Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/10/2016, 07:32 PM   #301
soulpatch
Registered Member

nothing is the end all be all for keeping water clean. I use purigen to compliment my rox carbon and GFO.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2016, 07:45 PM   #302
Rakie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
nothing is the end all be all for keeping water clean.
Good point! I've had a bag sitting around forever, I'll toss it in next time I switch Carbon/GFO out

Old 07/12/2016, 06:56 AM   #303
homer1475
Registered Member

Went to PETCO last night and picked up a couple bags of purigen(they are 100G bags) ad threw them in my sump. Funny part is they are prepackaged bags for treating up to 100G. One bag is a nice fluffy pillow, the other is about half the size. Not very good quality control there.

Anywho, today I start bringing my lights back up from a 3 day blackout(still trying to get a hold on the GHA). This morning my water already looks quite a bit clearer.

Need to take the skimmer out and clean it as I think I have some calcium precip in the venturi as I'm not getting very many bubbles and skimming absolutely nothing.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2016, 02:56 PM   #304
Rakie
Registered Member

So Homer, about your algae --

Is the algae you thought was Bryopsis the main algae you're fighting? (Sorry homie, dense thread!) If it is what you're fighting, it is most assuredly Bryopsis -- I had the exact same algae and nothing seemed to work. All the people helping had misidentified. Slowly dosed a bottle of Tech M to get Mag to 2200 and its all gone within a week.

My Bryopsis didn't start dying until 1900+ Mag, there's still gray wisps of it clinging to rock, although it is dead yet hard to scrub off. My outbreak got thick incredibly fast. The downside to killing Bryopsis is not doing water changes until it's all dead. Any WC would just mess with the magnesium you're trying to keep north of 2000. I'm 3 weeks without WC and Mag north of 2000 (2120-ish last test). Corals weren't hit hard but a little pale, snails were lethargic for a few days.

Old 07/12/2016, 03:56 PM   #305
homer1475
Registered Member

Yeah that's the main algae I'm fighting. Pretty sure it's just plain old GHA, as the lights out and manually pulling it has caused it to die off for the most part. Pretty sure it's just the dry pukani that's causing it.

I opened my last bucket of IORC just now(bought 5 pails around x-mas time when petsmart had a 20$ a bucket sale) to find a nifty t-shirt in it. Nothing extravagant, and it's obviously from x-mas, but pretty cool none the less. I've never used tapatalk to upload pics so sorry if they don't show.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV

Old 07/12/2016, 04:12 PM   #306
Rakie
Registered Member

Same here, I had done a lot of things including a blackout that gave a little success, as well as manual removal. Even with GFO and Carbon it just kept coming back until I used Tech M.

Mine also came from dry Pukani / Tonga shelf from BRS

Old 07/17/2016, 11:50 AM   #307
homer1475
Registered Member

New clowns are out of TTM and in the DT. Some aggression from my old clown, but he seem to be getting along just fine with the new female. He will charge the new male, which is over half as small as him. Its funny to watch because when ever the old male charges the new male, the new female charges the old male. lol

My algae is finally getting under control, at least I have no new growing and whats is there is finally turning white and dying off.

I'm finally getting a grip on this 2 part dosing stuff. I was able to keep ALK and CALK in check with KALK in my topoff in my biocube, so this is basically all new to me.

I never realized your supposed to be dosing ALK and Calc at the same rate. I was only dosing according to what the calculators were telling me(99% of the time my calcium was fine but ALK low). Now that I'm finally dosing properly I notice I don't have any where near the precip I was getting.

It still baffles me how when my test kit says my calcium is at 420, then I add 3 ounces of BRS 2 part and my calcium remains at 420, but the ALK raises from 7.5 to 8.5. I understand the concept of 2 part, but does it not raise the calcium when your adding it? Or from what I've gathered from reading, our test kits can't measure the very small drop in calcium from only losing 1DKH of ALK.

Old 07/17/2016, 12:41 PM   #308
Devaji108
Registered Member

hey nice shirt! I remember the days when every bucket had one in it. great tank cleaning shirt. makes great rags as well.

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2016, 01:07 PM   #309
homer1475
Registered Member

Well I have my grandmother home with me for the summer(she hasn't been home in 7 years), and I turned her room(our spare room), into my fish room. Got rid of her bed, and dresser and replaced them with a couple free standing cabinets to hold all the junk this hobby makes you accumulate. lol So much for my fish room. I have most of my stuff either in my garage or crammed into my bedroom closet. This is just going to be a huge inconvenience for me, but its my grandmother and I love her so it's all good.

I had to pick her up from the airport, and she had a late flight, so while I was in Syracuse I stopped by some of the LFS's out there. I ended up with a nice pink lobo, another whitish rockflower nem, and despite my best efforts to tell my wife NO, a mandarin dragonet. While I think she'll be fine, I'm a little worried about my copepod population and the hurting she's going to put on them. I did read that they will not get ich because of their thick slime coat and my LFS that I ended up getting her from said she had been in the store a while and looked quite healthy. So no QT for this one. She will complete my stocking list for fish.

I have of course ordered in about 12K pods from algae barn(I got lucky as they are running a BOGO offer right now). Their poseidon's feast 16oz bag holds 3K pods, so I ordered 4 bags for the price of 2(super score!). I've ordered pods from them in the past(seeded my tank and have periodically ordered a couple 16oz bags), and their stuff always comes in well packed and with several cold packs. Best part about algae barn, anything over 40$ ships 2 day for free!

As soon as my new inhabitants get comfortable, I'll post up some picks. The mandy seems to be doing well, and has actually gotten a bit fatter in 2 days. She is definitely getting plenty of pods, for now. I have been feeding the tank live phyto from algae barn to help increase the pod population, and it seems to be working quite well. I always have hundreds of pods in my filter socks when I change them out.

I think I'm finally getting a grip on this dosing thing too. I'm adding 5 fluid ounces of 2 part to maintain my alk at 9, and calcium at 430. Took me quite a while to understand you need to add equal parts of each. I had thought you test, then add whatever parameter was low. So in my case I was just adding ALK as my CAL was fine. All I ended up doing was creating a ton of precip. I thought I knew what I was doing, apparently I didn't, but I definitely have it down now.

Pics to follow......sooner or later lol. It all depends on where the rock flower will settle(hes been all over the tank so far), and if the mandy ever comes out of hiding during the daylight.

Last edited by homer1475; 07/20/2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07/21/2016, 07:58 AM   #310
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I think I'm finally getting a grip on this dosing thing too. I'm adding 5 fluid ounces of 2 part to maintain my alk at 9, and calcium at 430. Took me quite a while to understand you need to add equal parts of each. I had thought you test, then add whatever parameter was low. So in my case I was just adding ALK as my CAL was fine. All I ended up doing was creating a ton of precip. I thought I knew what I was doing, apparently I didn't, but I definitely have it down now.
Took me a long time to learn that too (though it's still hard to entirely grasp, since the numbers do bounce around independently). On the right path!

That's great that you can have family stay with you. My parents are always welcome at our place, but they have to sleep on an inflatable mattress in the middle of the living room, with floor-to-ceiling windows open to the back yard, so not the best accommodations.

Glad your algae is dying off too. That's always the right direction. Just make sure to keep exporting as it dies. I'm getting more bubble algae, which is the real tough algae to get rid of, since there is no solution for it other than manual removal (or large fishes that eat it, which is how I kept it at bay in my old 120g tank).

Good things though. Keep the tank and house cool through the summer, and you'll be set for some serious growth!

ReefWreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2016, 07:03 AM   #311
homer1475
Registered Member

Already seeing some massive growth!!

My monti has nearly doubled in size and is very nicely encrusting up my overflow, the clam has added 2 scute sizes to its shell, all the acans have at least grown 1 more head, and all the euphyllia have split(some a few times).

Still just a tad bit worried about the pod population and mandy though.

Old 07/22/2016, 08:30 AM   #312
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:

My monti has nearly doubled in size and is very nicely encrusting up my overflow, the clam has added 2 scute sizes to its shell, all the acans have at least grown 1 more head, and all the euphyllia have split(some a few times).

You're buying pods by the thousands.... I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you get worried, you can try feeding frozen (thawed) cyclopeeze to the tank as well, maybe while feeding pods if the mandarine goes into feeding frenzy mode when feeding pods.

I dunno, might be worth trying to get it on cyclopeeze if you're worried.

Great that everything is growing nicely!

ReefWreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2016, 08:03 AM   #313
soulpatch
Registered Member

Since moving to T5 I have seen incredible growth as well. I have some acans that were looking horrid (in my standards anyway) that have colored up nicely and have been shooting off heads. For the first time in my life I am able to get SPS to not only maintain good color but also to grow which is something I could never achieve in the nano.

Yes Reef - Even your bonsai is coming back to some deep purple colors. I have 2 other pieces I need to find the best spots for but all in all they are doing well and more importantly growing.

Homer I too was worried about pods. I had not seen any in my tank even after dumping in thousands. I know y wrasse eats some but I still figured I would have seen some especially with my refugium in the old sump. Since switching sumps though I have finally started to see the pods on my glass at night. I dont know what changed for them as I have a larger fuge but less algae in it right now but regardless I have pods. I too am banking on a mandy soon. I want to order in a pod soup from algaebarn yet to diversify some more and get my chateo going a bit more in the fuge before I bring one in though. I am excited to see some pics and hear of your successes.

Old 07/26/2016, 12:01 PM   #314
homer1475
Registered Member

I know I have pods, it's the only thing my leopard wrasse will eat, and shes quite fat!

I do see the mandy picking at things, but she looks slightly emaciated, which she did at the LFS also. I do have more pods ordered(I got a hell of a deal with a BOGO offer they were running)12K pods to be exact, so she will have plenty to eat shortly. Once I fatten her up, I'll assess the situation and either order more pods, or try to grow some chaeto again for them to breed in. I do see some larger pods hanging out on the algae thats growing on the marine pure plates, but nothing like I used to have.

Old 07/26/2016, 12:09 PM   #315
soulpatch
Registered Member

I must have missed the bogo as I looked and did not see anything. I have to place an order here eventually so hopefully another deal will pop up. If you used a code and remember it shoot it to me so I can give it a go.

Old 07/28/2016, 11:40 AM   #316
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:

I must have missed it, what did you add or do that gave you some massive growth?

Babydaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/28/2016, 04:19 PM   #317
homer1475
Registered Member

Just having stable parameters have caused my growth spurt.

But seriously, I think its the combination of the corals having more room to grow, the lights, and the amount of flow through my tank is what is really causing it, and getting this 2 part dosing down, FINALLY!

I did get to see my mandy this afternoon(she's been hunting inside the rock), and low and behold, she has a very fat belly! So she is definitely getting plenty to eat as she was very emaciated when I bought her. In just a weeks time she has definitely put some girth on.

The rock flower wandered around the tank for days to finally settle in a spot and die. It has wilted away to nothing and looks like a blob of jelly on my rocks.

Old 07/28/2016, 05:38 PM   #318
Rakie
Registered Member

Sucks about the Rock Anemone Homer, they're awesome looking critters.

So how much does your Alk swing daily? I'm still trying to get mine steady until I can afford a doser.

Old 07/29/2016, 06:11 AM   #319
homer1475
Registered Member

With steady constant dosing every hour on the hour, I get no swings. I dose ALK on the top of the hour, and calcium at the middle of the hour.

With that said, I'm dosing 5 fl. ounces, or 148ml.

Old 07/29/2016, 07:57 AM   #320
Rakie
Registered Member

Gotcha. I've been trying to dial in my 2-part but honestly my requirements are so low I'm just going to put 1 TSP of Kalk in my 3g ATO to start and see how that goes.

I mean, I'm rocking 10 SPS frags, 9 Zoa frags, and 1 Gorgonian. I dose 36ml a day, lol.

Old 07/30/2016, 01:18 PM   #321
homer1475
Registered Member

You know you can go up to 2tsp per gallon on kalk?

In my biocube, even with my heavy coral load, Kalk and weekly 5G WC's was all I needed.

Best way to determine if you need to dose(I prefer to start on mondays), bring your levels up to where you want them, then put your ATO with kalk online. Next monday test your water. If calcium and alkalinity are low, then dose them back up. Now test every couple days, and only dose what your alkalinity needs(IE if you need 4ml of alk, then also add 4ml of calcium regardless if your calcium checks out fine). You need to dose alk and calcium in unison or you'll end up with a ton of calcium precipitate.

Old 07/30/2016, 01:30 PM   #322
Rakie
Registered Member

Good to know Homer, thanks. 2tsp per gallon wont overdose my tank?

Old 07/30/2016, 01:42 PM   #323
homer1475
Registered Member

Nope.

2tsp is max saturation. You can up it to 3tsp(I believe, but don't quote me on it) if your adding vinegar to the ATO also. Pretty sure I read that on some thread sk8r started.

Kalk will not overdose anything. The only thing it can do is elevate your calcium and PH. Just had this happen a few weeks back when my float switch got stuck in the on position and dumped my entire 5G of saturated kalk water into my tank. I let it come down on its own(took like 3 days), and nothing is worse for the wear.

Thats why alot of us like to use KALK. It's pretty benign as far as chemicals we add to our reefs.

I do 2tsp of kalk along with daily dosing. I evap roughly 5G a week.

Old 07/30/2016, 05:44 PM   #324
Rakie
Registered Member

So do I have to make sure my ATO pump isn't on the bottom sucking up the thick Kalk slurry? Or does that not matter either?

Old 07/30/2016, 05:56 PM   #325
homer1475
Registered Member

I recently read a thread about that. I keep mine slightly elevated, and every third fill up (since I use the same ato jug every time) I just use plain RO/DI to help prevent buildup.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk