Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2014, 12:51 PM   #1
nudifun
Registered Member

Euphyllia Frogspawn Tissue recession/falling off?

Good day all,

I have a Branching Frogspawn that I have had for 8 months. In that time it has sprouted two heads bringing it up to a total of three heads. It has been healthy and obviously growing ever since I got it. I noticed a couple months back that I wasn't seeing growth as fast as before. I figured that wasn't enough evidence to start a full investigation so i told myself I would just monitor more closely for a time. Well I forgot about him (setting up a new tank) and it seems he's taken a drastic turn for the worst.

One of the heads has receded back far enough to show the ridges of its skeleton on the top of its head. The other two still maintain good coverage on the top of their heads but right below the top on the branches sides you can begin to see the skeletal ridges beginning to show. That same area of the branch (right below the top of the head) appears white/creamish color and appears to be falling/peeling off the skeleton. It definitely looks like he is withering away and I cannot see why.

I thought it could be Brown Jelly but i do not see any telltale signs of this. The coral does not smell like rot either. The whitish cream color on the branches that is peeling off could be either its flesh or the zooxanthellae shedding. Does anyone know what this could be? is he doomed? can this be fixed?

All other corals specifically LPS's are all growing and doing quite well. I supplement feeding only once a week and dose calcium every other day. He is in a 20 gallon high with 96w 4-bulb T5 HO 2x10,00k and 2xactinic. The tank has been established for 1 year. The parameters are and have been stable. They are as follows:

Ammonia: 0.0ppm
Nitrite: 0.0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Po: .01
Alk: 9KH
Ph: 8.0
Ca: 460
Mg: 1450

P.s. love this icon

nudifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2014, 02:05 PM   #2
nudifun
Registered Member

Pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0202.jpg (56.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140103_122819.jpg (44.6 KB, 76 views)
Unread 01/03/2014, 02:07 PM   #3
nudifun
Registered Member

pics 2

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0207.jpg (52.2 KB, 80 views)
Unread 01/06/2014, 12:09 PM   #4
nudifun
Registered Member

BUMPing Myself.......... ;-(

Unread 01/06/2014, 04:18 PM   #5
maroonman
Registered Member

have you added any new shrimp or fish?

maroonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2014, 04:32 PM   #6
skidoctor
Registered Member

Infection. Cut off dying heads if possible, iodine dip, place in low flow/ low light and hope for the best. It will spread to all heads if left untreated.

skidoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2014, 04:36 PM   #7
nudifun
Registered Member

What kind of infection? If that's the case I guess he is done. Out of the three heads one is way more receded than the others. The other two are still full and what not but they are still starting to show their skeletal ridges going up the side of their branches into the head. The coloring right below the head on the skeleton is whitish yellowish too. almost like new skin. its clean looking and without algae, debris, dirt, etc.....

Tags
disease, dying, euphyllia, frogspawn, infection