Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2010, 12:43 PM   #1
advanwoerden
Registered Member

chemi pure and algae question

Hi, 3 questions actually (somewhat related).

I just got a bag of chemipure elite, for my 30g AIO with a bad algae problem. I just finished cycling the tank, and used tap water, which is why I have the algae bloom (only added my first fish today, after 1.5 months). After rinsing, I just put the nylon pouch of chemipure in the bottom of one of the back chambers - do I need to put it in a filter sock or something like that, or is it fine as is? My tank is kind of cloudy now..

Second question is, how can I get rid of all this algae? its a mix of different types of hair algae. I tried taking as much of it out by hand as possible, but I've reached my limit. Any type of snails/fish/crabs/slugs you recommend?

Last question, there seems to be a lot of "particles" in the water column, 90% sure they aren't micro bubbles. I cleaned out the 2 sponge filters in the back (extremely dirty), but 24 hrs later and it doesn't look any better. I'm going to try a water change, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/ideas of what is the cause of this. I tried turning off my return pump and powerhead, but didn't help.

Thank you in advance for your help!

advanwoerden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Hillbilly318
Registered Member

pics... and the chemi pure can be put anywhere in the tank, aslong as it has flow your great.

I swear by the stuff...

Hillbilly318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2010, 02:56 PM   #3
advanwoerden
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/al...ictureid=10149

Only have my phone, no camera, so not sure how helpful the pic will be...

Is it ok that my chemipure is only in the nylon bag it comes with? How long till the cloudiness goes away?

Unread 02/22/2010, 11:24 PM   #4
advanwoerden
Registered Member

bump. cloudiness went away, particles seem to have decreased after water change and cleaning the filter sponges, but are still there, tang that i just bought DESTROYED most of my algae, but hasn't touched the short dark green hair algae..

-anyone know what eats the short dark green hair algae? looks kind of like thick grass
-anyone have some more insight on the "particles" in the water column and how to get rid of them?

Thanks, as always

Unread 02/23/2010, 01:06 AM   #5
CWP
Registered Member

I have an urchin that eats any algae on the rock, good or bad.

CWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2010, 08:53 PM   #6
advanwoerden
Registered Member

Bump on suggestions other than urchins- I have a 30g reef tank, wouldn't work so well...

"-anyone know what eats the short dark green hair algae? looks kind of like thick grass
-anyone have some more insight on the "particles" in the water column and how to get rid of them?"

Unread 02/24/2010, 09:50 PM   #7
CWP
Registered Member

There is a thread here on RC where people, including myself now, are using algaefix marine with some success. Not sure which forum, but it's here.

Unread 02/24/2010, 09:53 PM   #8
CWP
Registered Member

It's in the Reef Chemistry forum and the title has Algaefix Marine in it. It's on the first page near the bottom.

Tags
algae, chemi pure, micro bubbles, particles