Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2018, 10:02 PM   #1
FishNick
Registered Member

Persistent Cupramine Dosing

Hey guys, I have a quick question! So I am currently using a spare 5 gal tank to treat a small clownfish I got for my reef tank I am building. This is my second time in the hobby and I have been very, very tedious with how I go about things. I lost all of my fish a few years ago, and I believe it was due to a lack of quarantine practicing. (Never did it)

This time around I am doing things right! While I know a 5 gallon is a small, tempermental tank to be using for a quarantine, its only temporary. However, being that it is small, I am having to do frequent water changes.

My question is, how do you guys maintain proper copper levels when you have to do water changes? I have read that copper levels are to slowly rise over 5-7 days, and then maintain stability for weeks to properly treat, but how does one maintain a balanced copper level with water changes? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks guys!

FishNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 09:55 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

You try to have enough of a bacterial population to avoid having to do water changes. I assume you're doing water changes because of ammonia? DO NOT use a water conditioner with cupramine FYI

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 02:12 PM   #3
FishNick
Registered Member

Ammonia exactly. I have a sponge filter I set in my DT so it could help seed the tank. And no, I do not use water conditioner. I've read it does not react well with copper. I just use good ol RO/DI water

Unread 03/05/2018, 03:19 PM   #4
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

when you make replacement saltwater say its 20 gal at a time or 50 gal at a time just put cupramine in that water according to Seachem recommendation on dosing. so everytime you change water in your QT it will keep cupramine at stable level and not increase or decrease.
Note: use that medicated water only for QT.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 08:02 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that dosing the replacement saltwater will work. That's what I would do, if I were stuck making water changes. Hopefully, the sponge will get going soon.

Unread 03/05/2018, 10:25 PM   #6
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Dose the copper to the makeup water.

It's certainly best to establish the tank early on before dosing copper. Ammonia test kits don't work particularly well. I use seachems ammonia alert badge.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 11:50 PM   #7
FishNick
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I'll get some water set up.