Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2008, 11:29 PM   #1
ZCCRX
Registered Member

Adding Live Beach Sand?

I was at the beach the other day and the sand was so pretty that I took a two gal bucket of it home. The sand was from in the water, right where the waves break, and it's full of very pretty color and textures. I topped the bucket off with some sea water, put a lid on it, and brought it home. It has been sitting on my work bench and there are little sand crabs swimming around at the top and burying themselves at the surface of the sand even after sitting there for three days.

I guess that it is not safe to add this sand to an established tank, right? How can I make it safe to add? I was thinking about soaking the sand for a few weeks in distilled water with some aeration, to sort of cure it and kill the life in it. Or is it ok to add it while it's "live". BTW the sand was collected off of Longboat Key in FL and the water was pristine. The sand and water looked so nice that you could have probably set up a tank instantly with what was there.

ZCCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 12:38 AM   #2
Playa-1
Moved On

There's always a chance that it could be poluted. So I guess it's up to you. To give you an idea I took a metal detector down to a beautiful beach in So Cal and all I could find was rusty nails all up and down a beautiful white sandy beach.
I've seen the Florida water it is really pretty. I could see the dirt under my toe-nails in chest deep water

Playa-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 03:18 AM   #3
ZCCRX
Registered Member

No, there aren't any nails in this stuff. I collected it out of the water in small handfulls until I filled up the bucket. My concern is, if I add it as "live" sand to my already established tank sand, will I send the tank into a cycle somehow?

Unread 06/14/2008, 03:38 AM   #4
Playa-1
Moved On

I doubt it. But i depends on how long it's been out of the water and how mature the tank is that it's going into.

Playa-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 05:57 AM   #5
steve9
Registered Member

YOUR SAND IS GREAT TO ADD ...JUST GET IT FRESH....I USE SAND FROM HOME DEPO...WORKS GREAT...

steve9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 09:00 AM   #6
sdietz2469
stickhead n chalice freak

i always wondered the same thing... i always thought that the beaches were dirty, as the waves are like natures protien skimmer, the foam the waves produce and push to shore are polluted with all the nastyness, therefore the sand would be poluted.......i thought to get good live sand, you would have to go dive for it at about a 15 ft depth, with the tide all the way out, to ensure it was clean sand.... just my thoughts...
shane

Current Tank Info: 300DD sps dominant, ATB Med ext w/airstar 4-6105s, apex, geo 618 CaRx, PM 620 kalk, 500 gal total water. Check out my build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2116897
sdietz2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 09:22 AM   #7
wiscsaltwater
Registered Member

its definately risky but you might be ok.

Current Tank Info: 550g salt, 55g salt, 29g salt
wiscsaltwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2008, 12:36 PM   #8
ZCCRX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdietz2469
i always wondered the same thing... i always thought that the beaches were dirty, as the waves are like natures protien skimmer, the foam the waves produce and push to shore are polluted with all the nastyness, therefore the sand would be poluted.......i thought to get good live sand, you would have to go dive for it at about a 15 ft depth, with the tide all the way out, to ensure it was clean sand.... just my thoughts...
shane
Yea, I see what your saying, however these beaches on the keys aren't like some of the beaches you might be thinking of when you consider the "skimming" element. I have been to beaches before where there is definatly some "skimming" going on, as evidenced by actual foam in the surf and on the shore.

This beach was, like I said, pristine. The water and sand was absolutely beautiful, which was what compelled me to bring some of it home. I have little concern of pollution, my concern is combining another bacterial culture with my already existing one.

Unread 06/14/2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Aquabucket
Premium Member

I think you will be fine if you just add a cup or 2 at a time. Keep the rest of it aerated in the meantime.