Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2007, 11:35 AM   #1
oharaell
Premium Member

To catch a Powder Blue

OK... It just aint happening...

My PB has a horrible case of ich. Well, it looks horrible anyway. He's eating fine and doesn't seem to mind it too much. But the ich has killed 2 of my Black Saddle Backs, and I've gotta get him into my quarenteen tank. I just CAN NOT catch the quick little sucker!

Any ideas? Short of breaking down my tanks?

I'm actually thinking I'm gunna quarenteen him for like 6 weeks, get rid of the ich, and take him back to my LFS.

Reading about them makes me feel guilty for having him in my 36x18x24 70 gal. I just didn't do my research before I got him.

oharaell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2007, 11:41 AM   #2
J. Montgomery
Mouth Pipetting

If you're going to QT one fish for ich, then you need to QT all of your fish and treat them with copper-based medication. Otherwise, theres no real point.

When the normal fish traps don't work, I hear fishing with a hook (with barb cut off) works pretty well, though I've never tried any methods myself.

Unread 05/14/2007, 12:00 PM   #3
oharaell
Premium Member

OUCH!

I mean, he'd heal ok?

Has anyone else tried this? Seems a bit cruel, but I mean, if it makes just a little "boo-boo", and he heals fine, and I can get rid of his ich and maybe get him in a bigger tank it might be worth it...

What does everyone think about this?

About QTing the whole tank...
I understand why you'd do it. I've read and read about the ich life cycle. However, none of my other fish seem to have any problem. The PB has had ich for over 2 months now.
Health seems fine, fat as ever and will just about eat out of my hand (but too quick for me to grab him). Plus, I've got a spotted Rabbit fish in there, and I'd rather not be trying to hand catch fish with him running around.

Anyway, the ich issue is mainly cosmetic. None of my other fish seem to come down with it, and the PB has had it for at least 2 ich cycles...

Unread 05/14/2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Drifter9
Registered Member

I've had to catch my Purple Tang a couple of times when I moved to my new house and then again when I moved the tank to another room. I took most of my live rock out or at least put it on the bottom of the tank, then I used a large zip lock "big bag" and hearded him in there. Those bags are massive and it worked very well. He swims in and kind of wedges himself in the folds of the bag, thinking he's hiding. You may catch a few other fish when doing this but I was trying to catch them all so it didn't bother me too much when my clown came along for the ride.

Drifter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2007, 02:39 PM   #5
oharaell
Premium Member

interesting idea! Thanks.. I'll give that a shot!

Unread 05/14/2007, 03:24 PM   #6
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Normal fish traps will work. You just have to be patient and feed the fish in the trap every day. Eventually they will go in.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2007, 04:41 PM   #7
carnavor
Moved On

if you have a reef tank, just use kill ick its reef safe takes about a week of treatments. make sure you remove carbon and turn off skimmer.
stuff work great. thatpetplace.com and marinedepot.co have the stuff.

GOOD LUCK

carnavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2007, 05:07 PM   #8
oharaell
Premium Member

Marine Depot has some rough reviews about it-- BUT
3 of the 5 are the same guy...
I wish MD would fix that!

Unread 05/14/2007, 09:05 PM   #9
anjhof
Registered Member

get a nice u/v sterilizer and some cleaner shrimp.
but, if you want to get him out anyways, do what it takes - i had to catch one a couple of times - only way was to take out all the rock and most of the water.
Use 2 nets!

anjhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2007, 08:16 AM   #10
oharaell
Premium Member

Just bought the Coralife 18W... Got a cleaner that the PB sometime lets work on him...

I'll let everyone know how it goes. I think I'm gunna plumb up the uv and let that run for a couple weeks and see if it helps.

Unread 05/15/2007, 08:32 AM   #11
andrewsmart
Registered Member

those are really just cosmetic measures might help to some extent. but will not cure the problem.

if you want rid of ich i would get all your fish out and treat them leaving the display empty for 8 weeks.

i would use hypo to treat them. see www.marineaquariumadvice.com.

in the library under news from the waterfront.

Current Tank Info: FOWLR
andrewsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2007, 03:00 PM   #12
anjhof
Registered Member

From personal experience:
I had an ich outbreak in my tank. The steps I performed were:
1. Bought a Coralife turbo twist UV
2. Bought a cleaner shrimp
3. Soaked their food in fresh garlic juice for about a week or two.

