Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2011, 02:50 PM   #51
teamschreiba
Registered Member

New May FTS

teamschreiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2011, 06:20 PM   #52
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

Cool Tank

I was thinking of an ADA 60-P with a PhosBan reactor holding HydroCarbon2 and PhosBan, plus a skimmer. This tank with canister looks like a good option to use instead. Now if I can figure out how to place a glass canopy on top but still have the pipes / hoses get in / out, I'm ready to purchase. Maybe I can just lift the cover with rubber feet or something. Concerned some fish may jump (goby, blenny, maybe a small flasher wrasse).

IndianaDunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2011, 06:30 PM   #53
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Yeah the glass cover would be tough with the pipes especially since I heard those fish can jump through pretty small holes. But the rubber feet may be a good idea, I just take the chance with the open top though, I've had it for a year and my clown hasn't jumped.

Unread 05/22/2011, 06:41 PM   #54
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

Got It

The small opening could be an issue. It'll be cool when ADA adds more pics on their site, I sent them email requesting canopy pictures, to see how it all fits together. Best scenario will probably be to drill / cut a couple canopy openings for the pipes if possible. 60-F is out of stock now, 45-F is in, and 60-P still looks good. I'm jonesin' for a tank.

Unread 05/22/2011, 06:45 PM   #55
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

Oops...

Meant to ask, that Eheim looks like an upflow filter, is that true? Also, on filter floss, are you just using blue floss or something like Poly Bio Marine pads?

Unread 05/22/2011, 07:40 PM   #56
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaDunes View Post
The small opening could be an issue. It'll be cool when ADA adds more pics on their site, I sent them email requesting canopy pictures, to see how it all fits together. Best scenario will probably be to drill / cut a couple canopy openings for the pipes if possible. 60-F is out of stock now, 45-F is in, and 60-P still looks good. I'm jonesin' for a tank.
Yeah that would definitely work. And yeah I think one ADA company in the US got a shipment in recently but I don't know what they have in stock.

Unread 05/22/2011, 07:47 PM   #57
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
Meant to ask, that Eheim looks like an upflow filter, is that true? Also, on filter floss, are you just using blue floss or something like Poly Bio Marine pads?
Yeah it's an upflow filter. And I'm just using the simple pillow stuffing as filter floss now which works pretty well and is cheap.

Unread 05/22/2011, 08:02 PM   #58
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

New Tanks In

ADA new shipment? That's cool. So, looks like you hit filter floss, then carbon, last purigen, then up to the tank. Or maybe one more stage of fine filter? Pretty cool, simple - some setups are complex - meaning, I wouldn't be able to do it, but I think I can do a canister. I'm feeling a thread dedicated to Eheim canister maintenance schedule and contents.

Unread 05/22/2011, 08:19 PM   #59
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
ADA new shipment? That's cool. So, looks like you hit filter floss, then carbon, last purigen, then up to the tank. Or maybe one more stage of fine filter? Pretty cool, simple - some setups are complex - meaning, I wouldn't be able to do it, but I think I can do a canister. I'm feeling a thread dedicated to Eheim canister maintenance schedule and contents.
Yeah that progression is about right. I have another layer of floss before it goes back to the tank but that's it. The canister is really easy though I clean it out completely when I do my weekly water changes and then clean out the pump in it every few months. There's really not much else to it

Unread 05/22/2011, 08:35 PM   #60
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

One Pump

I like the one pump to receive from and send to tank. I'll need to get savvy on pump maintenance. Purigen read like a rinse / clean then continue using scenario. Chemipure is supposed to have good longevity too, so you probably just rinse those off weekly, continue using, rinse floss, done. Good inline heater, now an inline skimmer could be cool too if it's possible to do that. Canister use keeps the electronics out of the tank which is nice. My orig thought had 2 pumps inside the main tank for skimmer and PhosBan reactor.

Unread 05/23/2011, 09:04 AM   #61
JLopez
iNano

I voted for you in NTOTM

JLopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2011, 02:09 PM   #62
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
I like the one pump to receive from and send to tank. I'll need to get savvy on pump maintenance. Purigen read like a rinse / clean then continue using scenario. Chemipure is supposed to have good longevity too, so you probably just rinse those off weekly, continue using, rinse floss, done. Good inline heater, now an inline skimmer could be cool too if it's possible to do that. Canister use keeps the electronics out of the tank which is nice. My orig thought had 2 pumps inside the main tank for skimmer and PhosBan reactor.
Yeah the canister is definitely convenient. If you can pull it off I would go with a sump just because then you could have a skimmer but other than that the canister works well

Unread 05/24/2011, 02:11 PM   #63
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLopez View Post
I voted for you in NTOTM
Thanks I really appreciate it!!

Unread 05/24/2011, 02:43 PM   #64
Aaarrrggg
Registered Member

Stunning as always! I'm afraid I didn't vote for you for NTOTM, but that's only because I can see it looking even better in the future and I didn't want to take away your chance to win later on instead.

Current Tank Info: 144g Half Circle Oceanic (started 11/7/2011)
Aaarrrggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2011, 05:39 PM   #65
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaarrrggg View Post
Stunning as always! I'm afraid I didn't vote for you for NTOTM, but that's only because I can see it looking even better in the future and I didn't want to take away your chance to win later on instead.
Thanks! And I completely understand I'm hoping it continues to look better too.

Unread 05/25/2011, 08:54 AM   #66
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

Canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamschreiba View Post
Yeah the canister is definitely convenient. If you can pull it off I would go with a sump just because then you could have a skimmer but other than that the canister works well
Canister seems real simple, one pump done. I may start like that, gotta have a lid like this in 12x24 for the ADA 60-P: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=3790

I sent a similar canopy question link to ADA - I think it should work. Notice the opening front for feeding, back plastic to cut allowing piping. Cover keeps the jumpers in, though if I do a Blue Devil I may be okay with minimal jumps.

Unread 05/25/2011, 09:19 AM   #67
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

Ps

Meant to ask, 8 stainless steel hooks come with ADA tanks - what do those look like? They hang on top, then inside lip of tank to hold a canopy in place?

Unread 05/25/2011, 04:57 PM   #68
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

Link to 12x24, Cool ADA Lid Option?

Looks good: http://aquariumguys.com/marineland-p...24in-12in.html

Unread 05/25/2011, 05:18 PM   #69
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
Canister seems real simple, one pump done. I may start like that, gotta have a lid like this in 12x24 for the ADA 60-P: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=3790

I sent a similar canopy question link to ADA - I think it should work. Notice the opening front for feeding, back plastic to cut allowing piping. Cover keeps the jumpers in, though if I do a Blue Devil I may be okay with minimal jumps.
Yeah something like that would work it just may not look quite as clean, if there was an "ADA" lid it would probably be the best although expensive

Unread 05/25/2011, 05:20 PM   #70
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
Meant to ask, 8 stainless steel hooks come with ADA tanks - what do those look like? They hang on top, then inside lip of tank to hold a canopy in place?
I never got any hooks with my tank sorry I can't help you there...

Unread 05/25/2011, 05:21 PM   #71
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
That doesn't look bad either just hard to tell without seeing it in person

Unread 05/25/2011, 06:18 PM   #72
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

Lid etc

I'll have to attempt the lid, get a cheap one and hope it works. I'm checking out those Eheim canisters, inline heater, and hose width and thickness. Wondering about ADA glass vs. stainless steel inflow and outflow. Both look cool.

Unread 05/25/2011, 06:37 PM   #73
reefngeek
Registered Member

great looking tank!how many gallons is it?

reefngeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2011, 06:57 PM   #74
teamschreiba
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll have to attempt the lid, get a cheap one and hope it works. I'm checking out those Eheim canisters, inline heater, and hose width and thickness. Wondering about ADA glass vs. stainless steel inflow and outflow. Both look cool.
I think the glass looks a lot better but I guess the stainless could look good if you had some other stainless accents maybe in the lighting fixture or stand. They'd be a lot more durable/sturdy than the glass ones though.

Unread 05/26/2011, 08:05 AM   #75
IndianaDunes
Registered Member

Inlets, Outlets, and Hoses

Stainless steel inlets / outlets look strong. Problem I'm seeing is Ecco has 12 and 14 mm hoses and ADA has 10, 13, and 17 mm hoses?

Last edited by IndianaDunes; 05/26/2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Additions

Tags
60-f, ada