Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2012, 11:54 PM   #76
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugs View Post
Your tank look nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
Sweet. Dope sump you got and a sick tank. Now get to work I wan to see more
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore1811 View Post
Absolutely awesome vision and build, good luck on your journey! +1 Subscribed!

Ladybugs, Allsps40, Moore1811... thank you for your comments. I am glad that you are following my thread. Feel free to make suggestions and offer input. I am glad that you are here.

danfeig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 04:59 AM   #77
jarrett shark
Registered Member

Nice!!!!!

jarrett shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 05:30 AM   #78
Ward1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Thank you attaboy! It has been a long, long day. I am going with LED's and will add more information about them tomorrow. As far as the sump measurements, 6'x3'x2'.

As far as cleaning the glass... definitely some long sticks, strong magnets and a lot of elbow grease!

Glad you are following along!
I went back and forth trying different methods of clean my tank glass opposite the access side of the tank. Then a friend showed me a really simple device: http://www.algaefree.com/easy_blade.html

My wife was very pleased as she didnt have to stand there and spot while i stood on a ladder reaching with a scraper. I just go slow with it so I don't put scrapes on the glass...

Ward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 10:17 AM   #79
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Lighting - what to decide???

Several of you have asked what am I going to do about lighting. Especially with a tank that is 48" deep. Lighting is one of the primary issues that I have spent considerable time investigating, questioning and comparing.

At first, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to go with 400 Watt Metal Halides. What other choices did I have with a tank this deep? Look at chingchai's and all of the other deep, deep tanks.

Then I started reading more about LED's. All of the reef and aquarium magazines were reporting on them and there were numerous reports written by Dr. Sanjay Joshi that made a strong case for options to MH. It was clear to me that the waive of the future was heading towards LED's.

I started weighing the pros & cons between MH, VHO's, and LED's. They were plentiful. Yes, my electric bills would be significantly higher with metal halides, but then there was the heat I would have to deal with; the additional fans and chillers. How about growth? How about color?

Cost certainly entered the equation but it was not the deciding factor. I really became impressed with a number of larger reef tanks that were using LED's. They weren't necessarily as deep, but, the colors of their tanks and growth of their corals were very rich.

I started contacting all of the LED companies along with the authors of the numerous lighting reports we have been seeing in the reef keeping and aquarium magazines. The question was asked, what would you recommend for a 48" reef aquarium?

I was very impressed with four different companies:

Reeftech
Ecotech Marine
Orphek
Ecoxotic Cannon

Each company offered many different benefits and all were confident that they could serve my needs. I was very close to pulling the plug with Reeftech and their Prometheus units. Bennytheblenny has been using them on his 36" deep tank and has been impressed. I liked their software controllability. They even offered to fly down to Tucson to install. Orphek has been updating their lines of LED fixtures. Nineball seems very happy with them on his "Coral Tank from Canada" build thread. Ecoxotic's 100 watt Cannon pendants are very, very powerful.

Who did I go with? I ended up choosing 12 units of Ecotech Marines XR30w's. Several reasons but they really stood out above all the rest. Most importantly, the company has been around for some time and stands behind their product. Their lights are upgradeable as technology changes. Wireless compatibility. The color spectrum that they offer is great! David00061 has been very pleased with his 12 units on his "Mixed 500 gal. A.G.E. build. 12 unit LED Radion lights" build thread and has documented some impressive growth.

Again, I recognize that I have a very deep tank. If I don't feel that I am getting enough light on the bottom of the tank or too low of PAR readings, it will be easy to add a couple of the 100 watt Cannon pendants.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 05/20/2012, 11:55 AM   #80
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward1 View Post
I went back and forth trying different methods of clean my tank glass opposite the access side of the tank. Then a friend showed me a really simple device: http://www.algaefree.com/easy_blade.html

My wife was very pleased as she didnt have to stand there and spot while i stood on a ladder reaching with a scraper. I just go slow with it so I don't put scrapes on the glass...
Thanks Ward1! I will look into those. I am hoping that by going with LED's, I am not going to have as much algae buildup on the glass. Obviously, I am going to have some big strong magnetic cleaners. Glad you are following along!

Unread 05/20/2012, 12:41 PM   #81
TprMoore
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
You had my attention before....now you really have it

A friend of mine has 4 Radion units over his 180 gal. and he's very happy with the results, it's not nearly as deep as your tank; he has his lights 10" off the surface and they're only at 70% intensity (he has no intentions of turning them up either). With that said his PAR readings and corals on the bottom are very happy so I'd imagine you'd be just fine.

