very simple idea

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 09:39 AM   #2544
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseypete View Post
So are you changing from zeovit because of cost? How did it work for you? It seems you have nice set up there. How much did it actually cost to run the system monthly? Did you see good results?
Zeovit works, but I found it too maintenance intensive for me. There are a lot of additives (which are expensive), but its the constant dosing regimen of the many additives and changing out zeostones each 6 weeks that I'm done with.

I am finding there are many effective methods out there and you need to find one that works best with schedule, motivation (and budget). I have seen some nice reefs by those using Lifereef skimmer and refugium. It seems simple and effective.

Unread 11/24/2015, 02:30 PM   #2545
kirkaz
Jade

I have a VS3 72 on a 465 gallon FOWLR as well as a 60 on a 450 gallon reef. The reef is MUCH more lightly stocked, they are both running on a MAG 18, the 60 on the reef is producing FAR FAR FAR more and better skim than the larger 72 on the more heavily stocked FOWLR.

I have tried downdraft to no avail on the 72. Any other suggestions? I have emailed Jeff and am anxious to hear back....Could the 72 need a more powerful pump??

Hobby experience-since 2001
kirkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 03:06 PM   #2546
bayoupr
Registered Member

I would say yes, a bigger pump for the 72 and I'm surprised the Mag 18 is working that good on the 60.. Are you running external or internal?

bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 06:15 PM   #2547
kirkaz
Jade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoupr View Post
I would say yes, a bigger pump for the 72 and I'm surprised the Mag 18 is working that good on the 60.. Are you running external or internal?
Internal....Mag 18 is well above what he says for a minimum.

Unread 11/24/2015, 06:56 PM   #2548
bayoupr
Registered Member

Quote:
Internal....Mag 18 is well above what he says for a minimum.
Might be above the min. but the head pressure with the Mag 18 is knocking the flow rate down. What injector are you running? I would get a 1078 for the 72" if running the Mag18 although I have found a good external pressure rated pump like the Panworld 100PX or equal works better with the 60 & 72 " Lifereef skimmers with the 1078 or 978 mazzei injectors. This is all based on my past experiences with these skimmers (30" thru 72") and my opinion only.

bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2015, 06:28 PM   #2549
kirkaz
Jade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoupr View Post
Might be above the min. but the head pressure with the Mag 18 is knocking the flow rate down. What injector are you running? I would get a 1078 for the 72" if running the Mag18 although I have found a good external pressure rated pump like the Panworld 100PX or equal works better with the 60 & 72 " Lifereef skimmers with the 1078 or 978 mazzei injectors. This is all based on my past experiences with these skimmers (30" thru 72") and my opinion only.
Hmmm, didn't frankly know there was a difference in the injectors....What comes on the Lifereef??

And am I missing something on the pump? The Pan you mention is only like 800 gph, correct?

Last edited by kirkaz; 11/28/2015 at 06:36 PM.
Unread 11/28/2015, 10:24 PM   #2550
iced98lx
Registered Member

Got my 24 running in the sump.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoChooser-b6a78ebd-8d91-4574-8a0a-1a3d8256bb70.jpg (48.9 KB, 378 views)
iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote