Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2016, 07:34 PM   #26
Smoke Inator
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz132 View Post
Smoke, i found the exact same design. I was going to have a friend make one.. After seeing what Scurvy posted, I'm glad I just went and purchased some lexan instead. I have yet to tear down the lid. Scurvy is there room to put a 2nd fan in there or would it even need it?
I'm going to do the same...get some lexan.
i plan on putting in high end leds for sps after the 1st so ill probably do two fans if they fit

Smoke Inator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2016, 08:43 PM   #27
Scurvy Dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Smoke, i found the exact same design. I was going to have a friend make one.. After seeing what Scurvy posted, I'm glad I just went and purchased some lexan instead. I have yet to tear down the lid. Scurvy is there room to put a 2nd fan in there or would it even need it?
There's plenty of room for another fan. Not sure how you would mount a second fan though since there is only mounting posts for a single fan other than poking some holes in the top of the hood. Also, it is only set up for wiring one fan. I suppose if you know a little about electronics you could figure out how to wire a second fan.

I can't really feel a whole lot of heat coming from the vents when the lights are on so I suspect a second fan wouldn't do much.

Scurvy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2016, 03:00 PM   #28
Blitz132
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy Dawg View Post
There's plenty of room for another fan. Not sure how you would mount a second fan though since there is only mounting posts for a single fan other than poking some holes in the top of the hood. Also, it is only set up for wiring one fan. I suppose if you know a little about electronics you could figure out how to wire a second fan.

I can't really feel a whole lot of heat coming from the vents when the lights are on so I suspect a second fan wouldn't do much.
I'm going to hold off on the 2nd fan for now. I was thinking I could make another adapter out of lexan and epoxy it to the underside of the lid if I ever did need one..

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." Mark Twain

Current Tank Info: Biocube 32 LED
Blitz132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2016, 06:39 PM   #29
Mustangarrett
Registered Member

I received my hood replacement today. It's much quieter. My original hood was at least thrice as loud. The new hood is still a bit louder than I would expect (inside the specs of a properly operating fan), but it's a entirely constant sound. No more intermittent soft grinding sound.

Mustangarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2016, 07:36 PM   #30
Blitz132
Registered Member

So they just gave you a new hood and you didn't have to send your other one back?
On a side note, I installed my new fan yesterday.. can't even hear it. Took it back apart to make sure it was even working.. lol

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." Mark Twain

Unread 12/22/2016, 02:13 AM   #31
skiingfast
Registered Member

Curious. How do you mounted a taller fan? Are the stock screws extra long so it can accommodate a centimeter taller fan?

skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 08:09 AM   #32
Scurvy Dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Curious. How do you mounted a taller fan? Are the stock screws extra long so it can accommodate a centimeter taller fan?
I ended up cutting the mounting posts down with a dremmel and used a shorter screw.

Unread 12/22/2016, 09:54 AM   #33
Mustangarrett
Registered Member

They sent the new hood with a return label.

Mustangarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 10:19 AM   #34
Scurvy Dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
I misunderstood your question with my other post, but it still applies that you probably have to cut the mounting posts down.

But to answer your question, the thicker fans do not have a solid housing. The screw does not need to be as thick as the fan, in fact, you will probably need a shorter screw.

Unread 12/22/2016, 08:27 PM   #35
Blitz132
Registered Member

Quote:
The fan I bought has these rubber anti-vibration plugs that I used instead of screws on 3 of the holes. I will try to explain what I did. I didn't have to cut down my mounting posts at all with a 60mmx25mm fan..

1.) I used a piece of lexan about 3.5" x 3/5". I set the lexan in the very far corner where the center tab/lip is located and the back of the hood.
2.) I aligned one mounting hole in the hood with 1 mounting hole in the new fan. This if course will only work for one of the holes.
3.) I then marked the mounting post across from that point on the lexan.
4.) I then drew a 60mm circle based on mounting the new fan with the shared hole with the hood.
5.) You will then notice that the mark for the mounting post across from where the fan/lexan/mounting post will be attached is inside that circle.
6.) I drew a tab around that mark so I did not cut it out when cutting the circle out in the lexan.
7.) Cut the circle out without cutting where the 2nd mounting point to the hood would be.
8.) I then test fit the fan/lexan to the hood and marked the other 3 holes that need drilled to mount the lexan to the new 60mm fan.
9.) I then pushed the 3 rubber plugs through the lexan.
10.)I then mounted the lexan to the hood using a smaller screw. This is the hole that has the tab I didn't cut out when doing the circle.
11.) I pushed the plastic plugs through the fan and locked them in.
12.) Lastly I installed a screw in the hole that lines up the fan/lexan/ and the mounting tab in the hood.

I only used the .093 thick lexan and when I was done, the fan was no higher than that divider that is built into the hood.

Unread 12/24/2016, 03:12 PM   #36
skiingfast
Registered Member

^^^ great reply. Thank you.

What would be a low decibel rating for a 50-60mm fan?

Unread 12/24/2016, 07:04 PM   #37
Blitz132
Registered Member

Stock is about 36ish. Below 20 would be optimal.. I would just make sure the flow is 12 or more..

Unread 12/25/2016, 05:37 PM   #38
Scurvy Dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
^^^ great reply. Thank you.

What would be a low decibel rating for a 50-60mm fan?
The fan I bought was rated at about 10 decibels compared to close to 30 for the stock fan. You literally cannot hear my fan unless you put your ear to the vents. The key is to find a fan with similar CFM at a lower RPM.

Unread 12/25/2016, 06:48 PM   #39
skiingfast
Registered Member

Quote:
Stock is about 36ish. Below 20 would be optimal.. I would just make sure the flow is 12 or more..
Quote:
The fan I bought was rated at about 10 decibels compared to close to 30 for the stock fan. You literally cannot hear my fan unless you put your ear to the vents. The key is to find a fan with similar CFM at a lower RPM.
Thanks. I'll keep looking I came across a few but they fall in about 25Dba so I'll keep looking.

Unread 12/25/2016, 07:06 PM   #40
Blitz132
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'll keep looking I came across a few but they fall in about 25Dba so I'll keep looking.
Check out skurvy & my previous posts in this thread.. we list a couple that are what you're looking for.. all of them should be under $20 on ebay/amazon

Unread 12/26/2016, 02:24 PM   #41
Scurvy Dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Also keep in mind, that alot of the higher end 60mm fans will come with a 3rd wire. I think this wire is for monitoring the fan rpm. For your use, just leave the 3rd wire unconnected.

Unread 12/26/2016, 03:22 PM   #42
skiingfast
Registered Member

Quote:
Also keep in mind, that alot of the higher end 60mm fans will come with a 3rd wire. I think this wire is for monitoring the fan rpm. For your use, just leave the 3rd wire unconnected.
Isn't the 3rd wire the grounding wire?

Unread 12/26/2016, 03:24 PM   #43
skiingfast
Registered Member

Quote:
skurvy
I looked at the synthe fans. But what is a Skurvy is that a spell check error?

Unread 12/26/2016, 03:56 PM   #44
Blitz132
Registered Member

Quote:
I looked at the synthe fans. But what is a Skurvy is that a spell check error?
Lol it's one of the people posting in this thread..

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Unread 12/26/2016, 03:57 PM   #45
Blitz132
Registered Member

Scurvy is the correct spelling of his name .

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Unread 02/20/2017, 01:59 AM   #46
skiingfast
Registered Member

You who got the Silenx 60mm fans. Did it have a short cable, 4" and was that a problem?

And is it correct to assume you just soldered the wires together?

What did you do with the extra wires, just tape them off?

Unread 02/20/2017, 01:14 PM   #47
Scurvy Dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
You who got the Silenx 60mm fans. Did it have a short cable, 4" and was that a problem?

And is it correct to assume you just soldered the wires together?

What did you do with the extra wires, just tape them off?
I just cut the wire from the old fan and spliced the end that connects to the hood to the wires that came with the fan. The third wire I just cut close to the fan and put some electrical tape on the end. No soldering for me.

Unread 02/20/2017, 01:32 PM   #48
Smoke Inator
Registered Member

The third wire is used to transmit the RPM speed of the fan back to the PC motherboard and not needed in our setups

Smoke Inator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 06:01 PM   #49
skiingfast
Registered Member

Thanks guys.

I also found a fan for sale on ebay for $7.50
GTD 50x50x10
20CFM
16Dba
3,000RPM

It also says
15CFM
18Dba
4,500 RPM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50mm-10mm-12...oAAOSw4shYBz9u

Unread 11/02/2017, 05:59 PM   #50
JOSEA42
Registered Member

Confused - my BioCube 32 does not have a fan???

Bought it on Amazon during the past 30 days or so.

Is this b/c new lights in 32 gal. models run cooler and no longer require an exhaust fan?

I was looking for a fan when I saw one on my fish shop's BioCube.

Is this built-in - or not built-in - based on how new the model is?

JOSEA42 is offline   Reply With Quote