Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2014, 08:09 PM   #1
shawnriv
Registered Member

Quarantine Help

Hi Everyone,

I've had my tank running for about eight months and have had a very large learning curve. The tank is a 48 gallon bow with 35 pounds of dry rock (now live), one scarlet skunk shrimp, roughly 40 snails, and one bubble tip sea anemone. My tank had recently had fallen victim to ich and I lost all my fish. I made the mistake of never quarantining my new fish and I've paid dearly. I just purchased myself a fifteen gallon quarantine with a sponge filter and a heater. It has been four weeks since all my fish died from ich and I'm looking to give it another go. I also have purchased Seachem's Paraguard and Cupramine, as well as PraziPro. I've watched the YouTube video from Vivid Aquariums about quarantining new fish preventively and I want to the best for any newly purchased fish. Tomorrow I am picking up two true percula clowns from my LFS and I'm not 100% on how to quarantine them using these preventative medications. According to Vivid Aquariums they say new fish should be medicated with the Cupramine and PraziPro...but clowns should also be medicated with Paraguard as it fights off other parasites and diseases such as Brooklynella. I'd like to know what everyone thinks!

Thanks!

shawnriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2014, 08:19 AM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

I would suggest 2 rounds of Prazi (5 days apart), followed by 4 weeks of Cupramine. Or vice versa. If your clowns develop Brook, that will need to be dealt with via Formalin dips. You don't want to use formalin in-tank.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2014, 08:20 AM   #3
snorvich
Team RC member

If you had ich (as opposed to velvet, which is what I think you had based on the mortality time line) you need to leave your tank fallow for 9 weeks. If you had velvet, the fallow period would be six weeks. I use tank transfer to eliminate ich (12 days), always treat with prazipro x2, and then observe for a full 4 weeks after tank transfer.

Unread 03/21/2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
If you had ich (as opposed to velvet, which is what I think you had based on the mortality time line) you need to leave your tank fallow for 9 weeks. If you had velvet, the fallow period would be six weeks. I use tank transfer to eliminate ich (12 days), always treat with prazipro x2, and then observe for a full 4 weeks after tank transfer.
+1 Me too

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish, disease, ich, prazipro, quarantine