Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2007, 08:18 AM   #1
cimdxb2
Premium Member

Tank cycled?

Ok, I have been having Nitrate readings of zero for three weeks now. Last week I added some more LR and now 4 days later I am reading 10 on the nitrates. Nitrites are zero and PH is 8.2.

Everything else is in check.

I am starting to get green algea on the back wall of my BC29.

Thoughts? Kind of wish there was a sign that popped up that says "Your tank is now cycled!"

Dave

cimdxb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2007, 08:26 AM   #2
drjuice28
Registered Member

It's probably cycled, probably was for a couple of weeks if your ammonia and nitrite values were also 0 for that time. The LR you added may have had some debris that bumped your nitrate up, which is no big deal. Just check your nitrite and ammonia again, and do a water change to get the nitrate out of there!

Unread 03/14/2007, 08:49 AM   #3
sir_dudeguy
Registered Member

well whats your amonia been doing? Nitrates really dont have much to do w/the cycle other than the fact that they're usually the "end product" so to speak. You want to watch your amonia and nitrites for the cycle. Amonia would spike first, then as the bacteria that breaks it down begins to multiply, it starts going down and is broken into nitrites. Then the same thing happens for nitrites, and they're broken into nitrates. Nitrates can also be broken down once more, but i wont go into that.

But any time you add live rock, you could be creating a "mini-cycle" or spike, so i would advise getting all your rock at the beginning. I'm not saying you cant add more rock later....but you better make real sure that its already cured(cycled) so as not to cause a spike. Even if your fish store sells the stuff as "cured" it probably isnt as cured as you would hope.

Unread 03/14/2007, 09:58 AM   #4
cimdxb2
Premium Member

Well my Amonia and Nitrites have never been above zero (I test weekly). This is the first time I have gotten a reading on my Nitrates.

Maybe I missed the Amonia/or Nitrite spike? You are probably right on the mini-spike. I added 10 lbs initially then several people convinced me to add more LR. Which I did and now have a total of 25 lbs (added 15 more).

So now do the 1/3 water change? Or that was what the LFS told me to do. How much water change (and frequency) on a BC29 w/skimmer (not sure the skimmer matters on this ?

Dave

Unread 03/14/2007, 10:17 AM   #5
sir_dudeguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe I missed the Amonia/or Nitrite spike?
was the rock sold as cured? If so, maybe it just cleared up any spikes that it might have had before you tested?

Quote:
So now do the 1/3 water change?
eh...i never have done a water change right after a cycle. For some reason i never really have high nitrates after a cycle, so i just dont bother. Some people recommend it..i'm not saying they're wrong or anything, i'm just going by what my own experience w/it has been. But 10 nitrates really isnt that bad. I wouldnt let them get any higher tho, so maybe a small water change would do the trick. I would say only do like 5 gallons or so tops.

Quote:
How much water change (and frequency) on a BC29 w/skimmer (not sure the skimmer matters on this ?
first thing, yes...skimmers do play a part in how often you need to do water changes lots of times. What skimmer do you have? If its a good one, it should help considerably.

As far as how often and how much to change...what type of tank is it gonna be? I'm guessing it will be a reef tank since you bothered to pay extra to get a tank w/built in lighting? But will it be mostly soft corals or will you be trying to do some harder stuff?

For fish only tanks...you could go a really really long time w/out water changes. Nitrates dont hurt fish, and thats really all that would be accumulating over time. Not like there's any corals that need the calcium/trace elements out of the water, so you dont have to replace that.

If its a softy coral only tank, that might be a little different. But on my 40 breeder, i really dont do much to it and it runs perfectly fine. I do maybe one small water change per month, and i have lots of softies (mostly leathers) and a couple lps and sps. Everything seems fine, altho i am dosing that salifert "Trace Soft" stuff. Is it helping? Not sure lol, but i didnt pay for it so its all good . I do maybe 5 gallons every water change and its about 45g total (w/sump).

On yours, if you plan to do fish only...maybe 5g every month and a half? Probably longer tho since you've got a skimmer (i'm not running one even).

If you're doing softies only, i'd say do at least one 5g change per month. If you're finding you're having trouble w/nitrates tho, maybe every 2 weeks, or just try adding a fuge.

But if you wanna do some of the more difficult/less hardy stuff, then i'd say at least 5g every 2 weeks or every week even. But dont do big water changes. IMO 5g should be the most you change so you dont mess stuff up. On my tanks...i just let them go and monitor the levels. As long as everything stays well, i see no point in changing anything.

Unread 03/14/2007, 12:08 PM   #6
cimdxb2
Premium Member

The Rock was "cured", although it really sounds like that is up for debate

I like your idea on the 5 gallon change. I have a BC29, so that is about a 15% change. I also bought a 5-stage RO/DI unit, so time to have the thing start paying for itself!

I have the Saphire Skimmer. I guess it is good....I mean it collects stuff in it. Never had a skimmer before though, so don't have a reference.

I plan on this being a soft coral reef tank. Also don't mind the water changes (I have teenagers that need to do more work around the house!) So I think I am going to plan 5 gallons twice a month for the time being.

Thanks tons for the ideas/feedback! I will post picks on my tank thread once I get something worth posting!

Dave