Will we be seeing some MP60's as well?!

TprMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 02:05 PM   #82
sillygoose
Registered Member

Once this is all up and running, you're going to have to have an open house for the Tucson reefers. I'll bring champagne!

sillygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 02:12 PM   #83
EsrefCAN
Registered Member

Good job!!!!

EsrefCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 03:09 PM   #84
brbrem
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
Once this is all up and running, you're going to have to have an open house for the Tucson reefers. I'll bring champagne!
I second that! Very nice build. Soon to be Reef Central TOTM!

brbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 03:35 PM   #85
husslr187
Registered Member

nice build iwas thinking about going with the same lighting over my 210 when i get it started. one question though, in one of your pics it shows your front door handle really close to the same height as the tank. is it possible for it to hit the tank? might just be the angle of the picture.

Unread 05/20/2012, 03:59 PM   #86
allsps40
Registered Member

OMG dope I got to see this when its done.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 04:24 PM   #87
thewire
Registered Member

That's ****ing nuts! $10k on the lighting LOL...very nice...

thewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 05:37 PM   #88
brettinteriors
Registered Member

Yes, yes, yes. I too vote for an open house.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

140 gallon half round mixed reef, 28 gallon Cardiff.
brettinteriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 06:13 PM   #89
Elliott
Registered Member

very nice work to date, subscribed

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 09:30 PM   #90
brettinteriors
Registered Member

Wow, one day down the line please post some dusk to dawn pics. I have always been intrigued by the ability of the radion's to simulate a dusk to dawn effect with both light intensity and spectrum. How did the plumbing go today?

Unread 05/20/2012, 09:35 PM   #91
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

danfeig,

how do you plan on mounting the Radions?

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 11:09 PM   #92
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
Champagne???? I am going to want beer!

Unread 05/20/2012, 11:15 PM   #93
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrefCAN View Post
Good job!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrem View Post
I second that! Very nice build. Soon to be Reef Central TOTM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
OMG dope I got to see this when its done.
[QUOTE=brettinteriors;20274198]Yes, yes, yes. I too vote for an open house.

Thank you guys. All right... Sometime after I am back from vacation this summer and introduce all of the fish and coral - we can plan an Open House. I'll let Michael and Cuong @ Symply Elegant (SEA) make all the arrangements.

Still a lot of work ahead!!

Unread 05/20/2012, 11:20 PM   #94
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by husslr187 View Post
nice build iwas thinking about going with the same lighting over my 210 when i get it started. one question though, in one of your pics it shows your front door handle really close to the same height as the tank. is it possible for it to hit the tank? might just be the angle of the picture.
Great observation husslr187!!!!

Yes, the door handle can smack right into the steel frame surrounding the tank and possibly glass. My handyman has ordered an extended door stop for the floorboard and I am also getting door stops for the hinges!

I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and for following along!

Unread 05/20/2012, 11:22 PM   #95
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewire View Post
That's ****ing nuts! $10k on the lighting LOL...very nice...
I think that the lights will be one of my greatest investments for my system. That and my protein skimmer! The lights are going to save me a ton on electricity, not to mention that I most likely will be able to avoid using a chiller.

Thanks for joining in!

Unread 05/20/2012, 11:24 PM   #96
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
very nice work to date, subscribed
Thank you Elliott! I am glad to have you following along. Things are just getting started and it is all very exciting!

Unread 05/20/2012, 11:26 PM   #97
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
danfeig,

how do you plan on mounting the Radions?
Michael from SEA will be designing and building a rack system utilizing Ecotech's new Radion hanging kit. I wanted some type of rack though that could be raised an lowered.

Unread 05/20/2012, 11:29 PM   #98
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettinteriors View Post
Wow, one day down the line please post some dusk to dawn pics. I have always been intrigued by the ability of the radion's to simulate a dusk to dawn effect with both light intensity and spectrum. How did the plumbing go today?
brettinteriors... It went great! A long day. I will post pics tomorrow as I am dead. Everything has been scheduled and is going like clockwork. Who ever heard of plumbers being scheduled for a Sunday?

Unread 05/21/2012, 12:08 AM   #99
brettinteriors
Registered Member

I thought Mike was pluming it today

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Unread 05/21/2012, 12:10 AM   #100
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

Can you post some pics of the plumbing you completed? I want to get a behind the scenes feel for how this is set up in your fish room.

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote