Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

Skimmer selection

So I am upgrading from a 180 gallon to a 240 gallon reef tank. Currently I have a lifereef skimmer which has worked well. It's about 32" high. I was thinking about switching over to a reef octopus 220 elite. One thing with the venturi on the lifereef is that I want to run the airline outside and when I do this with the lifereef the venturi valve tends to salt up with the dry air. I won't have this issue with the pinwheel design. Any feedback between the two? Does anyone use the Octopus elite?

Thanks
Joe

180 Gallon reef tank with coast to coast Herbie overflow. 60 Gallon sump with 9" filter sock. 36" lifereef skimmer, activated carbon filter. Emperor Aquatics 40W UV Sterilizer

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reed tank, coast to coast overflow, herbie overflow. Life reef sump and 36" life reef skimmer, GHL Doser 2, Neptune Apex reef controller, Auto topoff, Spectrapure RO system with a Tunze RO controller. activated carbon and no more GFO.
Scubajoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2018, 11:52 AM   #2
untico
Registered Member

I have a 400 gal total water volume system and use a Tunze DOC Skimmer 9430 DC . I’ve had many skimmers in the past and this Tunze is in a league of its own. Super simple to setup. Just turn on, adjust a knob on the controller, once set there’s nothing else to do other than emptying the cup. And you will never have an overflow. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 300gal Mixed reef, AI 52 HD LED'S /180 gal.Sump-AI 52 w/Refugium , 50gal Skimmer sump, 20gal quarantine tank. No Chiller :>)
untico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 09:42 AM   #3
MJNTWise
7 Year Newbie

You can add a extension to your Lifereef skimmer and you should be good to go....

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. 40B gal. sump. 100 lbs live rock, Duel Cor 20 return pump,30"lifereef skimmer,4 MP 40, 4 XR15w Pro 4 with 2 50/50 reefbrites, Apex Control
MJNTWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 01:53 PM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

Stay with the Lifereef. I love the venturi and have an MTC. Stick the air tube in a couple cups of very hot/boiling water every couple months to clean out the salt.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifereef, octopus, pinwheel