Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2015, 06:46 AM   #1
griseum
Registered Member

New 300DD, Shark eggs, Mangroves, etc...

Took a video a few weeks ago. It includes quite a few of the tanks that are inline with the pond and the entire system.
Plus my new 300DD and Monterey Stand at the end of the video, which I really have had no time to pay any attention too.

During the portion where the tank with my homemade light diffuser (egg-crate) basket of shark eggs is shown, you can also see briefly that my Majestic Angel, has not grown at all in the past two years.
The baby blueface I had trouble with at first, the yellow scopas, Semifasciatus, Bellus and a dozen or so other fish I moved into the 300, which I also plumbed inline with everything else.

The mangroves in the far end of the tank are turning 4 years old, which get trimmed from growing taller. While the closer bunch are One year old. All grown from seed propagules. They have been grown under one of the Original Chinese-LED fixtures, which is also from about 2011-2012 !! I guess I was lucky with that purchase.

I would enjoy some feedback... Thanks!

Last edited by griseum; 03/13/2015 at 06:54 AM. Reason: a few spelling and grammar edits
griseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 07:00 AM   #2
caribfan
Registered Member

Love the look of the new deep dimension.

Mangroves look nice too, I have one old that I've been growing in my nano, but it only gets light from the sun. It's probably two years old, but just doesn't get a ton of growth.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 07:18 AM   #3
griseum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
Love the look of the new deep dimension.

Mangroves look nice too, I have one old that I've been growing in my nano, but it only gets light from the sun. It's probably two years old, but just doesn't get a ton of growth.

Thanks Matt! I'd love to see a pic/video of the mangrove sometime. I find them fascinating.

Unread 03/13/2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Nice setup. Mangroves grow great if you have them reaching for a light above them. Mine got too big for my sump (light couldn't be put any higher) and the mangroves started dropping leaves and going into hibernation... Or maybe they are dying? Either way I really like them and my next setup I hope to have literal trees growing out of the refugium

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 09:44 AM   #5
RayL
Registered Member

Amazing set up, what's your total water volume combined?

RayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 03:13 PM   #6
griseum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Nice setup. Mangroves grow great if you have them reaching for a light above them. Mine got too big for my sump (light couldn't be put any higher) and the mangroves started dropping leaves and going into hibernation... Or maybe they are dying? Either way I really like them and my next setup I hope to have literal trees growing out of the refugium
Theres some amazing threads in the Macro Forum that gave me some ideas. You've probably seen some of them. I've always loved Julian Sprung's mangrove, display refugium. And thanks!
I get great growth with the older mangroves. I just have to remember to spray them with RO water everyday. But you're right, if I was able to raise the light I'd get more vertical growth. But, theres a tank above the light, that actually feeds the tank with the mangroves. You can see the pvc coming at an angle from right above it. The tank above is a cryptic-fuge/settling tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL View Post
Amazing set up, what's your total water volume combined?
Hey! Thanks, as well! The total water volume depends a lot on the depth of the pond at any given time. The pond behaves a lot like a sump, showing the water lost to evaporation, or from siphoning any of the tanks, etc. The tanks stay level and the pond goes down. 1 inch of water in the pond is roughly 70-ish gallons. I try to keep it at 15-18 inches, atleast. When its at that depth, the water volume falls between 1900g and 2150 gallons.

Unread 03/13/2015, 07:04 PM   #7
RayL
Registered Member

That's impressive, I love watching the videos of your pond.

Unfortunately I had to take a short break from the hobby, but when I return, my plan is to do something similar. I don't plan on the pond, but I want to have several tanks hooked up together with one large sump.
When the time comes, I might have some questions for you, but it's still going to be a while

I wish you continued success

RayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2015, 04:25 PM   #8
griseum
Registered Member

RayL- I recall reading your post a few months back during which you mentioned you were taking a break. Your Bandits were really nice!
I appreciate your compliments. I'm sure you'll come back better than ever!

Unread 03/14/2015, 08:05 PM   #9
G4546
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL View Post
That's impressive, I love watching the videos of your pond.

I wish you continued success
+1

It's always nice to see what you're up to G.

G4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2015, 08:00 AM   #10
griseum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4546 View Post
+1

It's always nice to see what you're up to G.
Much appreciated. Sorry to see your shark passed. Undoubtedly you did everything you could.

Unread 03/18/2015, 09:46 AM   #11
griseum
Registered Member

I couldn't figure out why I had some of the eggs fouling within 20 days of being laid.
After talking with a few people, (and thanks again, Alprazo) I believe it was due to residual Praziquantel in the water.
Added a large Carbon Reactor.
So far so good.

Unread 03/19/2015, 09:37 AM   #12
arashsheikhpoor
Registered Member

So cool

arashsheikhpoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300dd, macro, mangrove, pond, shark