Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2010, 11:05 AM   #101
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Three weeks now. Now slime on my pellets. Gentle tumble, no problem keeping the media from channeling. I keep my Alk at 9.0.

My cyano is dying away. I have been dosing MB7 at 4 drops every two days with some marine snow too. Everything seems to have good color and lots of growth. So far so good.

90g RR SPS dominate. WM K2 skimmer /red nw. 60g fuge/sump. Upgraded Coralife Pro 250w w/ dual Galaxy and 14K Phoenix with 2x96 SPS dual actinic. Apex controller with WXM and two MP40s. Herbie overflow. Now running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets.
PowermanKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2010, 11:31 AM   #102
Buganddoug
X NJRC Vice President

PowermanKW,
My tank glass is staying cleaner. I am cleaning it about every 4 days compare to every day. Also my sand bed 90% cleaner.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Heavily stock tank Reef and Fish. 100 gallon sump, ATI Power cone IS Protein skimmer, Warner Warine MR100. 4 AI Hydra 52 HD LEDS running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets,Warner Marine additives
Buganddoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2010, 03:24 PM   #103
PowermanKW
Registered Member

I meant to say NO slime on my pellets.

My glass algae seems to be about the same. Now I'll have to keep an eye on my Cheato. It was a real slow grower to begin with. No signs it is dying right now.

90g RR SPS dominate. WM K2 skimmer /red nw. 60g fuge/sump. Upgraded Coralife Pro 250w w/ dual Galaxy and 14K Phoenix with 2x96 SPS dual actinic. Apex controller with WXM and two MP40s. Herbie overflow. Now running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets.
Unread 06/06/2010, 09:13 AM   #104
poolkeeper1
Moved On

I added my Eco-Bak about a week ago and already see an amazing difference in my tank.
The most noticeable thing being my newly added frag tank that was over run with Algae is almost completely void of any at all. My egg-crate frag rack which always had algae growing on it is absolutely clean now, Just Coralline that magically appeared very quickly.
Also my Acans,Zoas, and all my SPS (Which is many) have polyp extension like never before and the colors are brighter.
I had several friends over in the last few day's and they all agree it's not my Imagination
My pellets are gently tumbling with no clumping and do not appear to be slimmed up in any way. I also have not made any other changes to my system (Purposely) as to get an honest assessment of this product and how well it works. IMO this may be the best thing to come along in this hobby in many years if the results stay positive and there are no negative effects on the system. So far i only see good thing happening and am very pleased with this product. Last but not least my glass has been pretty much Algae free since i added this to my reactor where i had to clean every couple of day's before.
Bill

poolkeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2010, 09:19 AM   #105
amheck
Registered Member

Cool story, glad you are getting good results.

Has anyone called Warner lately to see if these are in stock again? I plan on calling tomorrow.

amheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2010, 09:26 AM   #106
poolkeeper1
Moved On

Eco-Bak

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post
Cool story, glad you are getting good results.

Has anyone called Warner lately to see if these are in stock again? I plan on calling tomorrow.
Premium Aquatics said they would have it in stock shortly, According to Jeremy.
Bill

Unread 06/06/2010, 01:32 PM   #107
buy_baff
Registered Member

I woosed out took mine off line due to cayno out break. I think my current skimmer is not powerfull enough. The current one is a OCT-NW-150 rated for 150gal I just ordered ( and will have thursday ) a OCT-DDNW-150 rated for 350gal. The new skimmer is a duel recirc and I plad to feed out side of the reactor directly into the skimmer. I don't know if it was stupid to loose 2 weeks by takeing it off line but I didn't want a full blown cayno out break.
-Bill

Unread 06/06/2010, 01:51 PM   #108
poolkeeper1
Moved On

One Important fact I forgot, All my test for Nitrate, Phospate were 0 Salifert tests FWIW.
I will be getting a hand held Hanna P04 meter soon to get more accurate results.
Bill

Unread 06/06/2010, 04:16 PM   #109
Mcubed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buy_baff View Post
I woosed out took mine off line due to cayno out break. I think my current skimmer is not powerfull enough. The current one is a OCT-NW-150 rated for 150gal I just ordered ( and will have thursday ) a OCT-DDNW-150 rated for 350gal. The new skimmer is a duel recirc and I plad to feed out side of the reactor directly into the skimmer. I don't know if it was stupid to loose 2 weeks by takeing it off line but I didn't want a full blown cayno out break.
-Bill
I've read of a couple other people on another forum had cyano outbreaks and stopped using it. Went back to their Zeo routine and cyano cleared up.

Mcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2010, 08:31 PM   #110
buy_baff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcubed View Post
I've read of a couple other people on another forum had cyano outbreaks and stopped using it. Went back to their Zeo routine and cyano cleared up.
I'm going to put it back on line when the new skimmer gets here with the out line plumbed straight into the skimmer. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. I was seeing some posative effects before the cyano.

Unread 06/06/2010, 10:04 PM   #111
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Quote:
I had a cyano out break, but it was not attributed to the pellets and now my cyano is clearing up. There are other pellets that have been on the market and no real cyano problem has been attributed to the pellets. It is important to document the effects these pellets have on tanks. But it is also important to properly attribute cause and effect and not just circumstantial occurrences.

Unread 06/06/2010, 10:11 PM   #112
Mcubed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowermanKW View Post
I had a cyano out break, but it was not attributed to the pellets and now my cyano is clearing up. There are other pellets that have been on the market and no real cyano problem has been attributed to the pellets. It is important to document the effects these pellets have on tanks. But it is also important to properly attribute cause and effect and not just circumstantial occurrences.
I completely agree. I'm excited about this and really want to give this system a try. I'm just hesitant when I read some other peoples experiences so far. But like you said , documentation of all possible contributing factors are not always listed / known and blame may be prematurely put on the pellets.

Mcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 01:27 AM   #113
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Quote:
I completely agree. I'm excited about this and really want to give this system a try. I'm just hesitant when I read some other peoples experiences so far. But like you said , documentation of all possible contributing factors are not always listed / known and blame may be prematurely put on the pellets.
The crux of the argument is that cyano outbreaks are pretty common with liquid carbon dosing due to the carbon source fueling cyano in the tank. So, if pellets cause a cyano outbreak.... then that means a significant amount of carbon makes it to the tank... which would go against the claims that these pellets do not break down in salt water.

However, not too many common problems of cyano with pellets as there are with liquid carbon. My cyano was caused by me putting in some old rock I had. Tried to scrub it well but cyano popped up. Also, I had an outbreak before I ran the pellets due to overdosing some new food. While it was tempting for me to look at the pellets, I doubt that was it. Rock are coloring up with good algae and cyano is dying out.

Unread 06/07/2010, 01:29 AM   #114
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buy_baff View Post
I'm going to put it back on line when the new skimmer gets here with the out line plumbed straight into the skimmer. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. I was seeing some posative effects before the cyano.
I have not noticed drastic changes in my skimate. It seems a bit more cloudy, maybe a little bit more. But I must have export taking place cause my NO3 and PO4 dropped off to zero. PO4 was never "zero" even with GFO... it ran .008

I only have my effluent from my reactor going to the skimmer section. I did not make any provisions to direct flow directly to the skimmer inlet.

Unread 06/07/2010, 08:49 AM   #115
poolkeeper1
Moved On

effluent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowermanKW View Post
I have not noticed drastic changes in my skimate. It seems a bit more cloudy, maybe a little bit more. But I must have export taking place cause my NO3 and PO4 dropped off to zero. PO4 was never "zero" even with GFO... it ran .008

I only have my effluent from my reactor going to the skimmer section. I did not make any provisions to direct flow directly to the skimmer inlet.
Same here, I just moved the return to flow into the skimmer section, Instead of the fuge section. I'm not sure this really matters in the whole scheme of this product working though. I have not seen any traces of Cyano at all so far, And even as a long time Vodka doser on my other larger system only had this problem when I over fed Liquid foods or tried brands not normally used. I think Cyano is a whole seperate issue that has many factors which can cause an outbreak, Not simply using a carbon source. JMO
Bill

Unread 06/07/2010, 06:11 PM   #116
bmwaaron
Registered Member

So did anyone find out the availability date of this product?

Current Tank Info: Reefer 350 (73 gallon)
bmwaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 09:11 PM   #117
noahm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwaaron View Post
So did anyone find out the availability date of this product?

Spoke w/Jon this morning and he said later in the week through WM, and shortly thereafter at retailers. You can preorder through WM, just email him for the details.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 09:47 PM   #118
bmwaaron
Registered Member

What is the price of this per liter or half liter? I emailed WM a week ago and got no reply so I guess it's time to call.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 350 (73 gallon)
bmwaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 09:53 PM   #119
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Well it's a couple days short of 4 weeks. NO3 is zero. PO4 is still zero on a Merck kit.... but perhaps the slightest shade of blue...maybe.... still less than the first color of .008, but not the obvious yellow like last week. We'll see.

Just like Jon said, my pellets are not slimed up. I have my pellets on a "slow simmer" if that makes sense, and they are not channeling anymore. Still reluctant to feed more right now. My plan is to wait a coulpe of more weeks.

for my NO3 and PO4 to be low is nothing new to me. My cheato has always grown slow. So now I want to see if the pellets are outcompeting the cheato for nutrients and if it will start to wither. We'll see in a couple of weeks. After that then I will go back to dosing oyster eggs and rotties and aminos which kicked off the cyano before I started the pellets.

Unread 06/07/2010, 09:54 PM   #120
PowermanKW
Registered Member

I paid $35 for 500ml for 100g.

Unread 06/07/2010, 10:46 PM   #121
poolkeeper1
Moved On

I'm still seeing only positive things and the only product i'm running other than some Chemipure Elite is the Eco-Bak, I took out the Phosguard when i added the E-B and have kept all other routines the same with no changes to effect the results of the E-B being added to the system. Hopefully this will give me a true insight to it's capabilities of controlling No3 and Po4 without any negative side effects. Watching closely as the time goes by for any sign of improvement from my current conditions in the tank.
Bill

Unread 06/08/2010, 11:35 AM   #122
biecacka
Registered Member

what is everyone running the pellets in? a filter sock, a media reactor?
corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2010, 01:43 PM   #123
poolkeeper1
Moved On

Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
what is everyone running the pellets in? a filter sock, a media reactor?
corey
I am running mine in a BRS reactor all by themselves, Gently tumbling with a Maxijet 1200 for flow about 2/3 open.
Bill

Unread 06/10/2010, 08:10 AM   #124
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

The chemipure elite contains gfo, btw.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 11:47 AM   #125
snarkes
Registered Member

Interesting. My dad was just mentioning these to me yesterday. Of course I just got the BRS Dual Chamber reactor and a big old canister of their GFO. It might be redundant, but I might try running these pellets with the GFO. Might as well... got another 4 lbs to run through.

snarkes is offline   Reply With Quote