Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2014, 01:33 PM   #1676
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^ if you do not have any skimmate gets some and place it in your sump that will help with the break in, the skimmer only works correctly if they're is something to skim. The 170 is a powerful skimmer especially on a 75 gallon tank.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 03:20 PM   #1677
kelp47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
^^^^ if you do not have any skimmate gets some and place it in your sump that will help with the break in, the skimmer only works correctly if they're is something to skim. The 170 is a powerful skimmer especially on a 75 gallon tank.
Thanks for the advice. By the way, I do have another 25 or so gallons in the sump, so it should be sized about right. Live sand and rock should be going in next week

75 gal mixed reef
kelp47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2014, 01:04 PM   #1678
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

The pulsing will subside as it breaks in and slimes up.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2014, 09:35 PM   #1679
kelp47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
The pulsing will subside as it breaks in and slimes up.
Okay, thanks. So I guess it's also normal for the water level to suddenly rise and spill over on occasion during the break-in period? The pulsing sound has subsided, so this is all I'm dealing with now. I'm turning the wedge pipe a little before I go to bed or leave the house so that I don't end up with water splashing out on the floor. It will be fine for hours, and then all of a sudden I hear the top bouncing on the collection cup, and water is spilling out. (I don't really have anything to skim at the moment, but will change that within a week.)

75 gal mixed reef
Unread 04/23/2014, 01:11 PM   #1680
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

It's because you're trying to dial the skimmer in to skim with no bioload right now. I'd suggest setting the water level really low in the skimmer, about 1" below the connection where the cup meets the body and just leave it there for now. The skimmer will continue to break-in, and any little bump in organics for the time being will result in the skimmer height somewhat increasing and maybe building a little bit of a foam head.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2014, 03:43 PM   #1681
kelp47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy B. View Post
It's because you're trying to dial the skimmer in to skim with no bioload right now. I'd suggest setting the water level really low in the skimmer, about 1" below the connection where the cup meets the body and just leave it there for now. The skimmer will continue to break-in, and any little bump in organics for the time being will result in the skimmer height somewhat increasing and maybe building a little bit of a foam head.
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks, Jeremy!

75 gal mixed reef
Unread 05/01/2014, 02:43 PM   #1682
MFR
Registered Member

Why are you looking for a change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxDaddy View Post
If anyone knows someone looking for a Vertex Alpha 250 I'm thinkin of letting mine go.
I also have a 250 on a heavily stocked 220 gal. I got it when they first came out. Got the upgraded venturi (three turns out). Sometimes I feel that it is too much for my system. I'm curious about your concern with the skimmer is. Thanks, MR

MFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2014, 05:19 AM   #1683
belgian_jeff
Registered Member

Can you tell me if the vetex alpha 170 is powerful enough for a reef aquarium 410L
What is the depth of the skimmer to work properly (I have actually 25cm)?
thank you

belgian_jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2014, 09:33 AM   #1684
Strobes
Registered Member

I have a question for u alpha 250 guys, I'm running a 210 with 75 gallon sump with probably 50 gallons of volume, so I'd say about 260 gallons. It's a fowlr with lots of big fish and heavy bioload, do you think the 250 would be too much for my setup? I would probably buy the 200 if I was able to buy new but I can't afford that and I found a good deal on a 250 locally. Lmk what you guys think,
Sorry if it's been covered before but I don't have time to search thru all the posts in here.

Strobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2014, 07:57 PM   #1685
strout
Registered Member

Just got my Vertex Alpha 170 today, guess I should have bought something else My old skimmer was, wait for it,,, a Vertex Alpha 170 it woked great, thats why I bought the same skimmer This new skimmer however has problems, I am skimming nothing. The water coming out of the motor into the skimmer is pulsating so bad, I can't get a foam head in the skimmer, well maybe a small foam top. Anyway, whats up with this and what can I do about it.

strout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2014, 09:08 PM   #1686
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strout View Post
Just got my Vertex Alpha 170 today, guess I should have bought something else My old skimmer was, wait for it,,, a Vertex Alpha 170 it woked great, thats why I bought the same skimmer This new skimmer however has problems, I am skimming nothing. The water coming out of the motor into the skimmer is pulsating so bad, I can't get a foam head in the skimmer, well maybe a small foam top. Anyway, whats up with this and what can I do about it.
Did you buy it new? If not, take the pump apart and inspect it and make sure the impeller isn't spinning on the shaft. Do you have the adjustable volutes? If not, there should be two size volutes. At least my Alpha 300 had two different sized fixed ones. If you have two different ones, try switching the size. If you don't try adjusting the volute on the pump. You should probably be starting at 1.5 turns out and opening it more from there.. Did your sump level change since the last time you ran a 170? You may need to raise the sump level or lower the skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2014, 03:16 AM   #1687
strout
Registered Member

Yes, I bought it new from one of the RC sponsors. On my skimmer, I have a white knob where the water intake for the skimmer is at, this is asjustable. Not knowing what to do, I just let it run last night and its been running about 12 hours since I took it out of the box. I now have a foam head and skimmed material in the skim cup not real dark, but skimmed material none the less. That was the good news, the bad is its still pulsating the water out of the motor and into the shimmer chamber. Sump level is the same 10 inches from when I took my old Aplha 170 out of the sump. I removed the old one and just replaced it with the new one.

Unread 08/09/2014, 03:24 AM   #1688
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Hi strout...

i would like you inform you abot the Vertex Alphas : .. .the new Alphas are not made by Royal-Exclusiv. The Partnership is ending last year. The last shipment alphas to Vertex was in april 2013. The pumps and bodys make Vertex now himself.

best regards ... Klaus

Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2014, 08:47 AM   #1689
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strout View Post
Yes, I bought it new from one of the RC sponsors. On my skimmer, I have a white knob where the water intake for the skimmer is at, this is asjustable. Not knowing what to do, I just let it run last night and its been running about 12 hours since I took it out of the box. I now have a foam head and skimmed material in the skim cup not real dark, but skimmed material none the less. That was the good news, the bad is its still pulsating the water out of the motor and into the shimmer chamber. Sump level is the same 10 inches from when I took my old Aplha 170 out of the sump. I removed the old one and just replaced it with the new one.
It could take a week or so for the skimmer to settle in. Once it's broken in, the turbulence in the skimmer body should settle down.

Does this skimmer have a red dragon pump or the new vertex pump? FWIW, 10" seems a bit high if you ask me. As Klause mentioned, RE is no longer making the skimmers and as such, the new Vertex skimmers don't come with the Red Dragon pumps. It's possible you have a left over RE made skimmer but without know which pump you have, there is no way to tell.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 08/09/2014, 07:47 PM   #1690
strout
Registered Member

I am not sure the brand of motor on the skimmer ,,,, I know its not a Red Dragon Thats what I had on my old Alpha 170 skimmer. I will lower the water level in the sump in the morning when I do my weekly water change. Update with the skimmer after 24 hours : Skimmer is skimming better, more bubbles and a better bubble skim head, motor is still pulsating which, I am sure isn't helping the skimmer to work as it should. The middle section of the skimmer, where the drain hose is at, looks like a washing machine in there, bubbles going all over the place, instead of up.

Unread 08/11/2014, 11:09 AM   #1691
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Hi strout...

pictures was helpfull from the Motorblock..... if it is a Red Dragon Pump, i can help.... if not, sorry, please contact Proline.

Maybe you make a View on our Double-Cone Skimmers. Thats the new skimmerline from Royal-Exclusiv.

With a RD 3 speedy pump, a dreamteam.... Please ask Premium-Aquatics...

best regards .. .Klaus

(Pictures from RE-Customers)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1606912_10200961137469985_7323457783318966735_n.jpg (60.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 75146-11.jpg (66.0 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Klaus Jansen; 08/11/2014 at 11:19 AM.
Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 01:15 AM   #1692
Jay Ellul
Registered Member

My double cone 150 did not work at 8 inches. would fill cup in half a day with pipe fullly open. I made some 1inch legs for it and its working better now but the pipe still needs to be full open....

Anyone else have experience With the DC150?

Jay Ellul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2014, 06:58 PM   #1693
aravindk
Registered Member

Looking for a neck cleaner for my vertex alpha 200. Any recommendations?

aravindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2014, 10:24 AM   #1694
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindk View Post
Looking for a neck cleaner for my vertex alpha 200. Any recommendations?
Vertex Vectra with the 200mm lid will be a good choice. Your other alternative is the Avast Swabbie with the 200mm lid. Personally, I'd lean towards the Vectra as they have a slot routed in to the lid to better center the lid to the collection cup. Based on a recent conversation I had with Avast, they did away with the slot in the lid and only use the centering screws on their current Swabbie's. The slot will also help in prevent condensation from escaping the collection cup and running down the outside of it so I think having the slot routed into the underside of the lid is a good thing.

Unread 10/03/2014, 10:50 AM   #1695
aravindk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Vertex Vectra with the 200mm lid will be a good choice. Your other alternative is the Avast Swabbie with the 200mm lid. Personally, I'd lean towards the Vectra as they have a slot routed in to the lid to better center the lid to the collection cup. Based on a recent conversation I had with Avast, they did away with the slot in the lid and only use the centering screws on their current Swabbie's. The slot will also help in prevent condensation from escaping the collection cup and running down the outside of it so I think having the slot routed into the underside of the lid is a good thing.
thanks slief. going to place an order right away.

Unread 10/04/2014, 01:42 AM   #1696
JohnoL
Registered Member

Hi Everyone.

I have a Vertex 170 with the BK1000 pump. It about 10mths old.

Today, I turned the skimmer off to empty the cup.
Upon turning it back on, the pump makes a pulsing noise and won't suck any air.

The pump being relatively new, has no build-up of anything whatsoever.

Regardless, I've pulled the pump apart (several times) and soaked everything in a 50/50 vinegar/water solution for 1.5hrs.

I've placed everything back together (making sure the bearing and rubber gasket are in place) and it still pulses and won't suck any air.
(it tries to but doesn't seem to have the power?).

The pump seems to shake/rattle more than usual.

Could the magnet be spinning around the shaft?

Has anyone had this problem? Klaus - Little help? Thanks.

JohnoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2014, 01:27 PM   #1697
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnoL View Post
Hi Everyone.

I have a Vertex 170 with the BK1000 pump. It about 10mths old.

Today, I turned the skimmer off to empty the cup.
Upon turning it back on, the pump makes a pulsing noise and won't suck any air.

The pump being relatively new, has no build-up of anything whatsoever.

Regardless, I've pulled the pump apart (several times) and soaked everything in a 50/50 vinegar/water solution for 1.5hrs.

I've placed everything back together (making sure the bearing and rubber gasket are in place) and it still pulses and won't suck any air.
(it tries to but doesn't seem to have the power?).

The pump seems to shake/rattle more than usual.

Could the magnet be spinning around the shaft?

Has anyone had this problem? Klaus - Little help? Thanks.
If the magnet is spinning on the shaft, it's an easy issue to trouble shoot. Just pull the impeller and try to rotate the magnet. Of it spins then you have found your issue. The magnet is bonded to the shaft and should not spin at all.

If that proves not to be the case, then you are most likely looking at a bad motor block. While these pumps are one of the most reliable pumps out there, failures do happen.

If you need a new motorblock, you have one of two choices. Buy the BK block assuming your warranty is expired or purchase the cheaper generic Laguna Maxflo 1000 and pull it apart to get the motor block out. It's the same block as the BK1000 except it has a longer cord and no base plate. Pry the base plate off your BK1000 and glue it to the Laguna. Then put your impeller and volute on the new block.
Here is a link to a reasonably priced Maxflo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAGUNA-MAX-F...-/330802997653

Unread 10/07/2014, 04:46 AM   #1698
JohnoL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
If the magnet is spinning on the shaft, it's an easy issue to trouble shoot. Just pull the impeller and try to rotate the magnet. Of it spins then you have found your issue. The magnet is bonded to the shaft and should not spin at all.
You are on the money Scott!
I pulled it apart (again) and compared it to another BK pump I have (BK1800 - I think?) and found the magnet is supposed to be bonded to the shaft.

I super glued the shaft and magnet back together and now it's working - although a bit noisier than usual.

But hey - it works, and I don't have to buy a new pump/part.

Thanks for you advice!

P.S. when's the next lafishguy episode on your tank

JohnoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 10:52 AM   #1699
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnoL View Post
You are on the money Scott!
I pulled it apart (again) and compared it to another BK pump I have (BK1800 - I think?) and found the magnet is supposed to be bonded to the shaft.

I super glued the shaft and magnet back together and now it's working - although a bit noisier than usual.

But hey - it works, and I don't have to buy a new pump/part.

Thanks for you advice!

P.S. when's the next lafishguy episode on your tank
Glad to help. The noise may be because you didn't get the magnet in the right position. A little high or a little low on the shaft will cause that. Either way, glad you got it working.

We shot a new episode a couple weeks back covering my switch from Reeftech LED's to 8 Kessil 360WE's as well as some discussion on my display refugium and a couple other things. Jim's plan is to finish the editing up this weekend so I would say it should be online end of this coming weekend if not next week. It's a 3 part episode and as such, I am not sure whether he will release all 3 parts at once or spread them out over a week or two.

Unread 10/12/2014, 06:35 PM   #1700
aravindk
Registered Member

I want to add a neck cleaner and waste collector to my Vertex 200. However the skimmer neck outlet is situated below the sump (pl see the attached pic). I also don't have much room left inside the sump. Any idea how I can plumb the waste collector?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1413160312404.jpg (32.5 KB, 33 views)