Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2016, 05:12 PM   #1
potatocouch
Registered Member

Calling out all Anthias lovers out there ...

I just own a fish called fathead anthias and i understand it's a finicky eater. It has been taking frozen mysis and brine but at the moment I am target feeding it.

Very shy and hides a lot in the the live rocks.

Isn't fathead open swimmer?

Any other experience you can share to keep this expensive fish happy and alive?

Currently feeding 3 times a day, heavy feeding actually so a bit concern about water quality degradation. I did an additional WC just yesterday. Usually I would do it just once a week.

Tank is 55g with LPS & softies and 1x Kole, 2x Clowns.

I do have an oversized Tunze skimmer 9410.

potatocouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Ty1e
Registered Member

I have had the same experience with this fish, mine loved the underside of sps tables and overhangs, he didn't eat as much as the Bartlett's that I had but he didn't fade away because of it. Great fish, never bothered any other anthias I had.

Current Tank Info: 70 gal rimless
Ty1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2016, 05:32 PM   #3
m0nkie
Registered Member

This type of anthias is collected in the deeper, darker part of the ocean. They do not like too much lights. I've had Fatheads for a few years. At the beginning, they are very shy and hide alot. When fully acclimated, they will come out and swim around. They prefer to swim in shaded areas like overhangs. Mine would sleep under a large coral at night.

Unread 01/05/2016, 05:31 PM   #4
James983
Registered Member

I have one in my 180. He's in with a psycho Hippo Tang and Purple Tang so he has to really compete to get enough food. He's a great little fish who is out in front of the tank all day long. I would love to get a few more but I have read they are aggressive towards their own kind.

I found after several failed attempts at keeping the Fathead that the key to survival is picking a good one from the LFS. I know that applies to all fish generally but Anthias do not seem to ship well. So choose wisely. Make sure he's aggressively eating and not just picking before you purchase one.

James983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55g, anthias, fathead sunburst anthias, fish advice, sunburst