Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2017, 03:21 AM   #1
niladride
Registered Member

Getting electric shock in aquarium water

Hi all,

For last couple of weeks I am getting electric shock when I put my hand in the aquarium water. I do not get shocks from aquarium light or sump light, no shock from touching the glass.

But I do get shock when I touch the water, specially at night when the shock is significant, most of the time, there is just a little shivering in the fingers when I touch the water. Sometimes no shock at all.

Please suggest how to resolve this issue, or how fatal is it for the livestock?

niladride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 03:46 AM   #2
ajm83
Registered Member

Check your heaters for cracks.

ajm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 04:15 AM   #3
niladride
Registered Member

^Thanks for replying, will do that surely.

Anything else that I should do? How dangerous is the shock for fishes? Do they feel the shock at all?

Unread 01/10/2017, 04:37 AM   #4
MiddletoM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niladride View Post
^Thanks for replying, will do that surely.

Anything else that I should do?
Check all the power cords where they enter the submerged equipment. The cable of my old eheim compact went hard and slightly brittle and exposed the bare wires. Was like touching an electric fence when I put my hand in the water. fortunately I had no livestock in at the time.

MiddletoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 05:22 AM   #5
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

The live stock are not in danger. They are not grounded, like birds on an electric line.
You, on the other hand, are risking severe injury or death.
Get a multimeter and test every piece of equipment.
Turn off everything and test the tank. Turn on each item until you find the culprit. If you are not sure how to do this, pay an electrician to do it for you.
Today.

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 06:30 AM   #6
niladride
Registered Member

^

Yes surely will do that asap. Thanks for suggesting.

Unread 01/10/2017, 06:50 AM   #7
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

I had this same thing happen from a Koralia power head. It wasnt in the cord, but somehow from the power head itself. Not sure if the epoxy they used around the motor cracked or what. All of my equipment was on separate switches, so I just switched each one off one at a time. Stupid me I just kept sticking my hand in the water until I found it. I should had used a multi-meter, but Im stubborn and just kept taking the shock, which was more of a tingle in my case. I do not recommend doing it that way! LOL

Str8linespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 07:00 AM   #8
niladride
Registered Member

^

Yes that is the last thing in this galaxy you should try out willingly, that too multiple times.

Thanks for replying.

Unread 01/10/2017, 07:34 AM   #9
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Another thing to consider is this. Some people (myself for example) are very sensitive to salt and it can feel like you are being shocked when touching the edge or putting your hand in the water, when in reality the salt is biting you. The biggest way to tell the difference is a salt shock will bite. It's sharp and painful, where is a low level current will often "hum" or "tingle" like a buzzer. I have found that the biggest sources for in tank electric current shock are wave makers. They tend to lose their seal, especially if the cord is stiff. I've had two hydor wave makers lose their seal on me and both times I got a little "buzz" when I touched the water. To my knowledge there is no way to repair these, so you just have to take them out.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 08:12 AM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

All submerged line powered equipment should be on a GFCI/RCD device..
You should install one ASAP.. Then plug each piece of equipment into it one at a time.. If it trips then whatever you just plugged in is faulty and should be replaced..

Unread 01/10/2017, 08:15 AM   #11
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
All submerged line powered equipment should be on a GFCI/RCD device..
You should install one ASAP.. Then plug each piece of equipment into it one at a time.. If it trips then whatever you just plugged in is faulty and should be replaced..
This is true, you should have a GFI installed. Although sometimes it may not be enough current to actually trip the GFI. I've seen it many times.

Str8linespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 08:27 AM   #12
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

If the GFCI is in working order, and you can feel the electricity, then it will trip. Otherwise it's probably not an actual electrical current rather salt shock biting you.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 08:34 AM   #13
niladride
Registered Member

^

I will have a read of GFCI first before going to the shop, need to understand it beforehand myself as I am not sure my electrician will recognize the term.

Thanks to all for the help.

Unread 01/10/2017, 09:47 AM   #14
nereefpat
Registered Member

Please do. Can be purchased at most hardware stores for about 15$.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 09:52 AM   #15
alcimedes
Registered Member

you can even get external GFI connectors. Plug into the wall and you have three instant GFI outlets.

that being said, in the winter time I can get a shock when I touch the water in my tank, I presumed it was from dry air.

Do you keep getting shocked, or is it more one and done? When I've had faulty equipment that was leaking voltage into the water the water would tingle when you put your hand in there consistently.

If it's just a static discharge like when I touch a light switch, I get one shock then nothing.

alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 11:33 AM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
^

I will have a read of GFCI first before going to the shop, need to understand it beforehand myself as I am not sure my electrician will recognize the term.

Thanks to all for the help.

In your area (India) I believe they are commonly called RCD (called GFCI in the US,etc..) devices.. You can either replace the breaker that feeds that whole circuit with an RCD/GFCI or replace just the outlet with a RCD/GFCI outlet or the easiest method for someone like yourself is to simply get a device with RCD protection that plugs right into the existing outlet..
Just like this..But applicable for your country/outlets.. Any good hardware or electrical supply house "should" have them but I have NO idea about availability of even a hardware store in India..
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tower-Man...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unread 01/10/2017, 11:55 AM   #17
Hoggwild
Registered Member

A Multimeter alone amy (probably WILL) give you a false positive. You need a leakage current tester OR make a shunt for the MM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbyrnes View Post
The live stock are not in danger. They are not grounded, like birds on an electric line.
Turn off everything and test the tank. Turn on each item until you find the culprit. If you are not sure how to do this, pay an electrician to do it for you.
Today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot from 2017-01-10 12-54-18.jpg (53.4 KB, 28 views)
Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 12:18 PM   #18
jgln
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbyrnes View Post
Today.
This has always concerned me when putting my hands in the tank. I do have everything plugged into a GFI device but I also bought a probe you put in the tank water that plugs into a wall outlet but only has the ground pin. I believe this is supposed to send to ground any stray voltage in the water.

Does this really help? Do you think it would trip the GFI or just hide any stray voltage.

Current Tank Info: 125g reef with 30g sump/fuge
jgln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 12:39 PM   #19
Hoggwild
Registered Member

I read or watched a video somewhere (and cant remember) advising AGAINST a GFI because it may be accidentally tripped and then goodbye fish.
For instance, DONT put your fridge on a GFI as it WILL eventually false trip it. A word of advice from my electrician friend. I didnt listen and bad food twice. Had to change the outlet.
SO, GFI or no GFI? I would think if everything is properly grounded and perhaps a ground anode in the water/.
I'm thinking about the NEC codes for swimming pools, all metal and even THE WATER must be bonded.(every damn thing is on the same ground potential) The pool however NEC insists on GFCI outlet OR breaker.

All you seasoned reefers, I would like some more input on this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
This has always concerned me when putting my hands in the tank. I do have everything plugged into a GFI device but I also bought a probe you put in the tank water that plugs into a wall outlet but only has the ground pin. I believe this is supposed to send to ground any stray voltage in the water.

Does this really help? Do you think it would trip the GFI or just hide any stray voltage.

Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 12:52 PM   #20
niladride
Registered Member

Well we have something called mcp switch in our house, each room has its own mcp, if over voltage occurs, the circuit breaker kicks in and the switch falls down. Just pulling the switch up again establishes the connection once more.

I am visiting hardware store tomorrow morning and hope I will find something useful like gfci.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Unread 01/10/2017, 12:53 PM   #21
niladride
Registered Member

Btw, I like the idea of grounding the tank. Proper earthing should take care of the current leakage I believe.

Unread 01/10/2017, 01:10 PM   #22
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggwild View Post
I read or watched a video somewhere (and cant remember) advising AGAINST a GFI because it may be accidentally tripped and then goodbye fish.
For instance, DONT put your fridge on a GFI as it WILL eventually false trip it. A word of advice from my electrician friend. I didnt listen and bad food twice. Had to change the outlet.
SO, GFI or no GFI? I would think if everything is properly grounded and perhaps a ground anode in the water/.
I'm thinking about the NEC codes for swimming pools, all metal and even THE WATER must be bonded.(every damn thing is on the same ground potential) The pool however NEC insists on GFCI outlet OR breaker.

All you seasoned reefers, I would like some more input on this too.
If you rank the life of your fish/corals greater than your own life then don't use a GFCI.. But I'd hope we all value our lives more..
All it takes is one fault to develop in a heater or pump and you could get electrocuted and die..
My life is worth FAR more than the sum of any corals/fish I've ever had in any tank combined..

I've been using GFCI devices as long as I've had fish tanks (25+ years) and NEVER had a single GFCI false trip..

A fridge is also totally different than a bucket of water you are placing your hands into with line powered equipment submerged in it..

Unread 01/10/2017, 01:11 PM   #23
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Btw, I like the idea of grounding the tank. Proper earthing should take care of the current leakage I believe.
NO.. Do NOT ground the tank water...
Install a GFCI/RCD device... NOTHING else.. Thats your only goal now..

Unread 01/10/2017, 01:48 PM   #24
jcjrogers
Registered Member

GFCI is a 100% must. However, why not use a grounding probe as well? When I was in the hobby mid-90's - early 2000's, most everybody grounded the tank (and used GFCI). If I remember correctly, stray voltage was thought to cause HLE and other problems so everybody used a grounding probe.

jcjrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 02:55 PM   #25
jgln
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
NO.. Do NOT ground the tank water...
Install a GFCI/RCD device... NOTHING else.. Thats your only goal now..
Yes, why not ground the tank??

Current Tank Info: 125g reef with 30g sump/fuge
jgln is offline   Reply With Quote