Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/07/2010, 05:22 PM   #1
WWCC
Moved On

Post Rare Seahorses Galore!

Personally I would love to have these, but I don't know if that is allowed. Is it possible for some dealer to work out some paperwork w/ CITES to get them imported? I mean you can get Chaetodon daedalmas from Izu Japan where Hippocampus sindonis live. They are listed as Data Deficient as are most Sygnathids. I do know however, that the trade of wild seahorses has been banned and the trade of wild specimens is strictly controlled. Lets hope we can get out hands on these in the near future huh?
- Painted Seahorse, Hippocampus sindonis http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/10083/0

Big-bellied Seahorse, Hippocampus abdominalis

Short-pouch pygmy pipehorse, Acentronura breviperula (Yes i said pipehorse. The are he evolutionary link between pipefish and seahorses.)

Thorny seahorse, Hippocampus hystrix

Cornetfish
Family Fistulariidae
Genus Fistularia
Bluespotted cornetfish, Fistularia commersonii Rüppell, 1838
Pacific cornetfish, Fistularia corneta Gilbert & Starks, 1904
Red cornetfish, Fistularia petimba Lacepède, 1803
Cornet fish, Fistularia tabacaria Linnaeus, 1758

False Pipefish
Solenostomus armatus (Weber, 1913) (Long-tailed Ghostpipefish)
Solenostomus cyanopterus (Bleeker, 1854) (Robust Ghostpipefish, Blue-finned Ghostpipefish, Green Ghostpipefish)
Solenostomus halimeda (Orr, Fritzsche and Randall, 2002)
Solenostomus leptosoma (Tanaka, 1908) (Delicate Ghostpipefish)
Solenostomus paradoxus (Pallas, 1770) (Ornate Ghostpipefish, Shortbodied Pipefish)

Yes again im bringing up the pygmies because i want them so badly!!!
Hippocampus bargibanti and Hippocampus denise

And yes the most recently described Hippocampus sp. (pontohi)

Check the Pontohis out here http://www.robertosozzani.it/Pontohi/contpontohiEn.html

-Happy Reefing!

Unread 02/07/2010, 05:44 PM   #2
mattkd5
Registered Member

those seahorses are cool

Unread 02/07/2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Bluetangclan
Registered Member

Ghost Pipes are next to impossible to keep in aquariums and thus extremely rarely make it to the trade.

Pygmy seahorses have keeping issues as well as food must be very small and I read something the other day about them needing what the are camo'd as or else they get stressed out or something like that. I think you have a better chance of getting hold of these than ghost pipes.

I know little to nothing about those horses except they are probably temperate species. I have books on them just dont have them memorized. This is idle musing but perhaps if you looked up Japanese online fish stores(surely they have them like we do) and hope one speaks English and then figure out the shipping thing. Definately would be costly but with the 10k you were going to be putting down on dragons Japanese seahorses should be chumpchange.

What I would love to get hold of are a couple pairs of zebra sea horses.

Unread 02/07/2010, 07:06 PM   #4
WWCC
Moved On

I don't believe blue harbor or b-box offer seahorses let alone painted seahorses. The only temperate seahorses in this list are the pot bellied and possibly the pipehorse. The Japanese stores are a good idea though I don't know of any other than B-box Aquaria and Blue Harbor

Unread 02/08/2010, 09:27 AM   #5
timinnl
Registered Member

Do you want to own them for breeding purposes or for bragging rights? The ghost pipes were available here last summer. All were dead within 8 weeks. There were some last week in the UK. Those die in the dealers tank. So in order for you to get your hands on one, a lot more will die before ever reaching your local wholesaler/reseller.

Best to leave them alone.

Kind Regards,

Tim

Unread 02/08/2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Brettsreef
Registered Member

Gorgeous creatures. I have always wanted a seahorse but agree with the above poster...not worth all the deaths.

Thanks for posting

Unread 02/08/2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Dante_JoseCuerv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinnl View Post
Do you want to own them for breeding purposes or for bragging rights? The ghost pipes were available here last summer. All were dead within 8 weeks. There were some last week in the UK. Those die in the dealers tank. So in order for you to get your hands on one, a lot more will die before ever reaching your local wholesaler/reseller.

Best to leave them alone.

Kind Regards,

Tim
+1

Until we can keep them with relatively low mortality I say it's best to leave these creatures in nature, or at the very worst in the hands of researchers and marine zoologists.

Unread 02/08/2010, 10:50 AM   #8
timinnl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettsreef View Post
Gorgeous creatures. I have always wanted a seahorse but agree with the above poster...not worth all the deaths.

Thanks for posting
Don't get me wrong, they are a pipe dream of mine also. But it is just that, a pipe dream.

Right now I have 8 H. reidi, 1 H. comes & 60 + H. zosterae. I did my research before I bought them. Everything I thought I knew about them were slightly outdated. But I took advice from people here & on sh.org. now I feel it is ok for me to give advise or feedback based on the 2.5 years that I have been keeping them.

I really want the H. abdominalis: pot belly seahorse. But I know that I can not take care of them correctly. I do not want a large tank or a chiller. So I will not own one until I can meet their need & not shoe horn them to meet my needs.

So Brettsreef, do some research & take the plunge. They are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE I really enjoy taking care of them & look forward to coming home to them.

Kind Regards,

Tim

Unread 02/09/2010, 06:21 AM   #9
timinnl
Registered Member

I bought this DVD last year. Pygmy Seahorses, Pipfishes and Ghostpipefishes from redsea-images dot com. They flim them in the wild. On the vid with the ghostpipefish, it shows them close to the bottom drifting with the current.

I think you can ask any of the vendors on here to order it for you.

Lastly please do not post the pics on here. They are copy righted.

Tim

Closed Thread

Tags
pipefish, pygmy seahorses, rare seahorses, seahorses