Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2017, 09:28 PM   #26
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch08 View Post
WOW! Very nice work!

Thank you! It's not quite perfect, but it's amazing what you can hide with grout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use your reef to educate others on the fragility of the world's oceans. By saving the oceans, we can save the planet.

Current Tank Info: 90g Oceanic Tech Tank, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP40wES, Reef Octopus Extreme 160, 2x Deluxe BRS Reactor, 2x Laguna Max-Flo 900, 2x 250w Eheim Jager Heater, 29g Sump/Refugium, 2x Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro G3, Reef Angel Plus Controller
bidny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 10:26 PM   #27
fishresponse
Registered Member

You're probably sick of hearing this and likely not the last time, especially with your setup, but really nice. I've never seen someone use that big of steel and how there isn't any stand to maneuver where it meets the floor.

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2017, 05:00 AM   #28
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishresponse View Post
You're probably sick of hearing this and likely not the last time, especially with your setup, but really nice. I've never seen someone use that big of steel and how there isn't any stand to maneuver where it meets the floor.

Thanks! It's always a bit of a gamble trying something new, but the folks who built the stand also do work on some of the skyscrapers here in Chicago, so I know they do good work.

Use your reef to educate others on the fragility of the world's oceans. By saving the oceans, we can save the planet.

Current Tank Info: 90g Oceanic Tech Tank, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP40wES, Reef Octopus Extreme 160, 2x Deluxe BRS Reactor, 2x Laguna Max-Flo 900, 2x 250w Eheim Jager Heater, 29g Sump/Refugium, 2x Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro G3, Reef Angel Plus Controller
Unread 09/28/2017, 05:29 AM   #29
bidny
Registered Member

Unfortunately, that brings us to this past weekend. I had thought about moving the aquarium with a handful of family and friends. I was going to purchase a bunch of equipment to aid the effort and try to use brain over braun to get the aquarium in place.

Instead, I decided that hiring professionals was the way to go. I called a lot of places, and most weren't willing to entertain the idea. I tried piano movers, rigging companies, moving companies, etc. and finally heard back from three places, all moving companies.

One of the places wanted an absurd amount of money, nearly equal to the cost of the tank itself. A second place was much more reasonable, but they didn't sound very professional, and they didn't offer any insurance beyond their standard policy (which would have covered about $240) in the event of an issue.

The last place sounded very promising. First, they were far more professional than any of the other places. They had great reviews and BBB ratings. They also mentioned specializing in unique moves on their website, including heavy and fragile items. Finally, they offered full replacement coverage insurance for an additional cost.

I offered for them to come out and inspect the conditions before committing and to help them prepare the right equipment for the move, but they opted not to take me up on that.

The team arrived last Saturday morning with four guys, which seemed a little light to move a nearly 800 pound aquarium. They were very nice, but I think they were overconfident in their abilities. They may also not have fully considered the implications of even a small screw-up.

I told them that I would personally keep the tank in its crate until the last possible moment, but they opted to take it out of the crate immediately to reduce weight.

I texted my brother and dad as they started the move. The whole team had smiles on their faces. It was about five minutes later that I had to text them back. "They just broke it."

They hadn't even made it out of the garage when they dropped the corner onto the garage's concrete floor.

I told them to put the tank back and that I would have to open an insurance claim. There was no way I was going to fill the tank with 300 gallons of water in my own home and add dozens of fish and corals after the damage and expect it to hold out in the short or long term.

It was a sad weekend.

Last edited by bidny; 09/28/2017 at 02:20 PM.
Unread 09/28/2017, 07:00 AM   #30
d-man
Registered Member

Omg!!!!

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2017, 07:37 AM   #31
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
Omg!!!!
Yeah

I've been in contact with Miracles, and they're currently telling me that they recommend replacing the whole tank. That means I'll lose out on untold costs on the insurance claim (deductible, etc.). It also means months involved in rebuilding the tank, which basically puts me in winter for receiving the new one. If these guys couldn't move it on a beautiful summer/fall day, I would be scared to think about moving it in winter.

In the meantime, I'm trying to keep my mind occupied with the sump and plumbing.

Unread 09/28/2017, 08:58 AM   #32
Hitch08
Registered Member

Those photos made me feel sick to my stomach. Can't imagine how you feel.

Any chance that Miracles, once they build a new one for you, will be able to move it into your house and onto the stand?

Unread 09/28/2017, 02:12 PM   #33
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Those photos made me feel sick to my stomach. Can't imagine how you feel.

Any chance that Miracles, once they build a new one for you, will be able to move it into your house and onto the stand?
I don't think they offer that service, but I'll check on it. There are a few options on the table, including them dismantling the tank and rebuilding it with a new panel in the final location.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of risk involved with that. If a panel gets damaged, I would need a local shop to make a new one ASAP. And any delay would be more cost for me keeping up their team in a local hotel or flying them back out.

They are really pushing for building a new tank.

As for my stomach, it's been better. My heart certainly sank as I watched the tank crash into the concrete in slow motion. Ruined a perfectly beautiful weekend here in Chicago.

Unread 09/28/2017, 02:17 PM   #34
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
WOW! Very nice work!
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyLong View Post
This thread is going to make me unzip my pants...
...to get into your swim trunks and swim in the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
That's stand came out sweet, tagging along.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Couldn't have done it without the help of my dad and my family. Can't thank them enough. It really came out perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myna View Post
It's great to see this coming along. I would love to eventually upgrade to a large tank like that when I finally buy a house. Definitely following this one!

Yeah, upgrading to a larger tank was definitely my plan, but I didn't original plan to go this big. Seeing the space, however, this tank size just felt perfect. Good luck with your future plans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmatt View Post
Great start to this tank and thread. thanks for sharing.
Thank you! No problem. Glad you're here.

Unread 09/28/2017, 10:35 PM   #35
fishresponse
Registered Member

Holy Jesus - can't say I've had an event like this happen but my jaw dropped far enough to think it was my own tank. I can't even imagine. hopefully you can continue more of the build Sioux the tank

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 08:13 AM   #36
James404
I <3 Acros

Wow that is horrible. Is the insurance through the moving company that you are filing a claim with?

When we moved my 225g, we were able to just slide it through the house on top of the pink foam insulation. Then it was just one final lift on to the stand.

Last edited by James404; 09/29/2017 at 08:23 AM.
James404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 08:36 AM   #37
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow that is horrible. Is the insurance through the moving company that you are filing a claim with?

Yes. Allstate homeowner's insurance wouldn't apparently cover it, so I paid additional for full coverage through the moving company, who uses some third-party.

Unread 09/29/2017, 01:43 PM   #38
bidny
Registered Member

Bidny's &quot;Coral Prism&quot; 300-gallon Rimless Build

Quote:

When we moved my 225g, we were able to just slide it through the house on top of the pink foam insulation. Then it was just one final lift on to the stand.

Wish it was that easy at our house

The tank is going into the basement via a narrow exterior staircase. It actually has to be sideways to make it through the door at the bottom of this staircase.

Once through the door, one end needs to be lifted, so the tank can navigate a corner.

Unfortunately, the tank broke during the easiest part of the move. The hard parts were yet to come!

Last edited by bidny; 09/30/2017 at 10:39 PM.
Unread 09/30/2017, 10:40 PM   #39
bidny
Registered Member

Tank blood

Unread 10/01/2017, 08:20 AM   #40
James404
I <3 Acros

Ugh, such a sad site. I hope everything works out for you.

Unread 10/01/2017, 02:27 PM   #41
Myna
Registered Member

Oh noooo!!! That is so sad! I'm so sorry to read this. Hopefully your insurance comes through for you quickly so you can get a replacement.

Myna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 04:11 PM   #42
vasilithegreek
MilkSteak

Just came across this post hoping to hear what you thought about your sump. I've been in between what sump to get ave there isn't to much info/reviews on this exact one. Any info on what's going on with your tank?

vasilithegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 04:12 PM   #43
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasilithegreek View Post
Just came across this post hoping to hear what you thought about your sump. I've been in between what sump to get ave there isn't to much info/reviews on this exact one. Any info on what's going on with your tank?
Sump is still not active, unfortunately, but I'll be sure to report on it as soon as it is.

I have received the insurance check for the tank, although the movers are still insisting that I pay for the move itself. Definitely debating that one with them, as the tank is still in the same location it started with only the damage to show for it.

The new tank is in progress by Miracles. I received an update a while back, but I haven't pushed for a new update in a while. Hopefully I will be able to do so this week.

Will keep everyone updated as the new tank settles into its home.

Unread 01/29/2018, 04:50 PM   #44
HBtank
Premium Member

Reading THE post was painful. Wow.

This is where my big tank fantasies often end, wondering just how I will manage to get a dream tank where I want it without spending almost an equal amount! Oh, and the fact I live in earthquake central tempers my ambitions

Good luck, hope to see your tank in its final spot, safe and sound, soon!

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 04:57 PM   #45
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
Reading THE post was painful. Wow.

This is where my big tank fantasies often end, wondering just how I will manage to get a dream tank where I want it without spending almost an equal amount! Oh, and the fact I live in earthquake central tempers my ambitions

Good luck, hope to see your tank in its final spot, safe and sound, soon!
Thanks! I'm excited to be getting to the good part again. It's been a while. Hopefully not much longer. And, hopefully, with a successfully placed tank this time around!

Unread 01/30/2018, 09:03 AM   #46
hearttx
Registered Member

Not to be too nosey but how much was it for the tank?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

hearttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 09:15 AM   #47
anbosu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidny View Post
Sump is still not active, unfortunately, but I'll be sure to report on it as soon as it is.

I have received the insurance check for the tank, although the movers are still insisting that I pay for the move itself. Definitely debating that one with them, as the tank is still in the same location it started with only the damage to show for it.

The new tank is in progress by Miracles. I received an update a while back, but I haven't pushed for a new update in a while. Hopefully I will be able to do so this week.

Will keep everyone updated as the new tank settles into its home.
The nerve of those guys to ask you to pay for it when they didn't move it and broke it! That is amazing. I've had some bad experiences with movers but that's next level.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 11:08 AM   #48
biecacka
Registered Member

should look into seeing if your local club has some suction cups and about 8 strong guys and try to move it by yourself.
sorry to hear about the incident too, that really sucks man

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 09:16 PM   #49
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearttx View Post
Not to be too nosey but how much was it for the tank?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PM'd the info to you.

Unread 02/01/2018, 09:19 PM   #50
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
The nerve of those guys to ask you to pay for it when they didn't move it and broke it! That is amazing. I've had some bad experiences with movers but that's next level.

Yeah, it's definitely been a frustrating experience. Unfortunately, I will probably have to leave them a pretty ugly review.