Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2013, 06:18 PM   #1
squishifishi
Hopelesly Addicted Member

Toadstool brown spots?

I was gone for a day and accidentally left my flow and filter turned off, which none of the corals liked except ricordea mushroom. I'm not sure if its related, but my toadstool has two brown spots now. They don't seem to be growing or spreading. When I first came home i could blow the brown goo off but now it does not. Seems firmer. The edges are slightly raised,so it sorta looks like a scab, le I should just peel it off but I don't want to damage the coral. Color is good, regular polyp extension except in the small brown areas. Sorry the polyps are retracted in the pic.
Any ideas?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.9 KB, 46 views)
"pictures at last"
in the nano forums:)

Current Tank Info: 2.5g pico reef: 5-15hob filter, 10w led light,Stock;neon goby,Pom Pom crab,hermits, astrea, margarita, nassarius, micro brittles, shrooms,palys, xenia, galaxea, zoas,ricordea, litho,chalice,leather,pocci,.WISH LIST:sexy shrimp
squishifishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2013, 08:26 PM   #2
justthewife
Registered Member

I just went thru an awful ordeal with my toadstool.

What I learned from this experience and to possibly help others though I am not an expert and others may be more helpful/knowledgeable.

I have been reading and reading trying to find out what killed my toadstool (I also might have had a hand in that by trying too hard). These toadstool leathers are supposed to be hearty and survive everything. From what I have read, if there are spots on it, it is a wound, possibly by a predator. If the spots are not getting any bigger and you are getting good polyp extension, if it were me ( like I said I am not an expert), I would just make sure there is good flow around it, keep up with water changes and observe it to see if it heals itself and watch for a predator (snail, crab, worm, fish, other coral). Don't try to pick off the scabs. That stresses the coral more. Dipping stresses the coral more. I would just observe it for now. If the spots get worse and bigger and bigger, I would start reading up on cutting the infected piece off to save the toadstool. In your case being that your flow was turned off, it could have left it open to a predator or sting from another coral that ordinarily wouldn't have been able to get to it or something may have landed on it and irritated it. Observation is the key right now.

justthewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2013, 07:47 PM   #3
squishifishi
Hopelesly Addicted Member

I couldn't resist the urge, so I siphoned the brown spots off. It looks fine now. There is no brown coming back and a good yellow color underneath. It is more wrinkly in that area and lighter, but looks ok. Thank you for the advice and I'm sure glad I didn't get what you had!

"pictures at last"
in the nano forums:)

Current Tank Info: 2.5g pico reef: 5-15hob filter, 10w led light,Stock;neon goby,Pom Pom crab,hermits, astrea, margarita, nassarius, micro brittles, shrooms,palys, xenia, galaxea, zoas,ricordea, litho,chalice,leather,pocci,.WISH LIST:sexy shrimp
squishifishi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brown, disease, leather, toadstool