Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/07/2017, 12:47 PM   #1151
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Pick a bulb that needs no supplementation and forget about the tubes. 20K Radium needs no supplementation.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2017, 05:51 PM   #1152
Yonp11
Registered Member

Just got my MH, is it normal for the ballast to be this loud?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5oGLwonvwM

It's a Hamilton M80, powering a Radium 20k

Yonp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2017, 05:52 PM   #1153
Bpb
Registered Member

That's not normal. My m80s were each 100% silent. Zero hum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2017, 10:00 AM   #1154
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

I had a Hamilton M80 that the case vibrated on, I had to shim it apart to stop it, it wasn't as bad as that. I would send the ballast to Hamilton and have them check it out.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2017, 11:07 PM   #1155
jvmesle
Registered Member

Hi, new reefer here. I was given a metal halide and compact fluorescent hybrid fixture from my cousin who used to have a reef. I don't need to replace the mh bulb anytime soon but in case I do, I was wondering what wattage size I would get? My cousin moved away so I can't ask him. I measured the mh bulb from outside of the glass casing and it seems to be about 7 inches. Is this a 150W or 250 W bulb?

jvmesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2017, 10:41 AM   #1156
Robert Hoeck
Registered Member

Have a look at the ballast. It should be stamped with the wattage.

Robert Hoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2017, 11:05 AM   #1157
midnightmadman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Pick a bulb that needs no supplementation and forget about the tubes. 20K Radium needs no supplementation.
Do you have a pictures of how this bulb looks on the tank?

midnightmadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 12:30 AM   #1158
Ben.91
Registered Member

So I found a brand new unopened aquaticlife r7s hid 48in fixture which is 2 x 150 watt MH and 4 x 54 watt t5s for 600 bucks. I'm a "new school" reefer and have only had expertise with Ai prime and the 52 hds. It's going in a canopy over a 90 gallon 48x18x28 tank. I have a few questions:

1. Is it worth it?
2. Will I need a chiller for 150 watt halides?
3. Has anyone had any experience with this fixture or something similar.
4. Can you put a 175 watt bulb in this fixture?

Last edited by Ben.91; 04/20/2017 at 12:57 AM.
Ben.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 06:08 AM   #1159
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

1. I wouldn't pay that much for it, even for new old stock, it wasn't an expensive light.

2. Pretty unlikely, unless your tank is in a small enclosed space that doesn't get much ventilation.

3. I have seen them, never wanted one. They are a lower middle end fixture, not bad but not great either. It will work fine for your tank.

4. No

I would ditch the canopy if you do it, the canopy will hold in heat unless it is an open top canopy or very well ventilated. It isn't a bad looking fixture.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Unread 04/20/2017, 08:33 AM   #1160
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

That is not a good fixture, IMO. I think that the ballasts were electronic, when they should be M81 to drive the bulbs to their optimal potential.

Fans can keep my MH cool. It is funny how people who want to make them work have near zero heat problems and people who don't want them to work say that the problem is unmanageable.

AquaMedic fixtures are high end. Look for one of these. They should be in the 100-300 range. You could also call Hamilton - they have good stuff that will work well in a canopy.

You need to use the bulbs rated for the fixture. 150W are double ended. 175W are single ended. They would not even fit anyway, but if they did and they were wrong, it could be a big issue.

Unread 04/24/2017, 11:54 AM   #1161
midnightmadman
Registered Member

I found a seller with some decent priced bulbs that look to be german made with that black area above the screw in base. I am hoping someone on here has these and could identify them for sure with the stamp. He says they say SLC MH175/U 10000K USA on them. Here is the link.. can anyone help?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/175W-Metal-H...wvdQEk9qX7MRUQ

Unread 05/19/2017, 06:47 AM   #1162
biglurr54
Registered Member

I’m looking for a little guidance on a build I’m doing.* The tank is a Red Sea Reefer 525XL.* 59” long x 22.6” wide x 22” high.* My plan is to do a halide system with RB led supplement.* My plan is 2 150 HQI 10k bulbs in Helios’ reflectors.* The Halides will run of m81 ballasts.* The supplemental leds will be 10 luxeon RB running at 1000ma and 3 Semileds Hyperviolet 3.0 running at 700ma per halide.* This will make a total system of 30 RB leds and 9 hyper violet leds.*

I am will be keeping sps, lps and a clam.* I am going with a 150w halide over 250 because of heat issues.* I don’t want to have to run a chiller and the 150 will put off much less heat.* I feel like an M81 ballast vs a 250 electronic ballast will be pretty close in comparison minus the heat output.*

Could I get away with only 2 halides?* I currently have on 150 halide on an m81 ballast with a Helios reflector on a 60 (24x24x24) cube and the leds are turned down to 50%.* The light grows coral like mad and has great color.* I don’t have dead spots or extreme hot spots.* The light seems to fall off quickly outside of the tank which makes me believe I may end up with dark spots on the ends (I’m ok with this) and in the middle (I’m not ok with this) on a 59inch tank.

Are there any electronic ballasts that can match up with the M81 ballast?* I am also considering a Lumen Bright Mini reflectors.* Anyone use both the Helios and lumenbright mini.* I am worried that the mini might throw the light around too much, including out of the tank. I might have to pick up a lumen bright mini and experiment on the 60 gallon.*

Critique my design, give me your opinion, let me have it!**

Here's my current light.

biglurr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 08:01 AM   #1163
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglurr54 View Post
I’m looking for a little guidance on a build I’m doing.* The tank is a Red Sea Reefer 525XL.* 59” long x 22.6” wide x 22” high.* My plan is to do a halide system with RB led supplement.* My plan is 2 150 HQI 10k bulbs in Helios’ reflectors.* The Halides will run of m81 ballasts.* The supplemental leds will be 10 luxeon RB running at 1000ma and 3 Semileds Hyperviolet 3.0 running at 700ma per halide.* This will make a total system of 30 RB leds and 9 hyper violet

The 10k 150's will be more than enough light.

I am will be keeping sps, lps and a clam.* I am going with a 150w halide over 250 because of heat issues.* I don’t want to have to run a chiller and the 150 will put off much less heat.* I feel like an M81 ballast vs a 250 electronic ballast will be pretty close in comparison minus the heat output.*

Could I get away with only 2 halides?* I currently have on 150 halide on an m81 ballast with a Helios reflector on a 60 (24x24x24) cube and the leds are turned down to 50%.* The light grows coral like mad and has great color.* I don’t have dead spots or extreme hot spots.* The light seems to fall off quickly outside of the tank which makes me believe I may end up with dark spots on the ends (I’m ok with this) and in the middle (I’m not ok with this) on a 59inch tank.

Are there any electronic ballasts that can match up with the M81 ballast?* I am also considering a Lumen Bright Mini reflectors.* Anyone use both the Helios and lumenbright mini.* I am worried that the mini might throw the light around too much, including out of the tank. I might have to pick up a lumen bright mini and experiment on the 60 gallon.*

* both of your reflectors are a spotlight design. The Helios is less of a spotlight than the LumenBrite, but trying to cover 59" with two of either is asking more than they will be able to do. There are no electronic ballasts that match up to the M81. If it were me, I would get in touch with Hamilton and see what he has that will work without being a spotlight. The old LumenArc III Mini did decent at 30" in my testing and Hamilton used to have one that matched up to it.

Critique my design, give me your opinion, let me have it!**

Unread 05/19/2017, 08:07 AM   #1164
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Covering 5 feet with 2 halides is OK, but you will have darker spots on the ends. This is no big deal as long as you plan for it. Your current no-spill is because you have the light a few inches off of the water - for more spread, you will need to raise it up a bit.

I agree - get another M81. There is no substitute. Hamilton will have them. Their Cayman Sun fixture will spread the light pretty well.

Here is the great thing about your plan... if you want to add another MH fixture later, then no problem.

Unread 05/19/2017, 09:51 AM   #1165
biglurr54
Registered Member

Yea I like the ability to just add one later if needed. And not break the bank to add one. I think three would be nice but almost a bit overkill. The m81 ballast seem to be making a come back. They can be had here and there. Not aquarium use one's but warehouse one's. I'm pretty sure m81 is m81 regardless of who makes it right. It's a standard the ballast has to meet.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

biglurr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 09:57 AM   #1166
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Correct but you have to be careful, some ballasts are marked as equivalent when they are not. Current used to use a different ballast, I forget what it actually was, it was magnetic as well, but not a true M81. Hamilton still has the correct ballast.

Unread 05/19/2017, 10:02 AM   #1167
karimwassef
Registered Member

I run 1200W of double ended HQI 14000K for 16 hours a day. 3 x 400W Hamilton bulbs in a Cayman.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 01:05 PM   #1168
bdsage
Registered Member

I use A select-a-watt ballast and run A 150w phoenix bulb on the 175w setting. Does this shorten the life of the bulb?

Current Tank Info: 40b. sps, Metal Halide,big skimmer,lots of flow, barebottom, natural seawater.
bdsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 11:07 AM   #1169
bdsage
Registered Member

surely someone has tried this and can give me some feedback...

Current Tank Info: 40b. sps, Metal Halide,big skimmer,lots of flow, barebottom, natural seawater.
Unread 05/22/2017, 11:11 AM   #1170
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

It can, I ran 150's for several years on ARO 175 watt ballasts. The bulb sometimes turns black quicker than you might expect. Paul Erick commented on doing this once but I cannot remember what he stated. It is searchable but I can't do that very easily on my iPad.

It is always better to run the proper ballast for the bulb you are using.

Unread 05/22/2017, 11:22 AM   #1171
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

I found it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...4#post20631464

Unread 05/22/2017, 01:49 PM   #1172
bdsage
Registered Member

Thanks Jack. I've been experimenting with Radium and now Phoenix... I'm aware that m81,m80 are preferred in most cases concerning 150w,250w phoenix and radium. In fact the radium 250w will fire on the 175 setting (very dim). The thing is m81 fires the 150w radium at 172w so in theory it should run about the same on the 175w electronic ballast setting with the same life span because both are over driving the bulb...any thoughts on doing this with phoenix 150w...?

Unread 05/22/2017, 02:00 PM   #1173
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

The old 150 Watt Radium has a 160 watt min wattage and the new 150 Radium was 149 IIRC. I have no idea on the Phoenix but suspect it is also near the 160 watt min. as this is spec. The 175 will overdrive it, but I cannot say exactly how long it takes for the bulbs to degrade beyond what the M81 would do. I did run a variety of 150's off the 175 ARO but typically changed bulbs between 12 and 14 months. I cannot say how much the 150's efffected PAR but I am sure it raised initially and dropped off sooner. I can say with the 175 on Ushio 10k's it was a smoking hot bulb and ballast combination in LumenArc III Mini's. I grew clams and SPS on the sand bed of my old 125.

I won't tell you not to run the 175, just accept that the bulbs are not being driven corrrectly and longevity and coloration may be an issue.

Unread 05/26/2017, 08:48 AM   #1174
midnightmadman
Registered Member

Techinical question. I have a Dual 175 watt coralvue MH ballast. When I let it turn on lighting both bulbs the bulbs burn much 'pinker/yellow' but if I let it fire with only one bulb plugged in the bulb will burn bluer/crisp white. I've tried it with different bulbs and its the same result. I would like it to fire both bulbs the correct blue/crisp white but seems impossible to do.
Anyone know why it would do this?

Last edited by midnightmadman; 05/26/2017 at 09:04 AM.
Unread 05/26/2017, 08:58 AM   #1175
karimwassef
Registered Member

It can probably drive one bulb at a higher voltage/power than when running two. Use a dedicated ballast for each.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote