Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2018, 07:47 AM   #1
Icewing726
Registered Member

Lid for an eel

Hello, so I have a no top 150 gallon that I'm designing a top for. I'm planning on using glass panels but I also plan on putting eels in. Anyone know how heavy these panels should be to prevent an eel from pushing out?

Due to aesthetics I've ruled out mesh.

As an aside, has anyone measured the PAR difference between quarter and half inch glass?

Thanks!

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 07:59 AM   #2
Icewing726
Registered Member

Follow up question, whats the girth of a ribbon eel? Want to make sure my notches to fight condensation aren't too big.

Unread 04/12/2018, 10:39 AM   #3
jimbow
Registered Member

It is amazing how small a space they can get into. I had one go into the nozzle that is feeding water back into the tank from the sump. It is 1/8" x maybe 1 1/2". He couldn't get back out and died. I couldn't figure out where he went but never thought to look there.

jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Icewing726
Registered Member

The eel can fit in an eigth of an inch!?!

Do i need to keep it in a water balloon?

I think the slits for my overflow are that big... Whats your opinion on me having 1/8 to 1/4 in slits between lid panels to allow for some air flow?

Unread 04/12/2018, 12:54 PM   #5
jimbow
Registered Member

This was a skelator eel and I was very surprised it got in there. There are only 2 ways to get into that pipe and the other was through the pump. The body was in good shape so he didn't go into the pump. I think would might be ok with 1/4 x 1/4 squares but if you give it 1/4" x 1" it will get out I think. When I had a ribbon, I ran duct tape all along the edges of the glass taping them to the aquarium frame. I actually had a zebra moray hit the tape enough times to peel it back then it jumped. Happened while I was on vacation so I lost him.

jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 02:35 PM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

I used eggcrate on my Eel's tank, but he was a 4' Gymnothorax Undulatus, so there was no chance of him squeezing through. I also used 8-10lb chunks of dry rock on the corners. Turns out he didn't need to squeeze through - he just pushed his way past.

IMHO, a ribbon eel will go through something like eggcrate as easily as Hannibal got around it.

1/4" glass would be more than enough, but even the smallest holes are used as targets to aim for in their bid to escape.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote