Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/20/2007, 08:35 PM   #226
specialkb
Registered Member

My GF is taking me next weekend for my birthday, so is it worth the 50$ for behind the scenes or no?

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef, setting up 230G Reef
specialkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2007, 09:34 PM   #227
TitusvileSurfer
Registered Member

I would pay $100 for a behind the scenes tour of that place.

Unread 07/30/2007, 11:37 PM   #228
dillagas
Registered Member

Talking personal experience

Yeah it is really worth the extra money for the behind the scenes tour, if possible take the last tour of the day, i got lucky and the lady said it is usually the least crowded tour of the day. We got to spend an extensive amount of time behinds the scene above the reef and it is truly a masterpiece of engineering. Not that the whole place isn't crazy, the behinds the scene tour really is a great way to close out your day in this amazing aquarium

dillagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2009, 09:24 AM   #229
onetimer
Registered Member

Thumbs up wowser!

I joined on just to tell you how amazing these pictures are! I have worked at the aquarium since its opening and love taking pictures around here and peeking at people's photos and cameras as well. I've gotta know...what kind of camera and lens were you using. This is a great testament to how the exhibits looked at opening. Thanks for sharing!

onetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2009, 09:50 AM   #230
jwedehase
Registered Member

Wow, thanks! The camera was a Canon 20D, and I used the 28-135mm IS.

"Looked at opening." Are they different now!? Maybe someday this California boy will make it back.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef. 2x250w HQI 14K, 4x39w T5HO. AquaEuro 400
jwedehase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2009, 10:02 AM   #231
onetimer
Registered Member

constant change

Yes, things have changed quite a bit. Much less trevallies and cownose rays, but a myriad of new additions...lionfish, emerald tree boa, upcoming dolphin exhibit. Kind of an even exchange of some animals off exhibit for construction (penguis, sea lions)...some new things coming.

onetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2009, 01:53 PM   #232
lostintheocean
Registered Member

great pics. i booked my hotel room last week adn will be there in a few weeks. I cant wait. I am glad I saw this, i never thoguh about gettingadvanced ticket but I will be sure to get my tickets tomorrow.

lostintheocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2009, 02:33 PM   #233
Snakebyt
Registered Member

great pics

Snakebyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2009, 02:53 PM   #234
launchnukes
Registered Member

great pics. and a great walkthrough. i'd love to make a trip up there sometime.

Previous Tank: 300DD Display 500g system.
launchnukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2009, 03:05 PM   #235
100%hydrophylic
Registered Member

great pics. ive been to the ga aquarium several times. live pretty close actually. but if you ever have the chance you should go behind the scenes. its really cool.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 28g nano SPS
100%hydrophylic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2009, 03:45 PM   #236
tkimmons85
Registered Member

Wow, in a few of those pics it truly looks as if your staring into the majestic ocean. Unbelievable !

tkimmons85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 12:19 PM   #237
wjake
Registered Member

quick point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedehase View Post
For you maintenance/equipment nerds, here's a shot of the big tank's surface. I'm presuming this is how they cool it. There were several of these areas that looked like a helicopter overhead.

Actually that is not for cooling, it is to obscure the surface of the water so you cant see the ceiling overhead. they use chillers in the main pump room. We have a seasons pass and go about 50 times/yr and have taken the behind the scenes tour 5 times.

wjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 12:23 PM   #238
wjake
Registered Member

BTW when you go ck out the weedy sea dragons, they cost the aquarium 35k/yr per specimen and they have about 4-5 of them!!

wjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 12:32 PM   #239
anbosu
Registered Member

It is pretty interesting to see what the aquarium looked like when it opened, most of the schooling fish are gone from the main tank. I assume they were too difficult to maintain or the hammerheads got hungry. I hope the humphead wrasses make it to maturity, seeing a couple 5-6 footers swimming around in there would be pretty spectacular.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 12:35 PM   #240
greggnyce
Registered Member

i wish I did the behind the scenes tour. The in law was with us and she is a bummer!lol

Current Tank Info: 120 gl oceanic tech, 30 gallon fuge, 40 gallon sump, Itech 200 skimmer, LED Lighting . Mixed reef.
greggnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 12:46 PM   #241
DustnF
Moved On

Very awesome. My brother got engaged in the tunnel in this aquarium.

DustnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 01:23 PM   #242
Untamed12
Registered Member

I recently took the behind the scenes tour for my 2nd time, and I can't recommend it anymore.

You no longer get the opportunity to go out on the catwalk over the OV exhibit. (I guess a manta jumped and crashed into the catwalk, so they rarely use it anymore). That was a highlight of the tour that isn't there anymore, sadly.

I find that the tour, unfortunately, gets dumbed down to appealing to 5 year olds. At one point, the tour consisted of encouraging children to roll down the hallway. I don't need to pay for a tour to see that. The tour guides do not have the expertise necessary to answer the kind of questions that a hobbiest might ask...(although they will makes notes and find you the answers later, which I appreciated)

They also now stop the tour so that everyone can get their picture taken individually in front of the fence beside the OV exhibit. Silly.

I suggested that the GA consider creating a tour specifically for hobbiests. As is, I won't go on the behind the scenes tour again.

btw...They are clearly struggling with the reef exhibit. Given the number of years it has been running, I expected to see some large coral formations...but they must have had a setback or are finding it difficult to grow coral at all. I loved seeing the full grown vlamingis and unicorns...but it looks more like FOWLR at this point.

Current Tank Info: 400gal Envision Acrylic reef started 04/07
Untamed12 is offline   Reply With Quote