Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2018, 05:18 AM   #1
metasyntactic
Registered Member

Wasteline Plumbing

I'm looking at putting a large tank in my basement and I'd really like to have waste and waterlines plumbed in, unfortunately this tank is on the opposite side of my basement as all my plumbing (all of my plumbing runs along a single wall). I don't think running plumbing along the perimeter of my basement is feasible. Thankfully, the wall I want to set my tank against is the foundation wall to my back yard.

Our neighborhood has french drains running the perimeter of the neighborhood that dumps into the sewers. I've gotten permission from the HOA to connect to their drains. I was playing with the idea of running a saltwater resistant sump pump or some other pump (I don't think a sewage ejector would be necessary) to pump water through a drain line that runs up the wall, through it, and to that french drain.

I'm wondering if people can recommend pumps that might work or, if this is a stupid idea, offer me some advice. I don't mind getting my hands dirty though obviously I'll leave drilling the foundation and connecting pipe to the french drains to a professional.

metasyntactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 09:55 AM   #2
markfortkamp
Registered Member

When i do my water changes i have it go directly to my Sump. i didn't change out the sump pump for "salt water safe" and it has worked well for over a year. now, i live in an area that is not prone to flooding, so if it ever did malfunction not sure if i would be able to know (the lid is sealed for some reason). But, when i do water changes i hear the sump kick in..... so i assume all is well.

hope that helps.

markfortkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 12:00 PM   #3
coral49
Registered Member

I have run waste water into the sump for 7 years and about every 3 years I have to replace pump due to corrosion. The pump is $250 each time I change myself. The high resistant model was way more. Like 1500 if I recall correctly. Figured that’s a lot of cheap pumps and time before I break even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coral49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 08:06 AM   #4
metasyntactic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coral49 View Post
I have run waste water into the sump for 7 years and about every 3 years I have to replace pump due to corrosion. The pump is $250 each time I change myself. The high resistant model was way more. Like 1500 if I recall correctly. Figured that’s a lot of cheap pumps and time before I break even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dumping into the sump isn't an option for me. My sump is on the same side of the house as the rest of the plumbing. There is no easy way to move the water from the side I want my aquarium to that side. That's why I'm considering pumping outside the house and to the french drain outside. That drain empties into the sewers.

metasyntactic is offline   Reply With Quote