Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2006, 04:54 PM   #1
lessans
Registered Member

Do you find the Long Tentacle Anemone Less difficult to care for than BTA?

Do you find the Long Tentacle Anemone Less difficult to care for than BTA? Today, I spoke with a LFS employee of a reputable LFS known for its excellent coral selection. I was asking her about Bulb Tip Anemones and that I wasn't sure my power compact lights over a 65 gal tank would accomodate this anemone well. They have at least 15 anemones in stock and all their tanks are lit by MH. All their Bubble Tip Anemones were at the bottom of the tank because of the brightness. Anyway the point here about the lights is the employee said Long Tentacle anemones would do fine in my tank and would in fact best be kept right next to the substrate. Before I go on I would like you to realize that I have 2.95 watts/ gallon in my tank and the lighting gets dimmer as the tank gets deeper. Would a long tentacle anemone be okay in this kind of lighting and would a bubble tip anemone also be okay in this kind of lighting? Which is easier for a beginning anemone keeper--a LTA or a BTA?

Current Tank Info: current tank: 20 gal reef; former tanks: 65 gal reef, 10 gal freshwater
lessans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2006, 12:24 AM   #2
55semireef
Moved On

BTAs are much more forgiving than an LTA or any anemone for that matter. LTAs need T5s or Mh for lighting. PC doesn't provide the right PAR for LTAs to do well.

I would say your on the low side to keep any anemone even a BTA. I would upgrade your lights because I honestly don't think you have enough light. JMHO and from experience.

55semireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2006, 10:52 AM   #3
lessans
Registered Member

Come on there has to be more than one person with an opinion on this subject.

Current Tank Info: current tank: 20 gal reef; former tanks: 65 gal reef, 10 gal freshwater
Unread 10/01/2006, 11:42 AM   #4
JamesJR
Registered Member

Well, how many of what type of bulb do you have? I am guessing you are using 2X96 watt lamps. I think it is a little on the low side for anemones but I think it can be done without MH. I would definately feed the anemone a couple times a week.
I would say the BTA is easiest anemone by a long shot. Chances are you will have better luck with them. An advantage is that they can reproduce asexually and you can get a whole bunch of them from just one.
LTA are definately keepable as I have had one long term but they are more delicate and don't take to shipping as well as the BTA. They spread out and take up a lot of room, need a sand bed because they bury their foot in the sand.
I had one for years in a 30 gallon tank which I ran with 4X95 VHO lamps. I fed it regularly and replaced the bulbs frequently.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon
JamesJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2006, 12:54 PM   #5
55semireef
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesJR
Well, how many of what type of bulb do you have? I am guessing you are using 2X96 watt lamps. I think it is a little on the low side for anemones but I think it can be done without MH. I would definately feed the anemone a couple times a week.
I would say the BTA is easiest anemone by a long shot. Chances are you will have better luck with them. An advantage is that they can reproduce asexually and you can get a whole bunch of them from just one.
LTA are definately keepable as I have had one long term but they are more delicate and don't take to shipping as well as the BTA. They spread out and take up a lot of room, need a sand bed because they bury their foot in the sand.
I had one for years in a 30 gallon tank which I ran with 4X95 VHO lamps. I fed it regularly and replaced the bulbs frequently.
Well overall, I would say Condy anemone but we're talking about clown anemones. So yes, the easiest clown anemone to care for would be a BTA.

The thing is with anemones, you don't want to provide the minimum lighting to "get by." You want to provide the optimal so it can thus thrive.

If this is your first anemone ever, definately go with a BTA but from my past experience, I would atleast upgrade to stronger PCs. BTAS can thrive under PCs but the PCs have to give off enough light for that to work.

If you were to get an LTA, it would die. LTAs need MH, or T5s with the individual reflectors. VHO can work too but your going to need a lot more bulbs when compared to T5.

Just my .02

Unread 10/01/2006, 02:25 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

BTA would be better suited for those lights.
Although I have had both my sebae and LTA under PC's for 4 years before upgrading to my T-5 MH combo.
They've always looked healthy(pics in gallery) but they do seem happier with the new brighter lighting.
With what I know now, I do agree with not getting by with the minimum.
Just keep in mind they do get big, and you'll need space between them and your corals.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2006, 02:29 PM   #7
reefarmer
Registered Member

the LTA needs more light for sure, mine is doing much better since i upgraded to a MH, my other tank has T5 and i am plannign on putting a BTa in that even though i believe a LTA would do fine.

reefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2006, 02:43 PM   #8
lessans
Registered Member

I can't afford any kind of lighting upgrade right now. I'm only in high school and the next possible fixture I would buy costs $200 more than the fixture I own now. Plus I wouldn't get back all the 300 something dolars I spent on my PC fixture and I'm going to college next year so it doesn't seem cost effective to upgrade lights just for an anemone that might not get along with my corals.

Unread 10/01/2006, 03:19 PM   #9
55semireef
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by lessans
I can't afford any kind of lighting upgrade right now. I'm only in high school and the next possible fixture I would buy costs $200 more than the fixture I own now. Plus I wouldn't get back all the 300 something dolars I spent on my PC fixture and I'm going to college next year so it doesn't seem cost effective to upgrade lights just for an anemone that might not get along with my corals.
Getting a job would help.

Unread 10/01/2006, 05:21 PM   #10
JamesJR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Well overall, I would say Condy anemone but we're talking about clown anemones. So yes, the easiest clown anemone to care for would be a BTA.

The thing is with anemones, you don't want to provide the minimum lighting to "get by." You want to provide the optimal so it can thus thrive.

I never said anything about Condy anemones, besides he never asked anything about these other species. Besides there are easier ones than even the condy but that isn't what we are talkin about.
Don't get me wrong because I do agree with you 100% about stronger lighting being necessary.
55semireef, have you ever thought about using a retrofit kit and then making your own hood?

Unread 10/01/2006, 05:44 PM   #11
55semireef
Moved On

Quote:
I never said anything about Condy anemones, besides he never asked anything about these other species. Besides there are easier ones than even the condy but that isn't what we are talkin about.
Don't get me wrong because I do agree with you 100% about stronger lighting being necessary.
55semireef, have you ever thought about using a retrofit kit and then making your own hood?
I know you never said anything about Condy anemones, I was just giving an example of an easier anemone to consider before jumping right into the clown anemones.

Quote:
Why would you ask me this. I already have a Tek T5 lighting fixture. ?????

Unread 10/01/2006, 06:27 PM   #12
sarahkucera
Registered Member

The BTA is better suited to your small tank size, although your lighting leaves a bit to be desired.

I'm at 3.75 watts per gallon on a 125 gallon tank, and if I had less lighting I would not have considered getting any sort of anemone. You should upgrade your lighting before getting an anemone. An anemone under less than sufficient lighting will die a slow and painful death, frequently taking months to die.

You should also consider that anemones are long living creatures, and it sounds like you're going to be going off to college soon. What's going to happen to your tank when you go to college? Are you not moving and going to a local college? Are you moving and someone is going to take daily care of your tank while you're away? Are you taking it with you when you move?

sarahkucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2006, 06:31 PM   #13
JamesJR
Registered Member

Yeah I agree. I remember working at a LFS and boy throughout the whole hobby these anemones are abused and poorly understood. You wouldn't believe what people do to them or what they think constitutes proper care for them. They get pretty large and They actually need pretty strong lighting to thrive. They have many of the same needs as other anemones.
Oh, Sorry. I meant to ask Lessans if he had considered building a DIY fixture. How are the Tek 5's anyways? I have had MH's, VHO PC's but never tried t-5's. going to try them on my 55 when I set it up again

Unread 10/01/2006, 08:01 PM   #14
55semireef
Moved On

Quote:
[B
Oh, Sorry. I meant to ask Lessans if he had considered building a DIY fixture. How are the Tek 5's anyways? I have had MH's, VHO PC's but never tried t-5's. going to try them on my 55 when I set it up again [/B]
They are working out great for me. They run cooler than my old PCs that had about the same wattage of my T5s now. The tek T5s also put out an immense amount of light especially with those individual reflectors they have. Great lighting system.

Unread 10/01/2006, 08:42 PM   #15
JamesJR
Registered Member

That is what seems to be the consensus. I loved my VHO's but when I switched over to MH I saw much better growth. I am going to try t-5;s because it sounds like they are a nice compromise between the two types of lighting.

Unread 10/02/2006, 01:49 PM   #16
lessans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Getting a job would help.
I don't have time for one with the classes I'm taking and my extracurricular activities.

Quote:
Originally posted by sarahkucera
What's going to happen to your tank when you go to college? Are you not moving and going to a local college? Are you moving and someone is going to take daily care of your tank while you're away? Are you taking it with you when you move?
I'm selling all living creatures in tank and rocks. I'm keeping all equipment, stand, and tank. And no I'm not going to a local college. I live in Marietta, GA and I want to go to Tufts University in Medford, MA about 5 miles from Boston.

Unread 10/02/2006, 09:24 PM   #17
55semireef
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by lessans
I don't have time for one with the classes I'm taking and my extracurricular activities.
I am a senior in highschool too. I am taking three college classesm in two extraurricular activities and I am on our swim team and will be doing waterpolo soon and I have a job and a social life at that. I bet you could do it too.

Unread 10/02/2006, 09:46 PM   #18
JamesJR
Registered Member

When I was in high school I went to a magnet school and had to wake up at 6 everyday to take the bus and had went to work after school and then study for ap classes and had to work every single weekend.
Working defintately is good for you because you learn excellent time management skills. I wasn't the smartest kid in college but
the discipline I gained from my work experience are why I got my biochemistry degree at the top of my class.
Have you every thought of getting a part time job at a LFS? That is what I did. You get paid to take care of corals and fish so what could be cooler than that?

Unread 10/03/2006, 07:14 PM   #19
55semireef
Moved On

I work at an LFS too.

Unread 10/03/2006, 10:39 PM   #20
JamesJR
Registered Member

Awesome. What do you want to study in college and what do you want to do?

Unread 10/04/2006, 04:09 PM   #21
55semireef
Moved On

Quote:
Awesome. What do you want to study in college and what do you want to do?
University of Florida and study Veterinary medicine.

So lessans, have you made any recent decisions based on your first post?

Unread 10/07/2006, 07:34 PM   #22
lessans
Registered Member

Yes. No, anemone. If you guys are trying to make me feel capable of having a job with my classes and extracurriculars you're not helping. It only makes me feel bad ok. Besides The local fish store has had my application since the end of my sophomore year. The reason they haven't hired me is because the people working at the store have had many more years in the hobby than me, so the employer gets more experience per dollar he pays them than if he hired me. I'm starting to look for jobs now. The reason I haven't had a summer job is because every summer I've been away from home for at least 2 consecutive weeks and I don't think my new employer would like it too much if I am gone within the first month of being hired. Do you see where I'm coming from?

Unread 10/07/2006, 08:38 PM   #23
davocean
Registered Member

Dude, this is just a hobby.
College will help you have a good life, and afford a killer system later when the time is right.
You're doing the right thing.
Just keep your hobby simple for now.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2006, 10:09 PM   #24
JamesJR
Registered Member

Dude, sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. Have fun with your tank cause that is what it is about.

Unread 10/07/2006, 11:35 PM   #25
lessans
Registered Member

Honestly I would have bought MH if I did have a job that started out in the summer between my sophomore and junior year, but that's not the case.