My ich went away - that was nearly 3 years ago. I did not lose a fish and have never seen it come back.
Every few weeks someone on this site posts something about their fish getting ich. Different people propose different solutions. Many people say that UV and shrimp and garlic don't work. I am here to tell you what worked for me. I am 100% convinced this worked - I have 7 happy fish to prove me correct. Ich did not disappear on its own -I am not that lucky : )
- it went away because of the steps I took.
There are multiple solutions to most problems - and this is true in this case too. Give it a try and share your results.
Just be careful you don't have large temperature swings. A sudden chill seems to trigger PBT's coming down with ich very easily.

Unread 05/15/2007, 03:32 PM   #13
oharaell
Premium Member

Well-- UV is on the way, and I've been garlic soaking for about a month now...

I'll see how the UV works...

Unread 05/15/2007, 03:53 PM   #14
joeychitwood
Schrödinger's Mod

Whatever method you use, try not to stress the fish too much. It's already under stress from the Ich.

I've caught fish with a tiny trout hook in the past when netting, trapping or other methods failed. It's relatively low stress to the fish, and the mouth heals in days.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2007, 09:50 AM   #15
oharaell
Premium Member

UPDATE
used a simple fish trap from the LFS. Had to leave it in water overnight, then caught him the next morning with some Garlic soaked Nori.

He's in QT now. Set water temp to a constant 84 (recommendation from another customer at LFS) and dosing water with Metronidazole.

No visible signs of ICH at all, in fact it seemed to leave in the first day!

I'm gunna leave him in QT for at least another 2 weeks though. He seems quite content in there. I took a little plastic paint tray (unused of course) and cut a whole in it. He thinks it's his little castle! Eating the heck out of Nori when I add it, and I give him a little of the food I give the rest of the aquarium

My UV should arrive today, and I'll plumb that up on the display to get any ich left in the water column.

I think I might actually beat this ich yet!

So, now the question is... Do I keep the PB? Or take him back to the LFS?

I've got a 36x18x25 (70 some gal)...

Unread 05/21/2007, 10:35 AM   #16
Michelle L
Registered Member

I would return him. PBT's are notorious for getting ich when they are stressed, and in a 70 gallon tank he will be stressed because they need a lot of room to swim. You will most likely battle ich on and off the whole time that you have him.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gal. Reef; 50 Gal. sump/fuge; Aqua-Medic T5000 Shorty Skimmer; 3 Aqua-Medic 400 Watt Ocean Light Mogul MH 18" Pendants; and 2 Tunze 6100's
Michelle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2007, 10:38 AM   #17
oharaell
Premium Member

That's the way I'm leaning...

How about getting a small hippo?

Unread 05/21/2007, 10:45 AM   #18
techreef
Registered Member

hippos are called hippos for a reason; they get really big! they grow up to 12" long. i think the only tangs that would never be stressed in a 70G tank would be the bristletooth Tomini and the Kole tangs. Good luck. It's great that you're considering your fish's health here, not just what you want in your tank.

techreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2007, 06:26 PM   #19
t5Nitro
Registered Member

Hippos are ich magnets too. Just treat make sure he keeps eating and the ich should go away. I was also told to raise the temperature in the tank as that will kill the cell membrane of ich, maybe the 84 degrees cured it.

Current Tank Info: Left the hobby, looking to re-enter in the future
t5Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2007, 08:24 PM   #20
oharaell
Premium Member

Yeah, once I QTed him, I raised the QT tank to 84 it seemed to leave the next day.

Unread 05/21/2007, 11:59 PM   #21
oct2274
Registered Member

just because you don't see ich doesn't mean it isn't there, it can lay dormant for upto 4 weeks and go wild. Seen fish that look great for two weeks in QT and then be totally infested all of a sudden. If you really love your fish leave it in qt for 4 weeks after the last sign of ich. If in that time all is good, than think about getting the water matched up with the display very slowly. Personally i find that hypo treatment works best with tangs and you do not need to run the temperature that high. I find hypo and temperature of 80 to work great. Make sure to check ph in qt cause it is very important!

oct2274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2007, 08:41 AM   #22
anjhof
Registered Member

I would do more research on ich not surviving in water over 84 degrees. From what I recall, the life cycle of ich is sped up in warmer water. This is the reason why ich medicine tells you to increase the water temperature.
The ich is only vulnerable to medicine when it is free floating in the water. The life cycle of ich consists of eggs- then they hatch and are in the water column, then they attach to a fish.
The medicine can only kill them while they are in the water. Like I said, try to do more research on this, but I believe what I said is true. If not, please let me know what you find.