Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2019, 05:02 PM   #1
callsign4223
Registered Member

Budget tank

I have a nice 110 reef tank with all the bells and whistles. I have a 20 gallon tank just sitting around collecting dust. I've decided I want to try to do a budget/minimalist nano setup with it. I'm going to use a heater and a koralia powerhead I have laying around. I'm going to forego skimmers and any overflow and just do bi-weekly 5 gallon water changes to keep parameters in line. I'm hoping all I need to buy will be rock, sand, and a light. On the light front I'm trying to decide between two "budget" options on Amazon.

They are

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JTB5Q5...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Opt...QE26291S0HDPQ7

Anyone have any suggestions one way or the other? I am only looking at keeping at most some LPS in this tank, no SPS or super sensitive corals.

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 06:11 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Both lights are a bit on the weak side for a 20g tank...but may work provided you stay with low light corals

Unread 01/23/2019, 07:22 AM   #3
callsign4223
Registered Member

My plan is just a few LPS such as hammers and acans in the top half of the tank fairly central. Anything that would go lower would be a hardier softie. I use something very similar in a horticulture spectrum to the bottom option on my sump for my refugium and it has worked impressively.

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote