Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2012, 10:13 AM   #1
mikoz
Registered Member

Ecoxotic LED "version 2" mounts?

Hi,

I am really disappointed with the way the 18" pro versions mount to a non-rimless tank. The mount itself is not able to hold the weight of the light even if the light itself is not extended on the fork, and the adjustment method is really not well designed... just extend a screw to compensate for the droop.

I had a light bar fail under warranty and also mentioned I was having this problem and sent them pictures. I specifically mentioned I had a glass tank with a plastic frame (your typical glass tank). They said they had a "Version 2" of the mount that addressed the problem. So, they sent it.

When I got it, it appears to be 100% identical to version 1, down to the mm, and the material is also the same. There appears to be a "version 2" for rimless/frameless tanks that's wider, but, obviously that doesn't apply to me and they didn't even send it. So, it appears, in summary, that they sent me the exact same thing I had.

Obviously they acknowledge that the mount is inferior at least with rimless/frameless setups, as they made a version2 that appears to be considerably wider at least by looking at the pictures in the instructions. What's going on here?

Attached is a pic of the sagging that's really almost a joke, the compensation screws are almost maxed out. Also, attached is a pic of the "new mount" they send out... the old one is on the left, the new on the right... they are identical.

Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mount.jpg (47.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg mount_sag.jpg (45.0 KB, 12 views)
mikoz is offline   Reply With Quote