Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/02/2009, 10:08 PM   #1
kmu
Registered Member

Do ricordea florida reproduce fast or slow?

Hi there, Ive had my shrooms reproduce I get at least a new one every month and Ive got 3 diferent type of shrooms, now I have around 14 diferent ricordea florida, would they ever reproduce?

kmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2009, 10:22 PM   #2
macclellan
Registered Member

yes.

macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2009, 09:57 AM   #3
kmu
Registered Member

Do I have to feed them to make them grow and reproduce and if so with what should I feed them?

THX

kmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2009, 10:47 AM   #4
macclellan
Registered Member

light.

macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2009, 11:36 AM   #5
smoney
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by macclellan
light.

Haha, Macclellan, your short answers are so helpful, haha.

They grow relatively slow at first, but once your system gets stable they can take off. If you want to feed them every once in a while you can. I find that after I feed them a day or two after, they seem to thrive and extend and look bigger. I feed mine some fish pellets that I feed my clowns, I like using fish pellets because the size of the fish pellet I get are small enough to fit in the ricordeas mouth and its weighted down enough to where it stays sunk onto the ricordea.

I also feed them brine shrimp and mysis shrimp too, but since they aren't heavier, sometimes they just float off the ricordea which is kind of fustrating.

Last edited by smoney; 08/03/2009 at 11:41 AM.
smoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Azurel
Registered Member.

It depends on the ric itself....I have some that grow and split once 2x month while others have done nothing. I have tried to feed Florida ricordea and in my case they do not take food, they will not wrap around it and just let it fall off them. So I quit trying toget them to eat.....The best thing to do is get the stabile parameters, temps etc....And leave them alone...

Unread 08/03/2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Jeff
Registered Member

Good quality food like Rod's Food, moderate flow and lots of light have helped mine out. I also take the good ones out and cut them up into 4 pieces like a pizza every few months to get some new ones if they are splitting slowly.

Inspiration (all mine):

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2009, 08:45 PM   #8
smoney
Registered Member

Those are nice Jeff, what kind of rod's food do you use the original or the coral blend?

And how does Rod's food look like, do you spot feed your rics or is it like marine snow and it just disperses everywhere in the tank?

smoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2009, 08:56 PM   #9
Jeff
Registered Member

I mix Rod's original, Rod's coral food, some frozen mysis, cyclopseeze, selcon, coral frenzy and some reef roids into a slurry and squirt it all of the corals twice a week with the pumps off for a few minutes. Like any coral, the less colorful ones grow and split faster then the rare colors .

IWNFT343F

Unread 08/03/2009, 09:39 PM   #10
Tallinu
Registered Member

All my floridas feed, mysis, fish food, rods, I like rods reef as a product. Good stuff. I can cut krill into small steaks and they eat it. Silversides the same way. My Floridas eat anything and I can feed them almost every day. I have so many floridas I don't even count them. I love both types of Rics. One thing I've noticed is rics can go through fazes. Don't worry about reproduction it will happen with Floridas quickly if your doing everything else right. If you play your cards right and feed them now and then, one becomes two, two becomes four, four becomes eight. You get the idea.

Tallinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 11:55 AM   #11
drawman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
Good quality food like Rod's Food, moderate flow and lots of light have helped mine out. I also take the good ones out and cut them up into 4 pieces like a pizza every few months to get some new ones if they are splitting slowly.
What do you use to cut them up. I would think a scalpel would be nice but razor blades may cause too much damage.

drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Jeff
Registered Member

I use a fresh razor blade. Nothing fancy, it's hard to kill rics. Some of the pics above show how I placed them in some crushed gravel for a couple weeks until they attached. I then glued the crushed coral that they were on to frag plugs and let them grow out.

IWNFT343F

Unread 08/09/2009, 09:53 AM   #13
SECRETREEF
Registered Member

I believe feeding florida rics helps them to multiply because eversince I stoped feeding them they stopped dividing. So I will start feeding again.... NOW!!

SECRETREEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2009, 10:09 PM   #14
16dollars
Registered Member

I went from one orange ric with one mouth to one wiht 5 mouths. then i fragged it with 100% success rate. two of the pieces have 2 mouths and the third piece has one mouth. all of this happened within 3-4 months. by the end of the year i am expecting to have 9 or so. just take your time. take care of your tank and it will take care of you.

16dollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2009, 11:36 AM   #15
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Mine divide on their own. I'm not pushing the aquaculture on them. Just want them to fill in one section of my tank (almost there). So far, I don't target feed them. But, they are in a section of the tank where flake and pellet fish food will settle on them. So far, they seem to like it.

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
jdhuyvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2012, 02:33 PM   #16
VeganInFurs
Registered Member

Ive had my ricordea almost 2 weeks now and ive been feeding it brine shrimp every time i feed my fish which is twice a day.... as well as planton food every so often and so far 4 baby shrooms have started growing around it. I just spray a little of the frozenbrine shrimp onto it with a dropper and it starts feeding within seconds... pretty awesome!

VeganInFurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 06:42 PM   #17
Rudolph
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallinu View Post
All my floridas feed, mysis, fish food, rods, I like rods reef as a product. Good stuff. I can cut krill into small steaks and they eat it. Silversides the same way. My Floridas eat anything and I can feed them almost every day. I have so many floridas I don't even count them. I love both types of Rics. One thing I've noticed is rics can go through fazes. Don't worry about reproduction it will happen with Floridas quickly if your doing everything else right. If you play your cards right and feed them now and then, one becomes two, two becomes four, four becomes eight. You get the idea.
Okay, after a statement like "I have so many floridas I don't even count them" you cannot leave us hanging....bring on the pics!

Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Rudolph
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhuyvetter View Post
Mine divide on their own. I'm not pushing the aquaculture on them. Just want them to fill in one section of my tank (almost there). So far, I don't target feed them. But, they are in a section of the tank where flake and pellet fish food will settle on them. So far, they seem to like it.
Again, with a quote like, almost filled section of the tank, you gotta post pics....I think it was in the fine print when you joined..

Unread 02/22/2012, 07:06 PM   #19
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

As of 5 minutes ago

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
Unread 02/22/2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Rudolph
Registered Member

nice pics, those rics look very happy. jd...thx.

What size tank do you have and what type lighting.....

Unread 02/23/2012, 07:13 PM   #21
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

300 gallons, all T-5's

Unread 02/24/2012, 03:50 PM   #22
Dholmblad
Registered Member

Can someone link me to information regarding fragging rics? I would like to look into this once I pick up a few more. At this point I have only been able to find green ones..

Dholmblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2012, 01:26 PM   #23
pakirri
Registered Member

mines are really slow growers, I have to slice them up everytime I want them to split

pakirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 01:37 AM   #24
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Location: Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet from the sun, in a country called USA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
What do you use to cut them up. I would think a scalpel would be nice but razor blades may cause too much damage.
Make sure you wear some eye protection when cutting any corals, if liquid gets into your eyes it can be serious. Make sure you wash hands with soap after as you may wipe your eyes or ingest the poison too. JMHO!

reefsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 06:19 AM   #25
londonloco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefsahoy View Post
Make sure you wear some eye protection when cutting any corals, if liquid gets into your eyes it can be serious. Make sure you wash hands with soap after as you may wipe your eyes or ingest the poison too. JMHO!
Few years back I had green stripe mushrooms take over my tank. I took one smaller piece of LR out of the tank and was cutting the schrooms off the rock. One larger sucka squirted me directly in the eye. No biggie, right? many times I'd gotten salt water in my eyes. The pain got progressively worse thru the day, I ended up in the ER that night. I of course had to endure all the "schroom jokes" from all personnel in the ER. I even had a parade of student doctors in my ER bay too see the "schroom lady". Two more trips to the eye doctor until all the "microscopic sticky cannon balls" were scraped off of my eye ball. My eye doctor didn't think it was sand, he said the tiny particles in my eye were sticky foreign matter he had never seen before (this dr is not young either) and were embedded like cannons in my eyeball. My eye is fine today, but I would never remove a mushroom again with out wearing protective eye gear.