Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 07:20 PM   #1
bmxman37
Registered Member

Seaweed clip question....

Hello... I was wondering... instead of my giant omega one clip that tends to fall off every once in a while... I have these Ohio state (has print is what I was getting at) half rubber and plastic with a magnet on the back.... and I was just going to use another magnet on the back. Do you think that wrighting could come off or any problem with that magnet in the water? I finally got my tang to eat off a clip instead of a rubber banding it to a rock every day!! Ha

bmxman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 07:30 PM   #2
Reef noob_
Registered Member

If the magnet is exposed it will rust in the saltwater...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Build in progress http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528685
90 gallon DT, 65 Gallon Fuge, Chinese LEDs, LPS and Soft coral reef
Reef noob_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 07:32 PM   #3
Haunt
Registered Member

Just cut the Nori into small pieces with some scissors. Soak it in some water for a few minutes and feed it like you would flakes. Problem solved.

Unread 02/08/2018, 11:37 PM   #4
nycman
Registered Member

you could always get the ones that hand on the tank rim and use no magnets nor suction cups

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 01:41 AM   #5
Watchm@n
Registered Member

Is your tank braced or rimless...
Mine is braced... So I have a clip and threaded some fishing line through it.. Then made a knot around the brace...
So whenever I feed.. I just drop the clip in and it sinks maybe 5 inches or so below the water... And everyone has a feast... When they are done.. I just pull the fishing line back up again... No need to put my hand in the tank...

I got the idea from someone on YouTube.. So not claiming it as my own... But works great...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Watchm@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 06:16 AM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

I suspended the clip with fish line in the middle of the water column. This way snails and sea urchins cannot get to it. Just the fishes. I have several Urchins, and a huge abalone that would make short works of the seaweed that I feeds the fishes everyday. The CUC need to earn their keep by eating the algae on the rock.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 07:50 AM   #7
YetiCrab
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I suspended the clip with fish line in the middle of the water column. This way snails and sea urchins cannot get to it. Just the fishes. I have several Urchins, and a huge abalone that would make short works of the seaweed that I feeds the fishes everyday. The CUC need to earn their keep by eating the algae on the rock.

I do something similar. I cut a piece of 3/4 pvc and hang it with fishing line. I attach the nori with a rubber band. This allows the larger fish to tear without pulling the entire sheet.

YetiCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 08:04 AM   #8
homer1475
Registered Member

My fish won't go near a seaweed clip, instead I just roll a small piece up and rubber band it to a rock. The rock is a more natural and the fish are not afraid of it.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 09:40 PM   #9
bmxman37
Registered Member

I was doin a rubber band to a rock but i got tired of sticking my hand at the bottom of the tank every day and the yellow tang i rescued just got over hlle and i wanted to always have seaweed available just so he is as healthy as he can be.... He has been eating off that clip lately... I honestly just hate how it looks.. That bright blue plastic omega clip.. I just thought $24 was kind of steep for that nice magnetic one........ Also while im here... I had a nidas blenny jump through my old cover. I just made a new one with the plastic mesh for a screen. Do you think that block too much light? I was thinking of just drilling holes in it.

Unread 02/11/2018, 03:30 AM   #10
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxman37 View Post
I was doin a rubber band to a rock but i got tired of sticking my hand at the bottom of the tank every day and the yellow tang i rescued just got over hlle and i wanted to always have seaweed available just so he is as healthy as he can be.... He has been eating off that clip lately... I honestly just hate how it looks.. That bright blue plastic omega clip.. I just thought $24 was kind of steep for that nice magnetic one........ Also while im here... I had a nidas blenny jump through my old cover. I just made a new one with the plastic mesh for a screen. Do you think that block too much light? I was thinking of just drilling holes in it.
What kind of plastic mesh? Like this?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 01:16 AM   #11
bmxman37
Registered Member

no i literally had a whole roll of plastic screen that you would have on ur sliding screen door... and already had the parts laying around to build the frame. at first i put it on just like that .... but i thought it was a little too restrictive, so i drilled a whole every square inch... working great, I'm even evaporating about half the water i was before . which is nice.... maybe add a few more holes if i see any corals stretching..... what is nice is i left out holes like where the sand bed is so its really highlighting just the places corals are and keeping my prisoned fish .... i should start making them i have so much extra

Unread 02/14/2018, 12:24 PM   #12
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Guys -- you can always use the magnetic glass cleaner instead of a clip.

Unread 02/14/2018, 03:34 PM   #13
mako61
Registered Member

Two Little Fishies Veggiemag

a little pricey, but works great. I fold my nori a couple time so they cant rip it apart so easy.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 08:00 PM   #14
running scott
Registered Member

Ok I will share my secret nori feeding invention with all of you. Mag float, nori, BRS screen, and rubber bands holding the screen over the nori. Allows the fish to only take small nips, no big chunks ever floating around the tank. No loosing the wet side “it floats”. Cut the screen so it wraps most of the way around the mag float. YOU ARE ALL WELCOME.

running scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 10:44 PM   #15
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by running scott View Post
Ok I will share my secret nori feeding invention with all of you. Mag float, nori, BRS screen, and rubber bands holding the screen over the nori. Allows the fish to only take small nips, no big chunks ever floating around the tank. No loosing the wet side “it floats”. Cut the screen so it wraps most of the way around the mag float. YOU ARE ALL WELCOME.

Screenshot to remember in the AM.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote