Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2019, 08:31 PM   #1
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Tunze 6150 (Stream 3) And Apex Progamming

If you've had luck programming your Stream 3 with your Apex, can you post the programs?

I've been trying to my Apex to make the Stream 3s pulse and I can't get it to work at all. I'm using the pump profile and setting the min from 0 up to 40 and the max at 100. I've tried on/off times of .3 seconds up to 15 seconds. No matter what program I do, the pump seems to be in constant mode.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 09:30 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

First off, do you have the Tunze controller set to “External Control” mode? You may already know this but just in case, there is an LED indicator on the Tunze controller that says External Control and you have to set that setting on the Tunze controller by pushing the select button repeatedly until you have it that mode for the 0-10v to control it. If so, are you sure you are using the correct variable speed ports that your programming is associated with? Is that variable speed outlet set to “Auto”? It needs to be for the program to work. Otherwise, setting to on will just have the Tunze run at full power and OFF will shut it OFF. If your Tunze is set to External Control mode, you should be able to toggle the variable speed outlet from ON to OFF and the Tunze should turn ON and OFF. If it doesn’t, you either have the wrong variable speed outlet selected. The 0-10v Din Cable isn’t plugged all the way into the Tunze controller or there could be something wrong with the cable or the 0-10v port on the Apex.

If you are in External Control mode and toggling the variable speed outlet from ON To OFF does turn the Tunze ON and OFF, post some screen shots of your 0-10v Profile and the Variable Speed outlet programming.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
First off, do you have the Tunze controller set to “External Control” mode? You may already know this but just in case, there is an LED indicator on the Tunze controller that says External Control and you have to set that setting on the Tunze controller by pushing the select button repeatedly until you have it that mode for the 0-10v to control it. If so, are you sure you are using the correct variable speed ports that your programming is associated with? Is that variable speed outlet set to “Auto”? It needs to be for the program to work. Otherwise, setting to on will just have the Tunze run at full power and OFF will shut it OFF. If your Tunze is set to External Control mode, you should be able to toggle the variable speed outlet from ON to OFF and the Tunze should turn ON and OFF. If it doesn’t, you either have the wrong variable speed outlet selected. The 0-10v Din Cable isn’t plugged all the way into the Tunze controller or there could be something wrong with the cable or the 0-10v port on the Apex.

If you are in External Control mode and toggling the variable speed outlet from ON To OFF does turn the Tunze ON and OFF, post some screen shots of your 0-10v Profile and the Variable Speed outlet programming.
Thanks for the help Scott. I actually copied your profiles and programming to a T, including all 3 timers, as my baseline. The slider shows the correct profile, wave1, wave2, rtsurge, leftsurge, night and duskdawn. It also shows the speed set by those profiles.

I am able to toggle the pumps on and off with the dashboard toggle switches. The variable speed does not work at all though. When I put my hand in front of the pump when it's "on" it feels like it's running at about 50%.

I pulled the rubber sheath back from the DIN connectors and it appears they make a good connection to the controller.

I'm using VS3/VS4 on my base unit.

Today I'm going to try moving them over to VS1/VS2 to see if that makes a difference.

Sent using Tapatalk

Unread 02/16/2019, 09:50 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
Thanks for the help Scott. I actually copied your profiles and programming to a T, including all 3 timers, as my baseline. The slider shows the correct profile, wave1, wave2, rtsurge, leftsurge, night and duskdawn. It also shows the speed set by those profiles.

I am able to toggle the pumps on and off with the dashboard toggle switches. The variable speed does not work at all though. When I put my hand in front of the pump when it's "on" it feels like it's running at about 50%.

I pulled the rubber sheath back from the DIN connectors and it appears they make a good connection to the controller.

I'm using VS3/VS4 on my base unit.

Today I'm going to try moving them over to VS1/VS2 to see if that makes a difference.

Sent using Tapatalk
So I assume you have the Tunze controller set to Extrnal Control? And you say you can toggle the Tunze’s ON and OFF. I assume you are talking about toggling the variable speed outlet and not the EB8 outlet?

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 02/16/2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
So I assume you have the Tunze controller set to Extrnal Control? And you say you can toggle the Tunze’s ON and OFF. I assume you are talking about toggling the variable speed outlet and not the EB8 outlet?
Yes, set to external and I can toggle them on and off using the variable speed outlet/slider on the local dashboard. Also, when I set the outlet to ON and then manually change the variable speed, nothing happens from 100 down to 1 but when it goes to 0 the pumps go off.

Here is a pic of the sliders. The left pump is off. The right pump is on, but definitely not 100%. Maybe 40-50.

Here are my outlet and profiles

Unread 02/16/2019, 10:14 AM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, set to external and I can toggle them on and off using the variable speed outlet/slider on the local dashboard. Also, when I set the outlet to ON and then manually change the variable speed, nothing happens from 100 down to 1 but when it goes to 0 the pumps go off.

Here is a pic of the sliders. The left pump is off. The right pump is on, but definitely not 100%. Maybe 40-50.

Here are my outlet and profiles

Hmm. Maybe try changing the minimum of 30% to 50% and the maximum to 100% and see if that makes a difference. I don’t know if the Stream 3 has a minimum voltage that it needs to work but 3-% or 3v may be too low a voltage. Or better yet, try a minimum percentage of 0 and see if the pump turns on and off when the variable speed outles are set to auto. With 0 as the minimum, the pump should go from off to on every 10 seconds. That at least would be a good test since it seems that the variable speed outlets are working when you toggle them from ON to OFF.

Unread 02/16/2019, 10:52 AM   #7
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Hmm. Maybe try changing the minimum of 30% to 50% and the maximum to 100% and see if that makes a difference. I don’t know if the Stream 3 has a minimum voltage that it needs to work but 3-% or 3v may be too low a voltage. Or better yet, try a minimum percentage of 0 and see if the pump turns on and off when the variable speed outles are set to auto. With 0 as the minimum, the pump should go from off to on every 10 seconds. That at least would be a good test since it seems that the variable speed outlets are working when you toggle them from ON to OFF.

Interesting. I just pushed the DIN connectors in harder and things seem to be working, at least with the duskdawn profile. The Stream 3s do have a minimum. At 0, and 3 second intervals, they do not turn off but rather they go down to maybe 20%. It takes them 10 seconds to turn off.
They are also 6.5v so 65 and 100 yield the same 100% power.

I tested 3 second intervals and 30 second intervals with the duskdawn profile and they are working.

Can't believe I've spent hours on this and just pushing them in much harder than I expected (or normally would think is the hardest to push), seems to have solved it.

Thanks for the help as usual! From my a360s to my LX7s and my pump profiles, my tank tank is like a progeny of yours!

Unread 02/16/2019, 11:23 AM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Interesting. I just pushed the DIN connectors in harder and things seem to be working, at least with the duskdawn profile. The Stream 3s do have a minimum. At 0, and 3 second intervals, they do not turn off but rather they go down to maybe 20%. It takes them 10 seconds to turn off.
They are also 6.5v so 65 and 100 yield the same 100% power.

I tested 3 second intervals and 30 second intervals with the duskdawn profile and they are working.

Can't believe I've spent hours on this and just pushing them in much harder than I expected (or normally would think is the hardest to push), seems to have solved it.

Thanks for the help as usual! From my a360s to my LX7s and my pump profiles, my tank tank is like a progeny of yours!
Great to hear and very glad to help! I know those din cables can be a bit fussy. Been there done that. Usually pushing the sleeve back a bit and pushing them in hand enough does the trick. Glad you get them working!