Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2018, 08:38 AM   #1
vlangel
Registered Member

Plumbing 2 tanks side by side using 1 return pump

Hi all, currently I have (2) 24" high tanks side by side. The 56g column tank is an AIO and the 30g XH seahorses tank is plumbed to a sump in the basement. The tanks are in our living room and look nice together.

2018-11-10_05-12-10 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

However when my 3 seahorses have lived out their natural lives I plan to turn the 30g XH tank into a display fudge with a DSB and macro algae or seagrasses. I would like to plumb the 2 tanks together but only use one DC adjustable flow pump.

Do any of you see a problem with using a diy overflow like in this YouTube video. ( I could actually build 2, the 2nd one slightly higher than the 1st in case of a drain clog). https://youtu.be/WgcyuXm0QRM
I realize that I may have to run the 30g XH fuge tank's water level slightly lower but that would be ok.

Last edited by vlangel; 12/06/2018 at 08:51 AM. Reason: https://flic.kr/p/R7CJ5u
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

Hey Dawn. It shouldn't be a problem. Be careful with the returns. Put a hole on each to keep it from siphoning too much down to the sump and be sure it's kept clean. Sorry about the seahorses. I know how you felt about them.

Unread 12/07/2018, 07:32 AM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Hey Dawn. It shouldn't be a problem. Be careful with the returns. Put a hole on each to keep it from siphoning too much down to the sump and be sure it's kept clean. Sorry about the seahorses. I know how you felt about them.
Thank you for the reply Jesse. And the seahorses are fine. This is my future plan when they have all lived out their natural lives, LOL. I guess my post was not worded very well. I already have a 'break syphon hole' in my current sumped tank so I totally understand how important it is and keeping it clean.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 07:41 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I couldn't sleep at night using that.. Or any other HOB for that matter..
If you do it I recommend periodic maintenance to completely remove and clean the unit to remove internal buildup,etc..
If you notice its also not capable of more than very low flow rates as shown there..
Doubling up like you said its a very good thing..

Personally I'd rather buy a bigger tank and install a divider (egg crate grid or whatever) if I wanted a segregated system like that on one level..