Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2010, 05:31 AM   #251
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterswimmer View Post
All the specifications are detailed. Nowhere in the writeup do I see any mention of saltwater application for this pump. Here in the states we are accustomed to seeing our ponds in freshwater, not saltwater. Are you sure this pump is going to be appropriate for your seawater system? I'm doubting it.

Beautiful build. I've been tagging along since day one and I'm mighty impressed. Thank you for sharing the build with us, not just the 'pretty, shiny, end result'.

FYI, you might want to consider the Reeflo Pumps, specifically the Manta Ray Gold. 1-1/2" in/out, it is pressure and flow rated. Commercial Duty pumps come in 1HP, 1.5HP and 2HP.

Good luck,
Russ
Yeah different sites have different "specifications". Here is the site where it specifically says saltwater: http://www.graystonecreations.com/po...ve_pumps.shtml

i looked at Reeflo Pumps and I'm impressed. However, those are external use only and I'm looking for something that I can fit inside the aquarium for water flow. I have 2 pumps that pump into the tank for turnover, those are rated at 40,000 gph or 45,000 gph.. don't remember exactly.

Thank you for showing interest. I made sure I posted everything regarding the build because it is an unusual build (somewhat) .

nahham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2010, 06:00 AM   #252
Kenneth M Olsen
Registered Member

amazing.. will follow this project for sure.
All the best from Denmark

Kenneth M Olsen

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max 250
Kenneth M Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2010, 06:05 AM   #253
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth M Olsen View Post
amazing.. will follow this project for sure.
All the best from Denmark
Thanks. By the way, very nice tank you have there

Unread 02/28/2010, 01:34 PM   #254
ben1
Moved On

holy crap this is awesome !!

ben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2010, 03:33 AM   #255
nahham
Registered Member

What can go wrong will go wrong

Some updates:

We got the concrete and the shuttering (the boards that hold the concrete in place until it dries) broke at one end and we lost have of the concrete.

It was fixed and we got a new batch of concrete and poured it. However, this will delay the project a couple of days.

It looks like I'm going to paint the refugium with epoxy as well just to make sure it doesn't leak. I'm a bit worried about having poured the concrete twice.

Unread 03/01/2010, 04:37 AM   #256
what'scoral
BioMedical Engineer

Salam Alakum Nahham. I take my hat off to you with this sweet tank build. I'll be following this tank build goodluck.

Inshallah Khair

Sanad Affara

Current Tank Info: BubbleKing 200 Deluxe // 72" Consetllation // Bubble Magus Triple Doser // And I'm Balling!!! actually balling light
what'scoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2010, 09:06 AM   #257
nahham
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'scoral View Post
Salam Alakum Nahham. I take my hat off to you with this sweet tank build. I'll be following this tank build goodluck.

Inshallah Khair

Sanad Affara
Wa'alikoum Elsalam. I'm glad you like it. InshaAllah it will be done soon.

Unread 03/01/2010, 01:26 PM   #258
ShellsSD
Registered Member

subscribing to this thread. WOW and thank you for sharing your build with us.

5g FWP (office tank)
ShellsSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 06:46 AM   #259
nahham
Registered Member

Refugium's Progress

Hello,

Just thought I'd post how the refugium looks right now. We are done with the walls and working on the "partitions" inside.

I didn't think it will look this big. The final dimensions of the refugium is 5m (16.4ft) x 3m (9.8ft) x 1.4m (4.6ft).

I might be able to use part of it to grow food for the tank, hopefully..

Unread 03/04/2010, 07:28 AM   #260
imarkspeed
Registered Member

sweet cheese!!

imarkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 08:26 AM   #261
gman107
Registered Member

keep posting pictures, you can never post too many !!!! this looks great

gman107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 12:38 PM   #262
tntneon
SPSahollic

-Hi nahhan ,

- realy awesome what you are making !!!
Gives an whole new dimension to the words "bubbletrap" or "baffel" ,
we just glue a piece of plastic sheet or glass in ower sump , you have to pore a day concrete to have 1 or 2 "overflow walls" .

greetingzz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15°K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
tntneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 03:23 PM   #263
daleKW
Registered Member

Wouldn't rain effect the salinity???

daleKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 03:36 PM   #264
username in use
Sciencing Daily

he said earlier in the thread that they only get Aprox. 2" a year.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 04:18 PM   #265
lowlt
Registered Member

I can't wait to see this with water and the flow through the sump

lowlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 04:20 PM   #266
daleKW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by username in use View Post
he said earlier in the thread that they only get Aprox. 2" a year.
I missed that.. Thanks..

Awesome build. That guy hauling the wheel barrel of concrete in that pic is gonna need a protien shake..lol

daleKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 04:32 PM   #267
mborkush
Registered Member

RE:HY drive 6000 pump

I use the pondmaster 4000 for my reef. They are your typical magnetic drive, epoxy sealed pump. They are OK'd for salt water per conversation with distributer. (I can only speak to what I've been told) They are a nice, quiet pump. Only down fall is low head pressure. These pmps do not pack much punch in the power area. If your pumping low head hight its well worth the money. It is probly the cheepest $$ 6000GPH pump out there.

