Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2018, 08:23 AM   #1
steve1981
Registered Member

Testing for Red Sea Coral Colors ABCD

I have a 100g mixed reef which dosing pumps already setup for the main three elements. All testing ok as parameters below but I want to use this pack of Colors ABC and D that I have.

But I don’t have the test kits for these compounds. I don’t really do water changes and lucky enough to have a relatively good system combating the bad stuff. With that being said, I cannot therefore accurately determine what the levels are for what the ABCD replenishes by simply mimicking the amount I dose for calcium. Any ideas around this other than spending £50 on the test kits for iodine, etc?

Nitrites, ammonia and phosphate 0ppm
Nitrates 2ppm
Calcium 500ppm (waiting to come down a tad)
Magnesium 1400ppm
Alkalinity 11.0dKh
Salinity 35pt
Temp 27c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 10:08 AM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

There's no practical way to get data on what elements are being consumed or building up other than the basics, like calcium, iodine, etc. There are a number of companies using ICP analysis, but at the cost point, they are taking shortcuts in their procedures, and that does seem to affect the accuracy of the results, although that's not quantified very well yet.

There's no way to determine the consumption ratios, either, other than the usual ratio of 2.8 dKH per 20 ppm calcium.

Unread 05/25/2018, 11:09 AM   #3
steve1981
Registered Member

I mean could I just test for Iodine which is CC A and then dose the BC and D by the same amount? From reading the instructions it appears that whatever you need you dose all 4 by the same amount anyway.

Unread 05/25/2018, 12:06 PM   #4
Whiskylen
Registered Member

I feel dosing colors based on cal consumption or test results are both guesstimates. Neither is completely accurate as you have no idea of true consumption and even the item your testing is just one of many elements in each bottle. I use colors and I dose based on cal consumption it may be too much or too little bit at least it is easy

Whiskylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 12:59 PM   #5
steve1981
Registered Member

That’s what I plan to do, but can only do that when I know those levels are at the optimal range. Over the last few months they probably would have dropped and although o have now topped up the Ca, Mg and the Alk, those metals are probably still at a low base level. Need to get them up to standard and then I can measure against the Ca and dose with that.

Unread 05/26/2018, 02:19 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

We can measure alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium with some accuracy, barring the occasional test kit failure. Accurate testing for trace elements and ions generally is impractical for most budgets, outside of a few kits such as phosphate, iodine, and silicate. You can look at enclabs.com for cost estimates of reliable testing.

Unread 05/26/2018, 09:36 PM   #7
thegrun
Registered Member

I tie my dosing to the calcium consumption and after a year using the Red Sea Colors my ICP analysis showed my trace element parameters were all in line except my Strontium which was a little low.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote