Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2011, 01:56 PM   #251
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilk View Post
Hi Randy. I guess the essence of what your saying is that we should wet skim over dryer skimming? So if we were able to wet skim 100% of the time, we'd accomplish a better environment? I always believed that longer contact time was necessary to achieve adhesion.

I have only seen a few up close, but even marine aquariums with limitless water sources, seem to be dry skimming. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I think wet skimming just removes more of the good stuff vs that of dry skimming.
Bilk- you realize this thread is in regards to using wet skimming to perform water changes, right?

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2011, 02:22 PM   #252
SaltwaterAdict
Moved On

Seems like a lot of work to do and not sure if you'd really benefit from it. When I do my WCs I like to make them quick and easy. Skimming wet and having to adjust the skimmer and worry about it overflowing and who knows how long it would take to remove 10-20-30 or even 40g would definitely be a stretch! When skimmate collects it takes a long time to accomplish and dialing in the skimmer to skim wet for a short period of time I don't think would do a whole lot. imo

SaltwaterAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2011, 03:43 PM   #253
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

IME (much!) wet skimming actually SIMPLIFIES removing water from an aquarium for a water change.

I crank the waste gate on my skimmer closed 1/4 turn and (voila!) 4 hours later 50 gallons of wet skimmate water has been removed from my system.
Pump in 50 gallons of new water. Done.

Very simple.

Unread 05/05/2011, 03:52 PM   #254
SaltwaterAdict
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
IME (much!) wet skimming actually SIMPLIFIES removing water from an aquarium for a water change.

I crank the waste gate on my skimmer closed 1/4 turn and (voila!) 4 hours later 50 gallons of wet skimmate water has been removed from my system.

Very simple.
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. Didn't think it was that simple.

One thing, what happens if you forget about the skimmate collection water?

Unread 05/05/2011, 03:54 PM   #255
SaltwaterAdict
Moved On

Quote:

Very simple.
How often do you do a WC like this?

Unread 05/05/2011, 03:55 PM   #256
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

my skimmer cup has a drain.

the drain line leads to a waste sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterAdict View Post
How often do you do a WC like this?
once every week

fwiw I feed very heavy

Unread 05/05/2011, 04:21 PM   #257
Bilk
Registered Member

Quote:
Bilk- you realize this thread is in regards to using wet skimming to perform water changes, right?

Yes I understand that. However it would follow that if this method is better for removing waste than dry skimming, why wouldn't this practice be done in places such as coral farms and public aquariums, many of which have limitless water supplies? Many of these places get their water directly from a natural source - generally filtered with a diatom filter bed. This is why I used it as a reference in my prior post.

My assertion is a skimmer will remove the same amount of organics over 5 hours of dry skimming as wet, but certainly that is difficult to quantify. I do however like the idea of using this method for a shorter duration to clean the skimmer and lines, without necessarily 1. dismantling it and 2. removing the aqueous lining already formed on the skimmer chamber and riser tube. Skimmate should begin to form much more quickly doing this. The only problem then is dialing the skimmer back in where as I don't have to do that after a cleaning the way I presently do it now.

Heck I guess I'll give it a try. It certainly can't hurt

Bilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2011, 06:51 PM   #258
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilk View Post
However it would follow that if this method is better for removing waste than dry skimming
I still don't think you understand. I dry skim 24/7. I only wet skim for water changes. This entire thread is in regards to wet skim water changes.

Unread 05/05/2011, 11:08 PM   #259
Bilk
Registered Member

Quote:
I still don't think you understand. I dry skim 24/7. I only wet skim for water changes. This entire thread is in regards to wet skim water changes.

LOL yes I fully understand that you think it is worthwhile doing this only for water changes, but I used those examples as an argument for it not being worthwhile because 1. your skimmer will pull as much waste in those 4 or 5 hours dry skimming and 2. if wet skimming were indeed better, places with readily available water would always wet skim instead of dry skim. I know what you meant, but I don't think you know what I meant Not looking to argue or belabor the point. I just don't see the value other than possibly getting the skimmer cleaned and not removing the film that helps skim, which happens if you remove the skimmer and clean it in fresh water.

Bilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2011, 05:04 AM   #260
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Yes I understand that. However it would follow that if this method is better for removing waste than dry skimming, why wouldn't this practice be done in places such as coral farms and public aquariums, many of which have limitless water supplies? Many of these places get their water directly from a natural source - generally filtered with a diatom filter bed. This is why I used it as a reference in my prior post.

If you truly have limitless and costless water, there's no need to do anything but continuous high water changes. No need for skimming at all. The fact is, water costs, due to the need to heat it up, filter it, etc.

In any case, it isn't worth a big debate since there is no data to prove it either way. If you don't think it a good idea, don't use the method.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2011, 05:04 AM   #261
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

duplicate post

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2011, 07:50 AM   #262
nanojg
Registered Member

Quote:
my skimmer cup has a drain.

the drain line leads to a waste sink.

once every week

fwiw I feed very heavy
I LOVE YOUR TANK and its inhabitants

nanojg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2011, 02:22 PM   #263
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

thanks!

it's much better looking in person

nothing in this aquarium is "new"

Unread 05/24/2011, 10:27 AM   #264
Psyops
Still Learning

I just got a Reef Dynamics XRC 180 skimmer. I am running it out of the sump for now until I figure out a way to fit it in my sump. If anyone is familiar with this skimmer, how would I safely do a water change using the wet skimmage technique on a out of sump skimmer setup? Or is it the same. I would probably need to change about 15 gallons per week to keep up with my normal schedule.

Psyops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2011, 07:37 AM   #265
carpetmonster
Registered Member

had a go at doing this last night after reading this thread.

Couple of observations: I think the ideal would be to run the skimmer fairly slowly - mine emptied out a couple of gallons in about 5 minutes, should really have slowed it down a bit to get more skimmer contact time.
It didnt really seem to do my skimmer much good. it took a while to "bed in" anyways, and stop producing microbubbles; after doing this, the inside of the skimmer cone had been flushed too clean and I had to turn the flow up way beyond where I had it beforehand. suspect when i get home later the cup will have overflowed.

Think if you have a sensitive skimmer thats tricky to dial in (like mine) this method causes a lot of trouble.

I am running biopearls; the alternative for me I guess is to divert the outlet of the reactor the pearls are in and use that for a water change. probably the same sort of effect.

carpetmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 06:58 AM   #266
GreenTankCorals
Registered Member

I just posted a thread in the D.I.Y Forum on a mod for skimmer to do wet skimmate water change. I am thinking this might be a pertinent forum as well, here's the link,
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2044505

GreenTankCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2011, 01:09 PM   #267
DenverBC29
Registered Member

I know that I don't have an "advanced" set up, but since reading this, I turned the airstone up significantly on my Biocube skimmer, installed a drain line leading to a gallon jug, and have been collecting a lot of brown/ugly water that I then replace with newly mixed Salt Water. It is much easier than making, draining, and replacing what seems to be mostly clean water each week. It basically creates a small daily water change and the water I pull out is gross, not clear and nice! It saves me time, money, and my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are now at 0. Before this method, my nitrate was in the 10-20 PPM range when tested.

I do not turn my skimmer down to make dry skimmate (this cheap skimmer never really made "dry" skimmate anyway), I run it nice and wet 24/7 and seems to work great for me.

Until I run into problems, I will continue to use this method instead of the classic 10-15% weekly water change.

Thank you to whoever came up with this method!!!

Freshwater 1999 to 2003. Saltwater 2003 to present.

My LED build - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2053315
My 2.5g tank build - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2048992
DenverBC29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2011, 01:30 AM   #268
Reefnut2010
Registered Member

I skim wet, but the downside is ... you have to constantly check salinity, calcium,mag and DKH . I now add a mix 50/50 of sea water and rodi water to my ato container. It demands adjustment from time to time. I do check salinity almost daily though !! It works and I still do regular water changes weekly.

Reefnut2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2011, 03:31 PM   #269
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

remember:

there's a BIG DIFFERENCE between wet skimming (24/7) and wet skimmate water changes!

Unread 09/21/2011, 10:57 PM   #270
Gorgok
Registered Member

I think it depends on what sort of water changes you do. Gradual and constant water changes, like you get with 24/7 wet skimming or big chunk water changes like you get by skimming wet for just a little while... I don't really do scheduled water changes, but my skimmer has always run wet, so i also have to keep topping off with some salt water. Effectively i do small water changes every day...

I'll be sure to remember this all though for my next tank, i'll even incorporate a new salt water tank to my ATO then. When i want to change water i'll skim wet and change the ATO source from fresh to mix, then just remember to go back to fresh when the skimmer is dialed back in. Who needs a fancy water change machine when you got this?

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2011, 07:39 AM   #271
Elliott
Registered Member

my system is setup as follows:

as skimmate is removed it is replaced with fresh seawater via ATO

evaporative loss is estimated and replaced throughout the day by RO/DI water via reservoir/pump controlled by Apex, which needs adjustment from time to time depending on the season

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2011, 06:53 PM   #272
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Nice to see this thread still alive... I'm still doing wet skimmate water changes and it seems to keep everything happy... I will on occasion vaccum my reef for pockets of waste that collect...

Couple pics in my link

http://richmondreefers.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer
JMBoehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2011, 03:57 PM   #273
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Quote:

Very simple.
I have to agree with Gary.

I wet skim 24/7 and perform a WC every 24hrs with 1-2% or total system volume. When your only changeing ~2gal, it's real easy to accomodate the usual 0.5-0.75gal that was wet skimmed plus the remaining portion to total 2 gal. After you have the skimmer set, if you perform a daily/bi-daily WC it can't be easier. No changing of gate valve setting and a 'clean' skimmer neck everyday.

If you dilute my concentrated skimmer waste with a comparative amount of water, it looks no differernt from the wet skimmate.

Then again, I guess by now this is only....

Save 'Wild' Nemo and his Nem.! Would you transplant a Redwood b/c it looks good with birds in the backyard??? Buy CB fish and Captive-Cloned nems.

Current Tank Info: 175gal. 3-tier Reef, 400W/250W Radiums, LED/CFL Par38 Mangrove Lagoon 12g Aquapod GBTA 'sterile' tank w/ DIY LED Lighting
DeathWish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2011, 11:05 PM   #274
Bladez
Premium Member

Found this topic while researching Lanthanum chloride for phosphate removal... I've employed this method for some time although more so in recent weeks in an attempt to get my algae under control.

I am working on a 10 gallon water change right now... The output is colored like green tea.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon Oceanic display, 120 gallon nem tank & 300 gallon Rubbermaid sump
Bladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2011, 04:12 PM   #275
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Been a while since I've visited this thread. I am very curious to know if the Skimmate removed via foam fractionation removes more undesirable DOM's, etc from our reefs than via syphoning water directly from your reef.. Could it remove elements we desire? When I initially wrote this thread that is what I was inquiring about.. Any thoughts?

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer
JMBoehling is offline   Reply With Quote