Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2009, 07:57 PM   #101
witfull
Registered Member

ive been doing the wet skim for a long time and i found an easier way to never have to worry about skimmer overflows or stinky skimate in the house. i drilled a 3/4"OD hole through the wall about 3 inches above ground level. then ran the skimmer cup drain line though the wall and outside. skimmate runs harmlessly into the side yard. no effect on plant life. its been running for yrs this way.

Yes, I'm the One and only Witty~

Current Tank Info: 210 full reef
witfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2009, 12:34 PM   #102
innercirclepro
Registered Member

im going to try the wetter skimate and see how it affects my salinity.

innercirclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2009, 12:02 PM   #103
ozzmosis
Registered Member

This is a very interesting idea! I like the simplicity of it and I can see how it could have it's advantages if done correctly. I'm getting ready to upgrade to an Austin Oceans Foaminator Max 4200 (dual beckett skimmer) on my 120 gal tank. I think that I will have no problems putting this idea into action on my tank. The are a few things to figure out of course. 1)How much water evaporates daily out of the tank so that a R/O drip could be implemented? 2)How strong to mix the salt water for top-off from the skimming? I guess the questions that I have for you guys are this. If, topping off seperate for evaporation and for what the skimmer takes out, would you want to mix the salt water to full content 1.026? Or does a skimmer take out salt water at full content when skimming wet? Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

I love the smell of Jet fuel burning in the morning!

In this hobby, you have to be careful not to catch AIDS (Aquarium Induced Divorce Syndrome)!

Current Tank Info: My tank is in the middle of a rebuild right now. I built this system over 2.5 years ago and just wasn't pleased with the outcome. So, this time around I'm improving things that I did poorly (aka "cheap") last time.
ozzmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2009, 12:14 PM   #104
Elliott
Registered Member

Hi Chris,
Though I have not measured myself, I've read here on RC that skimmate is comparable in salinity to the tank, so I mix my reservoir to the same salinity. You can use either the reservoir salinity or the RO/DI drip rate to control the tank's salinity. Since I use a dosing pump to drip RO/DI it's easier for me to adjust the rate, if salinity rises I increase the rate to adjust it down and vice versa.
By the way my ORP has gone up considerably since I started this technique. Also, I love not having to clean my skimmer cup very often.
Elliott

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2009, 01:30 PM   #105
ozzmosis
Registered Member

Very nice! I was thinking that it would be close to a normal mixture, but never tested it. So, I wasn't sure. Thanks for the reply.

I love the smell of Jet fuel burning in the morning!

In this hobby, you have to be careful not to catch AIDS (Aquarium Induced Divorce Syndrome)!

Current Tank Info: My tank is in the middle of a rebuild right now. I built this system over 2.5 years ago and just wasn't pleased with the outcome. So, this time around I'm improving things that I did poorly (aka "cheap") last time.
ozzmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2009, 06:11 PM   #106
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Update:

This new setup has finally got my DOC's down low enough to where my skimmer will run idle until there is something in the water column to remove. Never (in 5 years of running this skimmer on my tank) has this skimmer run idle, not producing skimmate. This is good stuff

Jim

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer
JMBoehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2009, 11:04 PM   #107
convict3
Registered Member

wet skimming

this is a great thread i have a question that is along the same line i m setting up a 75 gal reef with a octo extreme 200 in a 20 gal sump/refugium. i have 2-2 gallon container one will be filled with clean saltwater and connected to my ato. the other will be for the skimmer to skim into. i hope to get 2 gal of wet skimmate a day. in one month i will almost completed a 80% water change, 2 gallons at a time. evaporated water will hve to monitored manually.

i live in a apartment so i have to dump the collection cup every day
sorry for the mini highjack

convict3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2009, 01:06 PM   #108
JMBoehling
Premium Member

convict3

My saltwater is replaced via a float valve connected to a 5 gallon bucket of fresh saltwater

Evaporation is replaced via a bucket of freshwater mixed with Kalk and set to drip at approximately 1 drip per second. You need to play around with the drip rate to get this dialed in.

Just remember, your Saltwater replacement should equal the rate that your wet skimmate is removed. You'll want to check your reefs salinity every few days to make sure it is correct untill you get everything dialed in.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer
JMBoehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2009, 01:53 PM   #109
CoRPS
Big Time Reefer

Anyone have suggestions for people who skim with HOB skimmers? This sounds great and I can't believe I never thought to do it!

CoRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2009, 10:27 PM   #110
Herpervet
Registered Member

One question: The venturi is plumbed inside the collection cup or collection bucket.

Once it starts sucking water it shuts down the skimmer?

That's not what happens with my Warner Marine skimmer AS300

When the venturi starts to suck water instead of air then there is more water going through the skimmer and the water level rises quickly overflowing the collection cup.

Am I missing something? Does this require a recirculating skimmer to work?

If the skimmer is a recirculating model then the volume of water flowing into the skimmer isn't dependent on the amount of air going into the venturi. Right?

Herpervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2009, 07:47 AM   #111
Aimforever
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Herpervet
One question: The venturi is plumbed inside the collection cup or collection bucket.

Once it starts sucking water it shuts down the skimmer?

