Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2012, 06:54 PM   #26
MBIETZ
Registered Member

O and i forgot to mention your clam is sweet I like how it looks fat the color is awesome as well.

MBIETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2012, 07:35 PM   #27
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBIETZ View Post
MY bulbs are only 6" above the tank so 30" from bulbs to the bottom of the tank but air really dosent take away a lot of par also why do you have your lights so high off the tank?
The clam expelling zooxanthellae could be from the addition of the LEDs clams will bleach just like coral when to much light is added.
I raised my lights when I changed to new bulbs after about nine months. Then I read a TOTM thread where the aquarium owner uses the same fixture/bulbs and has his about 36" from the bottom of his tank. So, I guess I was trying to emulate that. I have been pondering slowly lowering the lights a few inches, though.

I shut off the LED fixture after about 4 hours today. I'm trying to ramp it up slowly, hope I do it right. I actually like the effect it gives in the tank, so I'll try to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBIETZ View Post
O and i forgot to mention your clam is sweet I like how it looks fat the color is awesome as well.
I think it is a healthy clam. I'll do my best to give it a good home. Thanks!

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 07:03 PM   #28
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Got home today and found my clam top-down on the bottom of the tank (barebottom). Quickly reached in and put him back. I see no signs of injury, and I've heard they close as they fall (if they ever do).

I'm thinking of just placing it on the bottom of the tank now. Upright, that is!

Unread 04/14/2012, 07:45 PM   #29
jcw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
Got home today and found my clam top-down on the bottom of the tank (barebottom). Quickly reached in and put him back. I see no signs of injury, and I've heard they close as they fall (if they ever do).

I'm thinking of just placing it on the bottom of the tank now. Upright, that is!
I would. My clam is most enjoyable when I don't have to keep worrying about it jumping.

-eznet2u

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, custom 30g sump, ATB elegance, eheim 1260, mp40 (too many failed wetsides), gyre 150 (love it)
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2012, 06:16 AM   #30
moliken
Registered Member

np in falling. make sure it does stay upright in bb tank

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2012, 07:53 AM   #31
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw View Post
I would. My clam is most enjoyable when I don't have to keep worrying about it jumping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moliken View Post
np in falling. make sure it does stay upright in bb tank
Ok, thanks. If it has a problem staying upright down bottom (ie from tang picking at shell), I'll find a flat piece of rock on which to place it down there.

Unread 04/15/2012, 08:21 AM   #32
sneaton
Moved On

ive had a 1-2 inch maxima on the sandbed of a 75 gallon for over a year.....im using t5 retrofit into a canopy (6 bulbs)....i think your fixture is fine

sneaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2012, 05:15 PM   #33
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaton View Post
ive had a 1-2 inch maxima on the sandbed of a 75 gallon for over a year.....im using t5 retrofit into a canopy (6 bulbs)....i think your fixture is fine
Good to hear - thanks! You are doing well with a small clam! Pics?

Unread 04/15/2012, 05:16 PM   #34
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Clam seems eager for light, down on the glass. LED is spotlighting it, in this picture:

Unread 04/15/2012, 05:26 PM   #35
sneaton
Moved On

clam print.jpg
Quote:
Good to hear - thanks! You are doing well with a small clam! Pics?
here it is a year ago

Unread 04/15/2012, 06:24 PM   #36
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Attachment 185666

here it is a year ago
Very nice clam!

Unread 04/15/2012, 10:52 PM   #37
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Lol, now the clam keeps occasionally snapping shut and rolling over on its side - mostly to just a 45 degree angle, fortunately. Makes a disconcerting noise on the glass. If this behavior doesn't stop, I may have to put it back up into the crevice in the rocks where I originally put it the day I brought it home. Not ideal, but I have no other ideas.

Unread 04/18/2012, 08:01 AM   #38
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Here's the clam yesterday evening. I am noticing a slightly lighter color that is hard to capture in the photos without overexposing. I also thought I saw another tiny strand of zooxanthellae being released.

It's back up on the rocks, with good mantle extension, but no way to grab with its foot. I cut the LED light (27" away) back down to 4 hours just now, instead of 8. Should I be concerned about bleaching?

Unread 04/18/2012, 08:27 PM   #39
iwishtofish
Registered Member

OK, here here's this clam...

...and he's a bit unhappy because he keeps getting moved around, and just isn't allowed to settle in. Now he's in a spot where he's wedged in a depression in the rocks, and he can't open his shell quite enough to be satisfied with that. What, therefore, does he do? He PUSHES, and slides one whole opposing pile of rock that is sitting on eggcrate on the bottom of the tank.

Bad photo, with barrel distortion from the lens, but you can still see that the edge of the eggcrate is no longer parallel to the edge of the tank:

I moved (grrrrrr) the clam back down to the bottom, put a piece of rock next to him to make it harder for him to lay on his side, and slid the rock around a little bit (it took a bit of effort).

A 5.8 magnitude earthquake couldn't even do what this clam did, lol.

Unread 04/19/2012, 08:46 PM   #40
iwishtofish
Registered Member

moliken, I hope you stop back by...now that the clam has pretty much forced its way down to the bottom, I'm a bit concerned that it won't do well long-term on a surface where it cannot attach (the glass). It has stopped jumping around quite as much, I think. Will lack of attachment be a real problem?

Unread 04/20/2012, 05:05 AM   #41
moliken
Registered Member

Quote:
moliken, I hope you stop back by...now that the clam has pretty much forced its way down to the bottom, I'm a bit concerned that it won't do well long-term on a surface where it cannot attach (the glass). It has stopped jumping around quite as much, I think. Will lack of attachment be a real problem?
clam can cert'ly attach to the bottom. np. for me, i'd place some small, 1/2", rocks around it. maybe it'll grab onto those. then moving is easier. if he gets enough light on bottom, no probs. i have a few unattached little clams.

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
Unread 04/20/2012, 08:42 AM   #42
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
clam can cert'ly attach to the bottom. np. for me, i'd place some small, 1/2", rocks around it. maybe it'll grab onto those. then moving is easier. if he gets enough light on bottom, no probs. i have a few unattached little clams.
OK, great - he's stopped hopping quite as much. I'll make sure he gets enough light!

Unread 04/20/2012, 09:19 AM   #43
sneaton
Moved On

my clam has never really attched itself where its fixed....maybe thats because its small....dont worry about attaching if its open and looks happy....i freaked out about my clam for a while,but now i realize its one of the hardy pieces in my tank.....i looks sweet and seems healthy so just relax and enjoy

Unread 04/20/2012, 09:23 AM   #44
sneaton
Moved On

also it can be placed anywhere in the tank....you have enough lighting dont worry about spot lighting

Unread 04/20/2012, 09:23 AM   #45
sneaton
Moved On

your cal,alk,mag levels are more important....keep them stable

Unread 04/20/2012, 07:46 PM   #46
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
my clam has never really attched itself where its fixed....maybe thats because its small....dont worry about attaching if its open and looks happy....i freaked out about my clam for a while,but now i realize its one of the hardy pieces in my tank.....i looks sweet and seems healthy so just relax and enjoy

also it can be placed anywhere in the tank....you have enough lighting dont worry about spot lighting

your cal,alk,mag levels are more important....keep them stable
Thanks for the comments and advice, sneaton.

I'm doing pretty well keeping my levels good now, although testing daily is a PITA!

Do you have any idea what this is, in the middle of the picture? It seems stationary...has these two antennae...

Unread 04/21/2012, 12:23 PM   #47
moliken
Registered Member

that's an odd thing fr sure. details??

Unread 04/26/2012, 03:32 PM   #48
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
that's an odd thing fr sure. details??
Sorry to miss your post. I've received suggestions that it's a type of vermetid snail. Seems there are more than one, and they are putting out mucus strands. The "snail" can extend out a bit, or retract completely.

This darn clam is hopping all over the bottom of my tank. It now likes to move closer to the rocks, so that the mantle contacts them and there is increased risk of a hermit failling into it.

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:24 PM   #49
blueavatar
Registered Member

I would like to know how much you paid for this clam ? Is this giant clam ?

blueavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 11:47 PM   #50
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueavatar View Post
I would like to know how much you paid for this clam ? Is this giant clam ?
I paid $100. I got a good price, I think, because I was on an organized club trip to the vendor's facility. Could be wrong about that, though.

I don't know enough about clams to tell you if it's considered a giant clam. This one is between 5 and 6 inches long; I have no idea how big they can get.