Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2017, 07:05 AM   #26
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post

The octopus will do fine, it is a gulf dwarf. I have sold thousands of the over the years and they are great and interesting critters for a real saltwater tank. Dr. Caldwell from University of Berkeley has done a lot of research on them over the years from specimens we have supplied him. Easy to keep, just keep it fed. They have a two year lifespan, yours is a Juvenal, most likely less than a year old.

See that coral growing on the rock, and all the other life...it will do fine in a saltwater tank.
Thank you all, this is why I am so glad to have found this forum, I can't say it enough times. Bunch of good people, with lots of experience and very respectful of newbies and everyone in general.

Now Jared, I gave the octopus away to a LFS but I could call them and take it back if it won't become a peril to my tank or fish or vice-versa. The fella is sticky as hell and I have a rimless tank, I am afraid I may find him on my bedside any morning and that's the end of my marriage
Also the tank just started cycle about 4 days to go so it still have some time left. Would it be safe to put it in there?...if so, what does he eat?

About the rocks, I apologize for the dumb question but...which one is the coral? The blue crystal-like? I though so but it is soft to the touch, on the other hand the spongy like brown stuff with the white spot on it is hard, I was told it is a dead coral by the guys in my LFS.

Thank you!

allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 07:07 AM   #27
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Most of the live stuff I can see on your rock will probably die, like most sponges do if out of the water. However, some do tolerate it and may survive.
Ron, is there anything I can do to rescue as many sponges as possible? Also...is it a problem them dying in the tank?...should I be worried about phosphates or the health of the tank in general with so many potential sponges dying in it?

Unread 10/05/2017, 07:14 AM   #28
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendehl View Post
Ron, is there anything I can do to rescue as many sponges as possible? Also...is it a problem them dying in the tank?...should I be worried about phosphates or the health of the tank in general with so many potential sponges dying in it?
No 'rescue' needed....everything will be fine in your tank.....best not to expose the rock to the air...do some reading here from folks who have the rock...

http://tbsaltwater.com/testimonials/index.html

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 07:28 AM   #29
d2mini
Registered Member

Here's my current TBS tank after just 4 months.
I already had a lot of the coral and had no choice but to put it in, immediately following the addition of Part II.
Everything survived. No pest issues. Macros, tunicates and sponges slowly wither away or get eaten which is expected, but now I'm at the 6 month mark and still have some of the sponges and other stuff can still be found.

I've also got this guy...

You'll probably see a lot of these pop up too.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 07:33 AM   #30
ginpang
Registered Member

What came with my TBS rock??

I forgot to mention a tank where the octopus will be the only occupant , besides his food.

Perhaps I thought it obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ginpang; 10/05/2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Just read simultaneous posts- no go
ginpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 07:43 AM   #31
ginpang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
No 'rescue' needed....everything will be fine in your tank.....best not to expose the rock to the air...do some reading here from folks who have the rock...

http://tbsaltwater.com/testimonials/index.html

+1 expose to air as little as possible , thought sometimes the fear or dying will make them multiply depends on the type of sponge.
This happened when I was pulling out rocks to scrub with a potato brush to get rid of dynoflagellates.
About 6 months ago , I’m thinking aplysilla species. 1 big one exploded into 25-30 babies.

ginpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 08:03 AM   #32
allendehl
Registered Member

Can someone point out which one is the coral on my rocks?

Thanks!

Unread 10/05/2017, 09:27 AM   #33
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Can someone point out which one is the coral on my rocks?

Thanks!
use this list.... http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html

and ck out #19
http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 11:36 AM   #34
Bulldog39
Registered Member

What is tbs rock???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bulldog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 11:39 AM   #35
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog39 View Post
What is tbs rock???

Live rock bought from Tampabaysaltwater.com

It's really amazing.

Unread 10/05/2017, 11:43 AM   #36
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Quote:
Live rock bought from Tampabaysaltwater.com

It's really amazing.
Cool that's where I'm from. Have to check them out nd see prices

Bulldog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 09:07 PM   #37
DavisGandJessie
Registered Member

Keep it in your tank. My ammonia never went up when I cycled my tank because of all the good bacteria in the rock. It'll be cycled in a couple weeks. You might get a 1ppm ammonia, do a water change. I had zero loss on everything that came in with the rocks. 2 starfish, 4 urchins, crabs, snails, rock anemone, and so much more. Only problem is all those sponges will most likely die as you kept them out of water so you may have spike in ammonia. I would definitely say keep the Octopus. Those rocks are really really good with cycling new tanks.

DavisGandJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 02:54 AM   #38
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
Hey Ron, have you thought about a Wrasse? I've also read where Peppermint Shrimp eat flat worms. I have no idea if that is true or not though. Just a thought.
Thanks for the idea, as it turns out I just got 2 wrasses a few days ago. These flat worms don't cause much trouble. They seem to gather on live rock, bare sand and the tank glass but not on any corals? However, they do reproduce like rabbits and make the tank look bad. The population in my 50g anemone tank seems to be going down slightly, probably due to over population.

Unread 10/06/2017, 04:23 AM   #39
cincyjim
Registered Member

Great! I've seen videos of where those things look to be swarming there are so many of them. I'm glad you are getting ahead of them!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote