Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Mark Nishimura
Registered Member

LED lighting or MH in a nano tank?

Does anybody out there have any experience with the JBJ 28 gallon reef tank with the LED light set-up? Does the LED work as advertised? Any experience appreciated.

Mark Nishimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2011, 09:21 PM   #2
carlosdaccach
Registered Member

i dont own one but at the store where i buy my animals there is one as display and the colors are much better than MH. they have it full with australian lps and the colors are amazing.

carlosdaccach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2011, 01:14 AM   #3
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

I did my own led setup and I am happy with it. The biggest draw in a nano is heat. With LEDs you can get away with fans for cooling depending on the ambient room temperatures. With the halides you will almost certainly need a chiller.

Unread 10/03/2011, 07:43 AM   #4
rovster
Registered Member

Defintely LED because of heat issues. That small tank will heat up quickly, unless you compensate for that with chiller, external fans, etc. The JBJ 28 LED does look sweet!

rovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Another vote for LED's. MH will definitely need some type of cooling, whether it's a chiller or fans. I have 250W of MH obver my 30g cube and if I don't turn on the fan, the temp will rise as much as 6 degrees.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2011, 07:53 AM   #6
DustinB
Registered Member

Be sure and check out an LED setup in person. I've done 2 different setups and I absolutely hate the look.

DustinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2011, 08:29 AM   #7
firebirdude
User and Abuser

Used LEDs inside the hood of my 29g Biocube, then a hanging MH running open top. I kid you not, the LEDs in a closed hood ran cooler. In fact, when the fans in the hood kicked on with the LEDs, I'd actually LOSE .5-1 degree. Yes. My tank ran hottest at night. lol

firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2011, 01:31 PM   #8
carlosdaccach
Registered Member

does anyone know if a tank with LEDs will get more glare on the glass than a tank with MH when there is to much external light?

carlosdaccach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2011, 03:40 PM   #9
michaelr
Young Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Another vote for LED's. MH will definitely need some type of cooling, whether it's a chiller or fans. I have 250W of MH obver my 30g cube and if I don't turn on the fan, the temp will rise as much as 6 degrees.
Ehh i dont know i have never had a problem with my coralife aqualight pro (it has 250 watt MH) heating up. Granted i do have a bigger tank

Current Tank Info: 55 long and 28 gallon biocube
michaelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2012, 08:25 PM   #10
jwolcott
Registered Member

Nanos usually have a hood, and heat and hoods don't work. If it was me I'd buy a less expensive tube lite tank and install an ai sol led. Or better yet chuck the hood altogether.
Good luck

jwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Kip Hodges
Premium Member

I threw an el-cheapo aquatraders led fixture into my 14g, it does have an annoying blue light in the center, but it was cheap fast and easy until I can figure out how to add 2 or 3 LEDs to wash out the blue. I'm keeping it.

Kip Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Ruffoj926
Registered Member

There is simply no reason to use metal halides in 2012. You'd be running your air conditioning all the time.

Ruffoj926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 03:04 PM   #13
jimmy frag
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffoj926 View Post
There is simply no reason to use metal halides in 2012. You'd be running your air conditioning all the time.
its all about preferance isnt it, not what "you" prefer

jimmy frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 03:23 PM   #14
frogmaster421
Registered Member

i heard that theyre crap

frogmaster421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 03:33 PM   #15
coralsnaked
Registered Member

Well I have 4 JBJ 28 tanks and I run CF in all of them w/ additional 20watts of LED giving me a total of 125 watts in 25 net tank gallons. (The back of the tank is not covered or lighted and contains 3 gallons) Net lumens is 5 per gallon and you can grow anything in there. I choose CF because regardless of LED or not I am going to have heat problems in S. Texas where my home sometimes is 85+ degrees while I am out. Therefore I put the additional $400 costs in the chiller and the end result is the same in intial output. The 20 watt LEDs I've added gives me the visual look I go for and the little extra boost in lumens for SPS. Now i do have to change bulbs every 9 months a $35 cost. I would stay away from the JBJ LED Intermediate as the wattage is too low for many corals. On the other hand the Pro has the needed wattage and comes with a dimmer. The look of LED color on many illuminating corals is vibrant, however the color spectrum of MH will bring out better color on non illuminating corals. So like everything else preference should be dictated by stocking list. Oh yea and many fish illuminate better under LED as well.

PS no glare on glass from LED either.

Happy Reefing

coralsnaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 03:59 PM   #16
jimmy frag
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsnaked View Post
Well I have 4 JBJ 28 tanks and I run CF in all of them w/ additional 20watts of LED giving me a total of 125 watts in 25 net tank gallons. (The back of the tank is not covered or lighted and contains 3 gallons) Net lumens is 5 per gallon and you can grow anything in there. I choose CF because regardless of LED or not I am going to have heat problems in S. Texas where my home sometimes is 85+ degrees while I am out. Therefore I put the additional $400 costs in the chiller and the end result is the same in intial output. The 20 watt LEDs I've added gives me the visual look I go for and the little extra boost in lumens for SPS. Now i do have to change bulbs every 9 months a $35 cost. I would stay away from the JBJ LED Intermediate as the wattage is too low for many corals. On the other hand the Pro has the needed wattage and comes with a dimmer. The look of LED color on many illuminating corals is vibrant, however the color spectrum of MH will bring out better color on non illuminating corals. So like everything else preference should be dictated by stocking list. Oh yea and many fish illuminate better under LED as well.

PS no glare on glass from LED either.

Happy Reefing
imglad you are happy with your choice of lighting and happy to hear they work well with your set up

Unread 10/01/2012, 04:01 PM   #17
jimmy frag
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmaster421 View Post
i heard that theyre crap
its all about preferance, MH, LED, and T5 are all great. sume manufacturers are better than others.

Unread 10/10/2012, 01:32 AM   #18
Ruffoj926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy frag View Post
its all about preferance isnt it, not what "you" prefer
Preference does not really play a role in the comparison.

Metal halide:
Excellent quality of light
High power
High heat
Bulbs need replacing

LED:

Ruffoj926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2012, 02:27 AM   #19
twilmot
Registered Member

LED for sure. Heat was big for me when I put LED's on my Nano, Plus on that size tank you won't break the bank on either going the DIY method of LED's or buying a LED unit. I won't get into the arugment on which one is a better light source but, LED- no replacement bulbs for a long time, less power used, and less heat. I still have a scar from where I burned my arm on a MH light bulb at work, crap is hot....

twilmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2012, 06:46 AM   #20
jimmy frag
Registered Member

Quote:
Preference does not really play a role in the comparison.

Metal halide:
High power
High heat
Bulbs need replacing

LED:
..............Preference does play a role in it, I have mine and you have yours

Unread 10/10/2012, 07:24 AM   #21
C4rN4gE
Registered Member

Sanjay made the comment at MACNA that it was cheaper to buy an LED setup for 2-3 years, and then replace it with whatever is available then, than to go MH and have to replace bulbs.

C4rN4gE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2012, 07:28 AM   #22
yogoshio
Registered Member

This Sanjay is right. Between energy savings and bulb replacement, LED is cheaper. On another forum a member actually pulled his energy bills and did a yearly comparison and saved about $250 a year from 2 250 watt halides to two Radions. Over the course of three years, energy savings alone is $650, and that doesn't include the savings from not replacing halide bulbs every 6 months.

yogoshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2012, 08:08 AM   #23
SaltyWenStirred
Registered Member

I have LEDs. I like the look of MH's better. That's what they have in my LFS. However, I didn't want the heat issue. Ultimately, you have to decide what is most important to you.

Nikon D90 35mm
SaltyWenStirred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2012, 11:39 AM   #24
freeswimmingfis
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have first hand knowledge and experience using both LED and MH?
I have been in this hobby for almost 20 years, I have seen lots of changes but, MH is not some antiquated system. It is the tried and true method for lighting.
Yes, MH do put out heat. Yes, the bulbs have to be replaced about once a year.
I have 2 250 watt 20000k Radiums and 2 VHO Super Actinics over my 156g tank. Old school or successful? Look at the pic of my tank and decide for yourself.
Yes I run a chiller, and fans in my canopy. I will not be changing to LED any time soon. IMHO, LED is just not there YET. I do think that LED will (could) be the lighting choice in the near future, but not yet. If it was, then there would not be so many changes, updates and "new" color options.

Now, if I had a smaller tank, like the OP JBJ 28g, I doubt if I would put a MH over it. I would prob use a DIY LED, and try to get the combo of LED's as close to 20000k as I could.

BUT, there is no reason for you to say that "There is simply no reason to use metal halides in 2012"

Unread 10/10/2012, 11:44 AM   #25
freeswimmingfis
Registered Member

To the OP, sorry bout the rant.
A properly designed LED would be fine for your tank.

Tags
jbj, jbj nano, led, lighting, nano tank