Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2007, 09:37 PM   #76
otolith
Cancer Sucks

OUTSTANDING work, Scott.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." --John Muir

Current Tank Info: 210g in the works :)
otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2007, 08:32 AM   #77
djyox
Registered Member

Wow! Congrat guys! That has got to be the coolest setup I've seen! Love the huge tank and great setup of the fish room...

I'm drooling over here!

djyox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2007, 10:57 AM   #78
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Very well done!

Looks like a great set up, and for a great cause. You should be very proud.

MAybe I missed it, but what are the deminsions of the display?

Unread 09/05/2007, 12:35 PM   #79
spazz
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze

MAybe I missed it, but what are the deminsions of the display?
the tank is 96" x 48" x 48" external dimentions. the internal dimentions make it a 850 gallon tank.

spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2007, 10:40 AM   #80
chrisqueenz
Registered Member

Very nice!!

chrisqueenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2007, 11:20 AM   #81
bshumake
Registered Member

I expect to be updating in the next day or so. I've had some personal setbacks that have required my attention. Sorry everyone.

Current Tank Info: 90 Reef, 440W of T5, blah, blah
bshumake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2007, 03:07 PM   #82
mtfatwork
Registered Member.

This is a great setup and Scott is a great guy. His ingenuity is great. It has been fun watching this take shape, and will be even more cool to see when it is stocked.

Current Tank Info: 11 gallon frag tank w/ a 400 gallon sump!
mtfatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2007, 03:42 PM   #83
submersible
Registered Member

Truely amazing!

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon zoo
submersible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2007, 04:32 PM   #84
mxett
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
I use to be a PACS admin. At one of our sites FL we got a new 3t magnet (MRI) and we put it on the 4th floor of a building. Everytime you by a magnet the vendor will do vibration test and such. We had the 3rd floor roof reinforced with some crazy steel reinforcement. I can see if I cna dig up some pictures. We had some windows on the side of a building cut out and then it was lifted on in with a crane. We were the first with a clinical 3T (MRI) Florida.

We had a tank in one of our mr rooms and the fish didn't like the noise. They kept dieing. If it close you might want to consider some type of noise shielding. When the magnets perform different types of exams they can make some loud weird anoing noise. The noise really stressed the fish. I would love to see pics of there setup.

Funny I now am being trained on Linear Accelartors. What vendors are they using for there magnes and Accelaors?

This is one incredible build. Keep the PICS coming.
Surely you didnt have an aquarium in the ACTUAL scanning room?? That would be bizzar, and probaby somewhat unsafe. Any ferrous objects in the tank, whether water proof or not, will be attracted to the MR magnet, and if during maintenance are moved closer to the main field they could end up in the gantry in a hurry. Not to mention the magnet and radiofrequency interference to the uniformity of the magnetic gradients of the scanner, seriously compromising image quality. You can really be serious about an aquarium in a scanner room right?

mxett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2007, 04:44 PM   #85
Thinslis
Registered Member

Great people doing great things, this world needs more people like you guys.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder, ER-RS80, MP40w, 250w + 2xT5
Thinslis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2007, 10:23 PM   #86
erics3000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mxett
Surely you didnt have an aquarium in the ACTUAL scanning room?? That would be bizzar, and probaby somewhat unsafe. Any ferrous objects in the tank, whether water proof or not, will be attracted to the MR magnet, and if during maintenance are moved closer to the main field they could end up in the gantry in a hurry. Not to mention the magnet and radiofrequency interference to the uniformity of the magnetic gradients of the scanner, seriously compromising image quality. You can really be serious about an aquarium in a scanner room right?
Yes I am serious. I wouldn't have posted it if I wasn't. It was built into a side storage. I wish I got to see it in its full beauty. When I started working there it was already on its way down. I don't how that ordeal got started. Most likely some cute marketing girl got to him. hahahhahhah

He usually got what he wanted. I remember when we put a 3t on the 3rd floor of our new office we had to get a few site surveys untill we passed with the vibration test. I need to swing by there and say hi. We has another split before I left that company. I will try and get to the 2nd floor and post some pics of the reinforcement structre.

The techs had to purge the magnet once due to a wheelchair stuck on the magnet. They were lucky the patient didn't get hurt. $$$$$

I did get to see some guys working on the pretty light box over head get his pliers stuck to our first open. I had a picture if the pliers stuck on it with some blood around it from the guys hand. That time they were able to pry them off.

It is funny now looking back at it. The Cheif Tech told me all the fish kept dieing ...wonder why? I think the tank sat there empty for a few years. I was getting back into the hobby when we were going through a split and someone beat me to it. I could had a nice free tank. Oh well..

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
erics3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2007, 04:26 AM   #87
mxett
Registered Member

I'm sorry to say this but.....only in America!!!!

Having an aquarium in an MRI scanning room is the dumbest and most careless thing I have ever heard of. Wait until I tell my MRI colleagues in Oz. After they stop laughing they will agree that it is an extremely unsafe scenario. Adding water and electricity into such a electromagnetically dynamic environment for a view of a tank that most patient wont see, (because their head is in a tunnel) is just sheer lunacy. Not to mention all the radiofrequency interference from the various pumps and lighting, so much for a faraday cage!

But, given you have described 2 serious ferrous object 'disasters', one involving the loss of thousand of dollars of cryogen, the other resulting in an injury, why would I be surprised. My MRI department has not even come close to such an incident in nearly 10 years. Maybe US MR techs need re-educating on MRI safety, and a quick reminder of why an aquarium in such a high end diagnositic application is so inappropriate. Surely a tank in the waiting room is enough.

Unread 10/01/2007, 08:57 AM   #88
nauticac4
Baby Fish Wrangler

mxett, your post was as dumb of a post as I have seen. The unit was tapped into cooling from an MRI unit and from what I can read will be no where near one. Go back and read the thread again.

Guy what you doing is great. I can't wait to see it finished. Best of Luck!! I'm following along for the ride.

PBITAWA !!!

Current Tank Info: 180 Cube 3x3x3. 29Gallon Sump 20 Gallon Fuge (1) Lumenarc Reflector w. 250W ARO Ballast and - Modded GS1 Skimmer - Eheim 1262 Return - Vortech MP40W and Swirler Stein
nauticac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2007, 09:03 AM   #89
spazz
Awaiting Email Confirmation

the tank is no where near the MRI unit. we are just using the chilled water from the cooling system that also cools the MRI unit.
also the MRI unit is inclosed inside a shielded room so there will not be any affect on the fish or corals from stray magnetic fields comming off the magnet.

spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2007, 09:15 AM   #90
mrcrab
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by nauticac4
mxett, your post was as dumb of a post as I have seen. The unit was tapped into cooling from an MRI unit and from what I can read will be no where near one. Go back and read the thread again.
I think you need to go back and read again. mxett wasn't comenting on the St. Jude build. He was replying to the post that erics3000 made re a tank in a facility that he worked at.

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
I use to be a PACS admin. At one of our sites FL we got a new 3t magnet (MRI) and we put it on the 4th floor of a building. Everytime you by a magnet the vendor will do vibration test and such. We had the 3rd floor roof reinforced with some crazy steel reinforcement. I can see if I cna dig up some pictures. We had some windows on the side of a building cut out and then it was lifted on in with a crane. We were the first with a clinical 3T (MRI) Florida.

We had a tank in one of our mr rooms and the fish didn't like the noise. They kept dieing. If it close you might want to consider some type of noise shielding. When the magnets perform different types of exams they can make some loud weird anoing noise. The noise really stressed the fish. I would love to see pics of there setup.

Funny I now am being trained on Linear Accelartors. What vendors are they using for there magnes and Accelaors?