Current Tank Info: 220 Reef with Remote sump filtration,
mborkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 10:11 PM   #268
ReefJerk
Registered Member

If it were me (oh how I wish it were...) I would place these in every hidden crevice of the tank. They are only 8 inches high and ~16 inches long and push ~10000 gph.

Best price I found was at http://www.azponds.com/New_webpages/...s_Classic.html

Current Tank Info: 180 mixed, 3x250 HQI, Reeflo Orca 200, CLM: 12 outlets, 10kgph
ReefJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 03:25 AM   #269
nahham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlt View Post
I can't wait to see this with water and the flow through the sump
Neither can I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborkush View Post
I use the pondmaster 4000 for my reef. They are your typical magnetic drive, epoxy sealed pump. They are OK'd for salt water per conversation with distributer. (I can only speak to what I've been told) They are a nice, quiet pump. Only down fall is low head pressure. These pmps do not pack much punch in the power area. If your pumping low head hight its well worth the money. It is probly the cheepest $$ 6000GPH pump out there.
This is good to hear. I am not worried about the low head issue because I'm planning to use them submersed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefJerk View Post
If it were me (oh how I wish it were...) I would place these in every hidden crevice of the tank. They are only 8 inches high and ~16 inches long and push ~10000 gph.

Best price I found was at http://www.azponds.com/New_webpages/...s_Classic.html
Those are a very good alternative. I couldn't find any mention of saltwater application so I emailed the manufacturer. I'll post their answer here.

Unread 03/05/2010, 04:04 AM   #270
nahham
Registered Member

How much Live Rock?

I've been reading about how much live rock I would need for the tank and it seems 1.5 lbs per gallon is the most common number I came by. Is this right? I will need 30,000 lbs of live rock???

If this is right, and with the price I got for live rock ($6.75/kg) then I will need to pay around $92,000 for rock

Getting the rock from the sea is sounding better and better

Unread 03/05/2010, 07:39 AM   #271
username in use
Sciencing Daily

The aquarium by me has a 20,000g reef and they didnt use the standard live rock numbers. They started with dry limestone base rock from a quarry in the middle of the country and then added around 10,000lbs of live rock from the ocean which they cured off site for a few months first, but you could do it in tank. I think when you get to this size and these kind of numbers you dont need to follow all the general guidelines for small tanks. Also, with your ability to change large amounts of water on a regular basis you shouldnt need to have as much live rock as what is generally reccomended.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 12:45 PM   #272
KarlBob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahham View Post
I've been reading about how much live rock I would need for the tank and it seems 1.5 lbs per gallon is the most common number I came by. Is this right? I will need 30,000 lbs of live rock???

If this is right, and with the price I got for live rock ($6.75/kg) then I will need to pay around $92,000 for rock

Getting the rock from the sea is sounding better and better
1-1.5 lbs per gallon is a rule of thumb for relatively small tanks, on the order of tens or hundreds of gallons, not tens of thousands of gallons. Many rules of thumb don't scale up or down well, and I suspect this is one of them.

Because you have the ability to innoculate the tank with raw or coarsely-filtered seawater, you could pick up the bacterial components of your nitrogen cycle very quickly. As Username In Use pointed out, you could add plenty of "dead" rock, with the best source being ancient coral deposits. A few hundred pounds of live rock should be plenty, as long as you're willing to wait while the dead (a.k.a. "base") rock is "revived" by organisms spreading out from the live rock.

If you can get it, a barge-load of live rock direct from the ocean might be great, but:
A) I think the cost would be outrageous (less so than ordering it from a retailer, but still ridiculous);
B) Your order alone might result in the dynamiting of a significant reef outcrop, if your supplier is less than perfectly ethical/"green"; and
C) Your chance of acquiring undesirable hitchhikers would probably approach 100%.
(Hmmm. Item B might make a good thread all by itself in the Responsible Reefkeeping forum.)

Current Tank Info: No tanks for now. Starting over in Austin sometime next year.
KarlBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 03:46 PM   #273
poposherry
Registered Member

cant wait to see it

poposherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 03:52 PM   #274
KarlBob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlBob View Post
If you can get it, a barge-load of live rock direct from the ocean might be great, but:
A) ...
B) Your order alone might result in the dynamiting of a significant reef outcrop, if your supplier is less than perfectly ethical/"green"; and
C) ...
(Hmmm. Item B might make a good thread all by itself in the Responsible Reefkeeping forum.)
After consulting Nahham (who expressed interest in the result), I've started a thread on this topic in the Responsible Reefkeeping forum.

Current Tank Info: No tanks for now. Starting over in Austin sometime next year.
KarlBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 04:51 PM   #275
Jay180reef
Registered Member

Wow, I'll be following this build!!!

Current Tank Info: 180G reef, 2x45G sumps, 45G fuge, MH lights w/T5s, ReefOcto skmr, Barracuda pump, Magnum powerheads
Jay180reef is offline   Reply With Quote