That's not what happens with my Warner Marine skimmer AS300

When the venturi starts to suck water instead of air then there is more water going through the skimmer and the water level rises quickly overflowing the collection cup.

Am I missing something? Does this require a recirculating skimmer to work?

If the skimmer is a recirculating model then the volume of water flowing into the skimmer isn't dependent on the amount of air going into the venturi. Right?
That sounds right to me. I thought the same thing when I read through this thread - they must be using recirculating skimmers. I know from experience if anything blocks airflow to my BK-mini (non-recirculating) it will quickly fill with water and start overflowing a few hundred GPH at the collection cup.

Aimforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2009, 07:50 AM   #112
Herpervet
Registered Member

Actually I think it is the gate valve that is the problem.

If you stick the venturi tube in water on an ASM G-3 with a stand pipe it does indeed shut the skimmer down and the excess water flow exits the stand pipe.

My Warner Marine skimmer has a gate valve and the water flow is restricted so it can't escape when the extra water flows into the skimmer so it overflows.

Herpervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2009, 03:59 PM   #113
SirVilhelm
Registered Member

Wow great thread! It's innovation like this that keeps pushing our hobby forward, before long this will become standard practice!

Anyway, I want to dive in and start doing this, I am running a Coralife Super Skimmer 220 on my 80 gal. Anyone try doing this with the Coralife?

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to balance water replenishment. During summer I have to refill my 5 gal auto-topoff tank several times a week but now in the winter months that same 5 gal container will last a week or more. So I guess with this setup you just take a stab in the dark on how much fresh water you should be replenishing vs salt?

Does anyone know if Neptune Systems makes a salinity prob for the AquaController 3?

edit: I would never have found this thread if it wasn't for Thread of the Month, awesome.

SirVilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2009, 05:22 PM   #114
Jerm77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SirVilhelm

Does anyone know if Neptune Systems makes a salinity prob for the AquaController 3?
its called a conductivity probe

Jerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 10:56 AM   #115
90g-reefer
Registered Member

Could I fill My ATO with diluted NSW (taking into account evap) and let my skimmer drain into a collection setup. Would that work?

90g-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 11:02 AM   #116
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Erik, I don't see why you couldn't do it that way, but you would need to constantly monitor your salinity and make adjustments as needed. It's much easier to just replace what's removed by your skimmer with the correct salinity water.

and

To Reef Central

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 11:06 AM   #117
90g-reefer
Registered Member

So if I just test my skimmate and match the salinity to that I should be ok?

90g-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 11:22 AM   #118
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Yes, In theory, the skimmate salinity should be the same as your tank water.

The difference in replacing skimmate water is it should be the same salinity as your tank water. Evaporation water is pure water, no salt. What ever way you chose to do it, check you salinity daily to learn how your doing with water replacement, and adjust accordingly.

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 03:18 PM   #119
SirVilhelm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerm77
its called a conductivity probe
Could someone who had the Neptune system running a float switch and conductivity probe setup a system that when the float switch activates the Neptune system will read the conductivity then activate either a fresh water pump or SW pump accordingly?

SirVilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 03:38 PM   #120
waldomas
Registered Member

I think they are saying that it is much simpler to replace skimmate w/ mixed saltwater at the same SG as your tank (activated by float valve), and replace evaporation w/ freash R/O water via conductivity probe.

waldomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 03:46 PM   #121
waldomas
Registered Member

I am unfamiliar w/ conductivity probes, and am wondering if the above scenereo is feasible. Are they reliable enough?
I guess you can make the "salinity stabilizer" fill tube small enough to help avoid a catastrophy and still keep up its job.

Anyone have a setup like this?

Anyone monitor w/ a conductivity probe?

waldomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2009, 08:41 PM   #122
luther1200
Premium Member

I think if I raised the level in my skimmer that much I would be skimming pretty much straight water. Is that what you guys mean? I have done it before when I first set it up, it was skimming way to much and overflowed my 1g external reservoir I use. I could definitely get the volume you guys talk about but what is the advantage. At that point isn't it straight water?

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2009, 03:44 PM   #123
nnahler
Registered Member

So how have your testing parameters changed doing this method of water changes? Any noticeable drops in Nitrates?

Current Tank Info: 125G Reef, 75G Seahorse/Clown gobies, 20G nano
nnahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2009, 07:19 PM   #124
mobert
Registered Member

For me, wet skimming was the only way I was able to lower my nitrates. I am now also wet skimming in my Bio-cube 29 gallon. I drilled the collection cup on the CPR SR3 with a 1/4" line and have it draining to an exterior one gallon container. Since this skimmer sits in the rear section of the tank, wet skimming is accomplished by adding a couple of cups of salt water to the tank, thereby raising the water level. This is great, I pour in clear water and out comes yellow water. It works amazingly well. The wet skimming automatically goes back to regular skimming as the water level goes back down. I am still tweaking the automatic top off of fresh water but this tank doesn't remember the last time it was this clean. The water actually sparkles now.

mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2009, 08:01 PM   #125
nnahler
Registered Member

I think I will have to start experimenting with this method...it has ALWAYS made sense to me, I just have never tried it..Thanks for the info

Current Tank Info: 125G Reef, 75G Seahorse/Clown gobies, 20G nano
nnahler is offline   Reply With Quote