This is one incredible build. Keep the PICS coming.

mrcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2007, 09:39 AM   #91
bshumake
Registered Member

Update:
A couple of us got together and mocked up the back panels of the tank. What we did was get them in the correct order and pick some nice rocks for mounting. Using a magic marker we traced the rocks position on the boards paper backing and worked out spaces for acrylic rods and zip ties for securing them down. Next I'm taking the panels to our acrylics shop for machining and peg mounting. Then its just positioning the panels in the tank and aquascaping. I'm working on geting some pics up to post.

Unread 10/01/2007, 01:11 PM   #92
erics3000
Registered Member

mxett- It was an interesting place to work to say the least. The stories I could say about the radiologist......But I will just keep it at that. Glad I could share a laugh.

bshumake - PICS would be great. I a going to be getting ready to do some aquascaping and want to use the fiberglass arrows from walmart. I am going to also use some foam around the overflows. i cant wait to see how you guys did yours.

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
erics3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2007, 03:36 PM   #93
mxett
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nauticac4

Guy what you doing is great. I can't wait to see it finished. Best of Luck!! I'm following along for the ride.
Thanks mrcrab for clearing that up.

Now before criticizing anothers "dumb" post and saying I should go back and read the post again, how about you take your own advise and do the same before posting your own ill informed post.

Eric , surely there is a medical radiology body in the US that would prohibit such irresponsible behavior.

Unread 10/01/2007, 06:17 PM   #94
mrcrab
Moved On

Us Aussies need to look out for each other mate!

mrcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2007, 10:48 PM   #95
iansilv
Premium Member

I can't believe they are turning an MRI in to an aquarium!

(joke)

Seriously- this is one of the coolest tanks on this forum.

iansilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2007, 07:43 AM   #96
James11
Registered Member

That tank is awesome and well thought out, great work. I'll be subscribing to this thread. I think for the first time I actually want to go to the hospital

James11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2007, 08:01 PM   #97
bshumake
Registered Member

Well folks, its about time I gave an update. We've been making slow progress on the project lately. Seems builders and designers don't get along sometimes and work slowed on the tank room.
IN the meantime we got together last weekend and mocked up the back panels. BJ, Larry and I laid out the acrylic panels in their order and cherry picked some nice rock pieces to use on the back panels.
Kind of a pain digging through 3 rock vats

Unread 10/10/2007, 08:05 PM   #98
bshumake
Registered Member

Once they were all laid out Larry and I got to sketching their placement out and figured where support pins and zip-ties would go.
The idea here is that 3/8" acrylic rods about 3" long will protrude at a 45 deg angle from the panels. We'll cement these in place after drilling a hole through some of the rock, with zip-ties for added support.
BJ had the lovely task of keeping us all organized and picking out the best rock... heck, she ordered us around all day!
Added some of the coral to the holding tank for now with more (tanks and coral) to come.

Unread 10/10/2007, 08:08 PM   #99
bshumake
Registered Member

On monday the aquarium made it into the St Jude Localine (our resident newspaper) on the front page. Since the tanks been kept under wraps till the unveiling there are no pictures. But, I get stopped in the hall's daily now with all sorts of questions. I'll get a pic of the article posted.
Course, I couldn't say enough about Scott's involvement. And that article has gotten me a speaking arrangement for the tour guides tomorrow. I'll be presenting on the tank and all its components and design up till now.

Unread 10/11/2007, 11:47 AM   #100
GMFett
Premium Member

Major kudos to everyone! St Judes is a great group of people and its so incredible to see reefers helping out!

love it!

marcus

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon- SPS/LPS: Deltec AP1003, Deltec FR 1016 (ROWAphos), Deltec PF601s (ROWAlith C+), Deltec**500s (ROWAkalk), Deltec FR509 (Carbon), 3 400 watt Lumenarc III's, Neptune Aquacontroller 2, 3 Tunze 6100 Streams, 2 Tunze Waveboxes
GMFett is offline   Reply With Quote