Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2010, 07:59 AM   #76
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

The epsilon in the same implies where the hydroxy group in the uncyclized molecule.

HOCH2CH3CH3CH3CH3CO2H

It could be attached to any of the carbon atoms, although only the last three carbons will allow it to cyclize into a lactone. The first carbon after the carbonyl would be alpha, second beta, third delta, then gamma, then epsilon.

All of them can form a polymer, but for most purposes, one can drop the epsilon and just read the name polycaprolactone since it is the common form.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2010, 08:25 AM   #77
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Thanks for the explanation Randy, I now recall this from college chemistry too many years ago to say.

I have noticed in several articles that it is cheaper to use wheat (in some cases soy beans,.....etc) to produce this plastic polymer. The cost in quite a bit less. They have articles demonstrating the strength differences for use purposes. They also include studies showing the differences in biodegradability. It appears that when polycaprolactone is produced using the wheat techniques it is more biodegradable and supplies more energy to the bacteria.

I would assume the polycaprolactone produced using wheat would be more beneficial for our purposes? Would the chemical name, polycaprolactone, change when they sell these products using wheat? I suspect that some of the products we are looking at use this methods due to cost?

They refer to the wheat produced polycaprolactone as modified polycaprolactone.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 02/17/2010 at 08:37 AM.
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2010, 08:38 AM   #78
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I don't know whether the differences are impurities or molecular weight effects or something else, so it is hard for me to say.

Unread 02/17/2010, 08:42 AM   #79
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Research Project: MODIFICATION OF NATURAL POLYMERS BY THERMO-MECHANICAL PROCESSING
http://afrsweb.usda.gov/research/pub..._no_115=216414

From it:

Interpretive Summary: Some conventional plastics are produced from petroleum-based feedstocks and persist in the environment for years. Biodegradable polymers, such as polycaprolactone (PCL), can be degraded in the environment by microorganisms, oxidation and hydrolysis. Biodegradable polymers can be utilized for packaging materials, hygiene products, disposable consumer goods, and agricultural products. The cost of PCL can be reduced by blending agricultural materials, such as wheat gluten (WG), into composite materials with appropriate mechanical properties. The manuscript reports on the formation of a polymer composite composed of PCL and WG fabricated by twin-screw extrusion and injection molding. The data show that there is some adhesion between PCL and WG in the composites indicating that WG is not an inert filler and contributes to the overall mechanical properties of the composite. The composites are biodegradable and competitive in cost with comparable non-sustainable petroleum-based products currently in the marketplace. The current study presents a new way to utilize agricultural materials for the future profitability of the agriculture industry.

Technical Abstract: Wheat gluten (WG) was incorporated into poly(caprolactone) (PCL) up to 50% w/w as a filler to form a biodegradable polymer composite. Microscopic examination showed a well-dispersed particle-matrix system. The composite was evaluated for tensile properties. The tensile strength of the composite decreased linearly with increasing wheat gluten content from 20 MPa (0% WG) to 6 MPa (50% WG). However, the decreases in tensile strength did not fit the Nicolais-Narkis model indicating that some adhesion between WG and PCL occurred. High elongation (>900%) was observed in PCL-WG composites with up to 20% WG which decreased to 400% at 35% WG and finally to less than 100% at 40-50% WG. There was a particle-induced transition at a calculated critical volume of 0.3 corresponding to 30% WG by weight to PCL.

Unread 02/17/2010, 09:01 AM   #80
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

I suspect, if in fact, the products used are made with 30% wheat gluten, then perhaps overdoses could occur?

Unread 02/17/2010, 09:02 AM   #81
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

FWIW, I've been informed by an IO insider that the polycaprolactone that they sell has been demonstrated to work well in reef aquaria, but that it may take a while to see good results.

My interpretation is that it may take a while to acquire the proper bacterial populations in the tank.

For folks trying a DIY, I might suggest washing the polymers somehow first, maybe in vodka, or some other solvent to remove any small molecule mold release agents or other materials that may be on the surface, to try to avoid the problems that someone earlier in this thread may have had from the PCL.

Unread 02/17/2010, 10:19 AM   #82
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenclove77 View Post
Instant Ocean Biopolymer Nitrate Reducer

Has anyone tried this product out yet?
So... for those of us who have limited chemistry knowledge... does this stuff work? Is the IO product worth getting?

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2010, 10:21 AM   #83
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I've been told it works, but I've not seen the results myself or from anyone posting here.

Unread 02/18/2010, 04:17 AM   #84
jptenklooster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
It should also be noted that PCLs can only be degraded under aerobic conditions, thus decreasing the thikness of the biofilm.

Why is that?

I understand why it might be slower to hydrolyze than a more hydrophilic polymer, but not why it needs to be aerobic.
I don't know why it only works under aerobic conditions, just that it is the case.

Results
The concentration profiles of the continuous-flow-reactors (see fig. 4) showed
considerable reduction of nitrate and oxygen, nitrite concentrations even in the
fixed bed below the limit levels for drinking water. With PCL resp. PHBV
denitrification rates of 14 resp. 30 mg/(m².h) N-NO3
- could be obtained.
However one major advantage of PCL for drinking water purposes is its nondegradabilityunder anaerobic conditions. This leads to an intrinsic security of
the system whenever operational failures occur and a shift into anaerobic
conditions has to be feared.

jptenklooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 12:23 AM   #85
solos2
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClH2Opgh View Post
Do you see any issue with this statement from the "uses"pdf on that site given the fact that reef tanks run in the 78-80+ degree range? :

"Under no circumstances should polymorph be heated above the range 60-65 degrees max. Above this temperature it will become a sticky adherent mass and present the same hazard as hot-melt glue.

I have no idea just wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandReefer View Post
I'm not sure about this. I have searched on line for some of the things they are bulding using this product. I can't see how the uses they have used to construct computer parts and what have you would hold up at the temperatures mentioned above (60-65 degrees max). It would appear to me, that this product must hold up at higher temperatures??????????????

An example:

http://staff.bath.ac.uk/ensab/replic.../extruder.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandReefer View Post
Well, if it doesn't work, you can always build something out of it. At least that's the way I look at it.
I think this was pointed out already but the pellets were meant to melt at 60-65 degrees Celsius not Fahrenheit. 60-65C = 140-150F

solos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 07:44 AM   #86
reggiepe
Seriously?

I have been following this thread as I am interested in the IO Nitrate Reducer. One thing that seems vague to me is the dosing regimen that needs to take place with the product. Is it daily, weekly, or as needed? I read the directions on the bottle and can't seem to extrapolate a dosing regimen.

reggiepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 07:59 AM   #87
kzooreefer
Registered Member

I had the same question about dosing after I read the directions and from what I found in the various forums and IO's website it is once a week.

kzooreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 09:22 AM   #88
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Where are you guys purchasing the IO product from? I haven't found it locally.

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Unread 02/19/2010, 09:26 AM   #89
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

DF&S carries it online. I have never seen it locally around here.

NaClH2Opgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 10:03 AM   #90
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Thanks.

Unread 02/19/2010, 10:20 AM   #91
Flavordsm
Registered Member

So has anyone tried the friendly plastic? Other than the 1 person who posted about it?

Flavordsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 11:05 AM   #92
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavordsm View Post
So has anyone tried the friendly plastic? Other than the 1 person who posted about it?
We have two different craft stores and neither of them carry it anymore. Not sure why. We have a big hobby/model store, I was going to check with them also but I doubt it. Looks like online for me if I want to try it.

Unread 02/19/2010, 12:57 PM   #93
Mark
Premium Member

Re: Instant Ocean Biopolymer Nitrate Reducer

I ordered some Friendly Plastic and it definitely has a chemical smell. I'm hoping a soak in vodka will clean it up. In contrast, the biopellets have no smell.

TOTM March 2001

Current Tank Info: 225g stony reef, 38g softie
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 04:36 PM   #94
SPStoner
Team RC Member

Location: Blacksburg, VA, but born and raised in Cleveland, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiepe View Post
I have been following this thread as I am interested in the IO Nitrate Reducer. One thing that seems vague to me is the dosing regimen that needs to take place with the product. Is it daily, weekly, or as needed? I read the directions on the bottle and can't seem to extrapolate a dosing regimen.

It is weekly. The packaging is somewhat vague on this, and will be corrected in future production runs.

Going on 31 years in this crazy hobby.

Current Tank Info: 70 Marineland cube, 34 gallon Red Sea Max, 6 gallon Nano
SPStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 07:00 PM   #95
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyfish View Post
Where are you guys purchasing the IO product from? I haven't found it locally.

I just saw it today at a Petco.

Unread 02/20/2010, 07:41 AM   #96
graveyardworm
Registered Member

I'm curious how effective at phosphate removal these products are. As I recall the NP Bio-Pellets state that phosphate binders may need to be kept in place on top of using the pellets atleast to some extent. Now the new IO product is called Nitrate reducer but doesnt seem to mention phosphates. If this is a form of carbon dosing then why doesnt it work the same?

I'm also curious about the IO pellets/liquid. You just dose it to the tank? What happens to the pellets, do they sit on the sand, dissolve, or should you use it in a reactor. Sorry if I missed these answers somewhere.

edit: starting to find some answers, quote from RB's quick review

Quote:
From the patent description, it looks like the products beads settle in the tank mixing with the substrate and finding other nooks and crannies to set up shop then giving nitrate reducing bacteria a food source to proliferate over time.
Several people in my local club are trying out the NP Bio-Pellets. One of them hasnt been shaking the reactor or doing anything to mix it up, and they have what they describe as an oatmeal looking mass in the reactor. If these little IO pellets settle onto the sand and in nooks and crannies in the LR then wouldnt you and up with little gelatinous masses everywhere? or are the pellets so small that they get used up very quickly?

There’ll be no one to save, with the world in a grave

Current Tank Info: 100 gal lagoon/seagrass, 100 gal sump, Lifereef 72" skimmer, 180 inwall, 125 inwall seagrass/lagoon in progress

Last edited by graveyardworm; 02/20/2010 at 07:48 AM.
graveyardworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2010, 08:58 AM   #97
austin93
Don't Panic!

Nevermind, 2 year old decided to contribute while I was reading this thread. Good little reefer .

Current Tank Info: 30 Rimless

Last edited by austin93; 02/20/2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Toddler Issues
austin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2010, 10:32 AM   #98
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

lol Aren't kids grand?

Unread 02/22/2010, 08:52 AM   #99
Kevin012
Premium Member

gust checking cost wise:

the IO stuff runs about $ 12.00 (500 ML) and you have to dose 10 ml/10 gal

lets hope it is to dose once a week

a 150 gal tank needs in 6 months

about 6 of this = $ 72.00

the NP are to start 500 ml / 500L = around 130 gal and is cheaper, is prooven to work and could last a bit longer than 6 months

ahh and talking about a bit of nature, how frendly is it to produce/ship/recycle 6 cans of the IO, if not the land fill (this part is of less considderation for most of us)

Current Tank Info: 400 gal + sump - 72 inch DIY skimmer - 4x 150W HQI + 200W T5
Kevin012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 10:31 AM   #100
Flavordsm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I ordered some Friendly Plastic and it definitely has a chemical smell. I'm hoping a soak in vodka will clean it up. In contrast, the biopellets have no smell.
If you use it will you let us know how it works out? I'm very interested in the DIY aspect of solid carbon dosing.

Flavordsm is offline   Reply With Quote