Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2017, 09:38 PM   #1
BadgeNC
Registered Member

Clownfish Variety ID

I picked up this pair of clowns from a local reefer. Just wondering what the variety is. Not sure if these are black ice snowflakes or premium picasso clowns (or something else)?

Any experts that can ID them?

Current Tank Info: 120 gal mixed reef w/39 gal emerald sump - pair snowflake clowns, blue hippo tang, sailfin tang, neon dottyback, pajama cardinals, lyretail anthias, coral-banded shrimp, fire shrimp, reef lobstser, urchin, goatfish, cleaner wrasse, green mandarin
BadgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 11:30 AM   #2
BadgeNC
Registered Member

Bump - if anyone knows the variety, I'm curious.

Current Tank Info: 120 gal mixed reef w/39 gal emerald sump - pair snowflake clowns, blue hippo tang, sailfin tang, neon dottyback, pajama cardinals, lyretail anthias, coral-banded shrimp, fire shrimp, reef lobstser, urchin, goatfish, cleaner wrasse, green mandarin
Unread 01/18/2017, 11:55 AM   #3
OllieNZ
Registered Member

I'm far from expert but they appear to be ocellaris which would rule out Picasso. Definitely a snowflake of some description. Can't be more help than that sorry.

Reefed out
OllieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 12:47 AM   #4
Fishkeeper44
Registered Member

Looks like black ice snowflakes to me

Fishkeeper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 04:49 PM   #5
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Agree looks like Black Ice.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 06:28 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

It also can be a Snow-Onyx. My SnowOnyx looks just like that

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 10:59 PM   #7
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Clownfish Variety ID

Looks like black ice snowflake to me maybe even a premium black ice snowflake those two dots by the tail are called bullet holes
Very nice fish

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 08:37 AM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

Here is my Snow Onyx which I raised from a Snowflakes and an Rod Onyx

And here are my Black Snowflakes. Got from a friend when they are about 1/2 inches. Mature now

If your fish are mature fish, there is no way that they can be Black Snowflakes (Black Ice). However they have too much black to be Ocellaris. That leave one option, they are cross between Snowflakes Ocellaris and some Percula somewhere in there genes.

SnowOnyx or SnowflakeXPercula. Most likely SnowOnyx

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:56 AM   #9
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Here is a screen shot from ora i think it looks very similar to the black ice snowflake and since the last two bars are connected and there is some more white it makes it a premium

How did you get to your conclusion

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 12:22 PM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

I guess it could be a Black Ice, which I think a cross of Black Ocellaris with orange Ocellaris. The different between Black Ice Snowflakes, which have murky, chocolate color orange, versus a Snow Onyx Snowflakes, which have clear orange and black border and much brighter orange.

OP, is the orange color on your fish is orange or murky color?

These day with breeders and reefers cross breed everything under the sun, it is impossible to be sure.

Unread 01/23/2017, 12:28 PM   #11
davocean
Registered Member

I agree it certainly is getting harder to ID w/ all the mixes, but they do look like black ice snowflakes to me, and very pretty!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 01:09 PM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post

Here is a screen shot from ora i think it looks very similar to the black ice snowflake and since the last two bars are connected and there is some more white it makes it a premium

How did you get to your conclusion
Sorry, I was thinking that Black Snowflakes and Black Ice is the same. When I read your post, I went and read a bit more about Black Ice and find that is a cross of Orange Ocellaris and Black Ocellaris (Which I know as Chocolate/Mocha Ocelaris) rather than Black Ice. I just did not know what is a Black Ice Snowflakes is the same as Chocolate/Mocha Snowflakes.

Unread 01/26/2017, 06:22 AM   #13
BadgeNC
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I agree they look like black ice snowflakes too, and it's getting harder to ID all these cross-breeds.