Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2018, 08:34 PM   #1
shankpa
Registered Member

Red_sea_no3_po4x

A blessed evening, high unto the almighty, that which is his salty greatness. Soooo, 80gallons of salt water, mixed reef, mostly lps. Tons of fish(want my cake and eat it too),. 20ppm NO3, almost undetectable PO4,

Was dosing NO3,PO4X for one month, no luck. Thinking it was because of UV sterilizer, but apparently it can be used concurrently. Now, I'm thinking its because I was dosing in increments. Now, will dose ALL 9ml at 2200. Thoughts? I love you guys.

shankpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 09:19 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I might try stopping the UV sterilizer for a bit, but it's possible that it is not the cause of the problems. We don't know all that much about how carbon dosing actually works, but it's very likely that the bacteria live on surfaces in the tank, and thus the UV sterilizer won't cause any problems.

Unread 10/22/2018, 09:22 PM   #3
saf1
Registered Member

Well - all I can say is follow the directions if you are using NoPox and don't rush. That will lead only to bad things. I was using it trying to reduce Nitrates measuring 60+. I have a 5 month old tank still maturing with some corals and fish I migrated has part of the tank upgrade (210 gallons). Read instructions, used mixed reef guidelines, estimated 190 gallons of water, saw the recommended daily dose, and cut it in third. That is where I started.

Measured again during the week, didn't see any change, continued dosing. Next week rolled around, measured, same. Increased the dose, still under recommended, another week goes by and I start to see change. Measure, increase dose, measure, and see more change. Now I re-adjust dose to current levels and run in maintenance mode.

All in all it took a little over a month to bring it down to a reading of 15 on Nitrates. Phosphates also decreased. At this time I also picked up a ATI ICP test and sent off a water sample to compare. Everything was in alignment more or less so I knew I was good.

I had a minor salinity issue and thought it was too low of nutrients so I stopped dosing. I caught the salinity issue and correcting that now. Once that is back on track I'll probably start up with NoPox again since it was helping. Again, everything I've read about the product on several forums is consistent with:

1. Read the instructions
2. Follow the instructions - do not dose more
3. Cut it in half to start if not by a third
4. Go slow
5. Test at least once a week, if not twice
6. Remember has it corrects by removing remember to adjust your dose

Edit: Skimmer - must have skimmer and one that works very well.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 04:51 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Patience..
Dose can be spread out and still be effective..
Carbon dosing can be used with UV as most bacteria lives on the surface and is not free floating to be killed by flowing through the UV.

Dose recommended amount for 2 weeks.. If no noticeable drop increase it 10% for another week or 2.. Increase again if no drop.. Increase up till you notice bacterial snot (clear boogers on rocks/glass,etc...) then back down some and maintain that..

Unread 10/25/2018, 01:02 AM   #5
Deezill
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I might try stopping the UV sterilizer for a bit, but it's possible that it is not the cause of the problems. We don't know all that much about how carbon dosing actually works, but it's very likely that the bacteria live on surfaces in the tank, and thus the UV sterilizer won't cause any problems.
I can concur that a UV will not affect NoPox. I run my Uv while dosing and seen results after 1.5 weeks on a steady dosing regiment. Just follow the instructions and ensure you are dosing for your correct water volume in your tank.

Deezill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 05:01 PM   #6
steamman
Registered Member

Do you have sand bed? Takes longer to drop with sand. I use NoPox and have had great results.

Less is

Current Tank Info: 800 gal of salt water flowing in my basement
steamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamman View Post
Do you have sand bed? Takes longer to drop with sand. I use NoPox and have had great results.
Me too on the nopox... completely weakened my GHA problem

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 05:22 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

After 16 months dosing NoPox, after 6 months of lowering nitrates to 5 ppm and holding at this value for a further 10 months, I notice that my Nitrates are now undectedable. I am slowly, week by week, reducing the dosing by 1 ml hoping my nitrates with rise back to 2-5 ppm.

I am assuming at one point in the tanks maturity, NoPox may not be necessary, or at least, in much smaller doses.

I found this stuff to be quite helpful.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 07:17 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm glad that it seems to have worked for you.

Unread 10/31/2018, 09:03 PM   #10
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
After 16 months dosing NoPox, after 6 months of lowering nitrates to 5 ppm and holding at this value for a further 10 months, I notice that my Nitrates are now undectedable. I am slowly, week by week, reducing the dosing by 1 ml hoping my nitrates with rise back to 2-5 ppm.

I am assuming at one point in the tanks maturity, NoPox may not be necessary, or at least, in much smaller doses.

I found this stuff to be quite helpful.
ya ive been dosing 4 ml a day and just tested phisphates and with ULR phosphorous, they came it at 4. thatd like .01... im thinking maybe dose less or none at all and see what happens

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 08:54 PM   #11
cwschoon
Registered Member

Can I use nopox in conjunction with chemi pure blue? I know carbon use is acceptable-red sea tech help told me that but is not getting back to me on this question- but wondering if the other resins in blue will render nopox ineffective.

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 10:16 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

It's basically just a good grade of carbon. I don't think that the ion-exchange resins will do anything in a marine tank, but technology changes. It'll be fine with NOPOx.

Unread 01/09/2019, 07:22 AM   #13
cwschoon
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply.

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2019, 08:58 PM   #14
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome.