Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2013, 08:59 PM   #1
TheGreek21
Registered Member

ICH help!

So i have a reef tank that has been up and running for a little over 2 years. I recently added a new flame angel who the next day introduced ich to the system. my powder blue tang, starry blenny, and yellow tang are covered in it. they keep on scratching their bodies on the rocks but have been very active and eating like pigs! so they seem healthy. its been about a week now and the ich is still there. When will this go away??? i don't have a qt (nor the money to start one) and have too many corals and inverts in the system for copper treatment. Is there anything else i can do or will it go away on its own?

TheGreek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Deinonych
Registered Member

It will not go away on its own. Only way to rid your tank of the parasite is to remove all fish for treatment in a QT. You will need to leave your tank fallow (without fish) for a minimum of 8 weeks. A quarantine tank does not cost a lot. I feel a QT is required for long term success in this hobby.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2013, 09:42 PM   #3
TheGreek21
Registered Member

any idea on how i can catch some of these fish. the damsels are darn near impossible and because of all the corals, taking out the live rock to catch them isn't really an option. so there is no natural ways to cure this?

Unread 09/21/2013, 12:32 AM   #4
stlcards14
Registered Member

Fish trap

stlcards14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2013, 01:12 PM   #5
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

You can find all you need for a QT on Craigslist for less than the price of most fish. Your system has ich and there is no way other than using a QT/HT for the fish while your main tank stays fishless for 10+ weeks. Then, use the QT for all new fish and never have the problem again. If you won't use a QT, perhaps this isn't the hobby for you. Its a vital piece of equipment, not just a nice thing to have.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Deinonych
Registered Member

The Aqua Medic fish trap works well - see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMlMFA6nh34

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2013, 02:35 PM   #7
gone fishin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuskfish View Post
You can find all you need for a QT on Craigslist for less than the price of most fish. Your system has ich and there is no way other than using a QT/HT for the fish while your main tank stays fishless for 10+ weeks. Then, use the QT for all new fish and never have the problem again. If you won't use a QT, perhaps this isn't the hobby for you. Its a vital piece of equipment, not just a nice thing to have.
+1 to this and there are numerous stickies on the various treatments to be rid of ich.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2013, 08:19 PM   #8
TheGreek21
Registered Member

my LFS rented a fish trap to me for $2 a day and I got the little guys!

Unread 09/22/2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Miniblaz3
Registered Member

I got my second flame angel 3 weeks ago my first one had marine ich stupidly didn't put home in QT he infected my tank with ich in 2 days didn't see any signs when I got him or any signs in the tank in the LFS that set me back 2 months treating the rest of my fish and leaving the reef fishles. The one I just got I did QT and the next day broke out in ich, he is still under going the QT time. I've noticed the flames tend to contract ich very easy, has anyone else noticed that as well?

Miniblaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copper, disease, ich, powder blue tang, treatment